• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Downloaded Gliss. Harp MIDI data packets, but no change

Share/Bookmark

Downloaded Gliss. Harp MIDI data packets, but no change

Hey Guys,

Can anyone walk me through how I should drop or open the Glissando Harp MIDI Packets in Cubase VST? I have read all the posts in the threads I can find here on the subject--especially the one by Tom in \"GPO midi data packets for harp glissandi,\" but I must still be doing something wrong because there is no change in key, etc. when I copy/paste the data packets to a secondary track with the same MIDI channel as my gliss. harp as Tom outlined. Chomping at the bit to use this innovative tool... [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Thanks!
    Frodo

Re: Downloaded Gliss. Harp MIDI data packets, but no change

Frodo,

Are you absolutely certain that you are placing one of the MIDI packets on the same MIDI channel/GPO instance where the Glissando Harp is loaded? Try this test: Load Glissando Harp1 into MIDI channel 1 of GPO. Choose the track that addresses that MIDI channel in Cubase. If everything is right so far you will hear the Glissando harp when you play the white keys on your keyboard. Now, copy (e.g.) the A Major Scale midi packet to the beginning of bar 2 of your track. Copy the Bb7 Glissando packet to the beginning of bar 4. Hit play from the beginning of your track and start \"strumming\" the white keys of your keyboard. As the track advances past bar 2 you should get an A Major scale as you strum. When it passes bar 4 that should abruptly change to Bb7. It should be an obvious change. If this works then move on to setting up two tracks that have the same channel assignment. Record notes to the first track and place the MIDI packets in the second track. If the MIDI assignments are correct it should work just as it did with a single track. If you still can\'t get things to work contact Gary directly at gary@harps.com

Tom

Thanks. I didn\'t realize in order to hear the midi packet changes you had to either press play or record while you are playing the keyboard. It\'s working properly now. I appreciate your help.

Frodo

Frodo,

Good. FYI - here’s the reason you must be in “play” or “record”: The MIDI packets act as switches to remap the notes of the keyboard to match the desired chord or scale. The switches need to be sent by the sequencer and received by GPO for them to take effect.

Tom

Hi there! The information Tom gave will be very useful for me, since I plan on doing a piece with harp very soon.

I would like to add a question: How can I create glissandos that don\'t follow a scale? For example a gliss in C-Major with an added G# and a D-flat (ok, that will sound bad but it\'s only an example)?

Peter

Remember that there are only 7 strings per octave on a standard harp which is why playing on the white keys allows glissandos after applying the midi packet for that scale. This is how real harps work. If you want to get away from that and add extra notes, then you\'ll need to play the chromatic harp samples as any other instruments. Just don\'t expect a real harpist to play it though!

Haydn, you\'re absolutely right, but why should the harpist always set the harp to a \"correct\" scale?

I see no problem in setting up a harp with the pedals from e.g.:

D C B / E F G A (C-Major)

to e.g.:

D C Bb / E F Gb A

or e.g.:

D C B# / E F# G# A# (whole tone scale on C)

The harpist still strums all strings of his instrument and doesn\'t need to switch anything during the glissando. This should be perfectely playable and I\'d really like to know how to get the GPO harp to do it (i.e. program my own midi packets), since I use effects like that in my music from time to time.

Any help is appreciated!

Peter

Peter,

At some point (when things are less hectic) I will try to do a tutorial on building custom MIDI packets. The process is reasonably involved and there are definite restrictions on what can and can’t be constructed – it’s rather like putting together a puzzle. In the meantime, I agree with Haydn that it is much quicker and easier to use the chromatic harps for unusual or synthetic scales.

You gave an example of a whole tone scale to illustrate one of things you’d like to construct. Since that already exists in the MIDI packet library I thought maybe I should list what is there:

1. All major scales
    2. A, B, C#, E, F# major chords (the only ones that can be constructed with all triadic elements).
    3. All major 7 chords
    4. All minor/minor7 chords (available type depends on construction restrictions)
    5. All dominant 7 chords
    6. All dominant 9 chords
    7. All altered dominant chords (but with variations based on construction restrictions)
    8. All diminished chords
    9. All diminished 7 chords
    10. All pentatonic scales
    11. All lydian scales
    12. Both whole tone scales
    13. All augmented chords

I tried to make the available choices relatively comprehensive to cover most situations but other scale/chord types can be constructed if you know how and have the patience. As I said, one of these days I’ll try to spell out the procedure when I have some extra time.

Tom

Thank you very much! I will look into that.

Peter

Peter,

You can make any type of glissando you want just by putting in the midi notes in your sequencer. I did that in my song \"Astral Voyage\" at http://www.soundclick.com/starbirth. All of the harp parts are GPO.

-- Martin

Go Back to forum