• Register
  • Help

Topic: New Song #9 at Soundclick

Share/Bookmark

New Song #9 at Soundclick

Sorry for the shameless plug.
    I have a new song called High Above which is #9 in the Acoustic Guitar genre at Soundclick.
    This piece uses GPO oboe, sorry, I forget which one, but if you\'re interested I\'ll go back find out for you.
    Thanks for listening and all comments are welcome.
    Thanks,
    Toby

Re: New Song #9 at Soundclick

Very nice Toby. I like the atmospheres you created and of course the guitar. The oboe blends in beautifully. Thanks for posting this!

Gary Garritan

Nice piano and pizzicatos too. What are their origins?

You might check to ensure you\'re using legato mode for the oboe, as the runs seem to dive away a bit - indicating the connecting pieces of the legato sound is not there. Maybe I\'m just hearing things...

Regardless - it\'s extremely well done!

Originally posted by Garritan:
    Very nice Toby. I like the atmospheres you created and of course the guitar. The oboe blends in beautifully. Thanks for posting this!
    Gary Garritan
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hi Gary,
    Thanks so much for taking the time to give a listen. This is the first piece I\'ve used any GPO. This tune was started before I received my GPO but I just had to replace the original oboe with yours.
    I\'m working on a composition now which uses GPO almost exclusively and I must say it\'s blowing me away. My wife is absolutely blown away by what is capable with GPO too.

Thanks again,
    Toby

Originally posted by Houston Haynes:
    Nice piano and pizzicatos too. What are their origins?
    You might check to ensure you\'re using legato mode for the oboe, as the runs seem to dive away a bit - indicating the connecting pieces of the legato sound is not there. Maybe I\'m just hearing things...
    Regardless - it\'s extremely well done!
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hi Houston,
    Thanks so much for listening and the nice comments.
    The piano is Steinberg The Grand.The pizz is Edirol Orch [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

I\'m not sure how to set lagato mode for the oboe.
    Can you explain?
    Thanks again,
    Toby

To set the legato mode, first, in the OPTIONS menu on the GPO player, set the PEDAL MODE to the second option on the list. Next, make sure to hold down the sustain pedal for the notes you\'d like played legato. Or, draw in the sustain data into your MIDI key-editor.

Originally posted by Alan Lastufka:
    To set the legato mode, first, in the OPTIONS menu on the GPO player, set the PEDAL MODE to the second option on the list. Next, make sure to hold down the sustain pedal for the notes you\'d like played legato. Or, draw in the sustain data into your MIDI key-editor.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Thanks Alan,

I will give it a try tonight.

Toby

And if you\'re looking for a strong pizzicato to cut through the mix, check out the GPO viola section pizz samples - they have almost a Bartok quality to them.

I\'m rearranging a piece I did for last year\'s Turner Classic Movie Channel Young Film Composer Competition, and found all of the plucked strings in GPO to be really nice and manageable at different velocities.

Originally posted by Houston Haynes:
    And if you\'re looking for a strong pizzicato to cut through the mix, check out the GPO viola section pizz samples - they have almost a Bartok quality to them.

I\'m rearranging a piece I did for last year\'s Turner Classic Movie Channel Young Film Composer Competition, and found all of the plucked strings in GPO to be really nice and manageable at different velocities.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Thanks for the tip Houston,
    When I received GPO I gave most of the samples a quick ear test and now I\'m ready to start really putting GPO through it\'s paces. I\'ve already started a new composition and -- wow [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] -- this library is so inspirational. The ideas are flowing !

Thanks,
    Toby

Go Back to forum