• Register
  • Help

Topic: Phasing Problems

Re: Phasing Problems

Hi Adam,

Just curious as to why you want to use 28 instruments of the same kind together. You’re certainly not going to write 28-voice polyphony, or are you? GPO has Ensemble samples and overlays as well as solo instruments to cover multiple instruments. Try them, you’ll like them. Unless you’re kidding of course, and in that case, if you do find that Star Trek phaser let me know. I’d like to reverse the last phases of my life so I could be young again. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Originally posted by Karl Garrett:
    Just curious as to why you want to use 28 instruments of the same kind together...
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Karl,

I would like to use the GPO Bassoon 2 Solo, which has no associated ENS instruments. The GPO Bassoon 1 Solo and associated 3 ENS instruments only go up to g, but I need to go regularly up to ab and a--so I need the Bassoon 2 Solo.

No polyphony, I was creating \"textures\" of overlapping arpeggios and repeating staccatos. It\'s tonal, metrical music, an arrangement of a well-known symphony.

I\'ve already started some experimenting with some suggestions from others, and so far I\'ve made a trumpet sound like the guitar feedback of loud rock concerts. [img]graemlins/tounge_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Hi Adam,

It would be fun to hear your trumpetar feedback sound if you could post a little.

There have been others on this forum asking about increasing the ranges of some instruments. Maybe it was you. It looks like you are asking GPO to do more than it was designed for. It might be a little work, but could you just drop one of the voices at a unison point? Or would that negate the complexity you are looking for? Keep pushing that envelope, Adam, Make Gary Sweat. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

It’s innovation that breeds success. I hope if you get something figured out that you well post the result.

By \'unisons\' I assume you mean all players on the SAME note in the same OCTAVE?

Then like the individual players in a violin section piled up on a single pitch?

This is my basic interpretation of the term \'unison\'.

I don\'t know exactly from your posts what it is your\'re trying to do, but if you want to use the layers in GPO and this needs \'fattening\' by sounding like more layers are playing, then you might try a neat plug-in that I\'ve found useful once in a while. It\'s the \"Clone Ensemble\" (http://www.cloneensemble.com).

Experimenting with this plug can sometimes produce surprising results.

You might give it a try. There is a free demo download that will let you decide if it can work for you.

It sounds though as if your trying to produce a couple dozen unique instrument parts using the same instrument and you are getting some notes landing on identical pitches using the same sample, hence phasing problems.

In that case, you may be out of luck, unless you have a bunch of samples of the particular instrument made from different recordings of each pitch. This what GPO uses as it\'s main approach, but afterall, there is a LIMIT!!

Let us know how it goes. (if not just hit with your phaser!)

Kirk out.

I just ran an exhaustive test attempting to reproduce my \"feedback guitar noise\" -- and I can\'t! So at this stage I have no problem to report (except, perhaps the one of jumping to a conclusion).

I actually have no problem right now using GPO Bassoons. I have made some recordings already using four BASSOON SOLO 2 instruments. On the occasional passing unison I either make one part rest or move the unison note over to an \"auxilary\" track that goes to the BASSOON SOLO 1. I\'ve even let some unisons play as is.

I was initially just curious if there was some mixing/audio recording trick for getting around unisons--because I\'m planning to do something more ambitious than my usual.

Thanks to all for the ideas. If I do reproduce my guitar feedback, I\'ll post with an explanation, and if I learn something interesting about using the same instrument on unisons I\'ll share it too.

Beam me up, Scotty. [img]graemlins/tounge_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Phasing Problems

pg. 37 of the Guide to GPO mentions phasing problems. Using the same instrument and playing unisons I get a louder sound that seems to the sound waves doubling up on the amplitude.

Well, so I see it written, and I can hear the problem myself.

Now my question. I want to make a recording using 28 instances of the same instrument, and I\'m going to have a lot of unisons.

So, what are my options? Can I buy some sort of editor to alter the phase of samples? (On early Star Trek episodes I\'ve seen something called a phaser, do you suppose if I located one of these that it would help?)

Thanks for any advice,

most instruments have ens version which can be used for unison parts. you can reuse instruments as long as they don\'t play in unison,. this should get you close to what you want. No other single library would be able to get you this close.

One approach is to make sure each has a slightly different tuning, but you\'ll still probably have to slide the attack points around a lot by hand until it\'s convincing.

Go Back to forum