• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Short ochestral work - feedback appreciated

Share/Bookmark

Short ochestral work - feedback appreciated

Here\'s a direct link to my most recent GPO demo, \"Epidemic\": http://www.allhands.com/mp3/epidemic.mp3

It\'s for medium sized orchestra, and is just two minutes long. It is fairly neo-classical in flavor, and features some very pretty woodwind work.

I originally wrote this for a World Bank documentary, using my old Proteus modules and other synths. It was mostly orchestral, but had other strange sounds in it as well. I\'ve rewritten it to be a purely orchestral work. It was fun getting the orchestra to imitate the original\'s inclusion of a choir of rubbed wine glasses at the end.

Let me know what you think!

- Jamie

Re: Short ochestral work - feedback appreciated

Jamie,

Very nice and clean! If at all, I think the string pizz\'s are too up front.

Still, I think this is one of the \'better\' GPO demo\'s I\'ve listened to.

Nice!

Thanks, Nhick. I appreciate the comments.

I\'ll have to listen again to the pizzes. In the original piece, they were actually much more prominent, partly because the sample I was using had a sharper attack. I\'ll have to balance the more spread attack with balance and reverb.

Wow, Jamie, I love this piece. Very cinematic. And something very different. Reminded me of Jeff Beal in a way -- who happens to be one of my favorite composers. Great work.

I\'d love to know the particulars. What instruments. What reverb, sequencer used.

Oh, and I think the pizz is perfect.

Hi Jamie. Good stuff. My only suggestion would be to have more variety in the form. What I\'m thinking is that either the middle or end could be more dynamic, have more tension. Right now, it\'s kind of one feeling throughout, a bit of a straight line.

Just my 1.7 Canadian cents. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Great piece, Jamie!

-- Martin

Great stuff! More, more!

I don\'t think it necessarily needs more dramatic tension. There\'s plenty of renaissance music I love precisely because it\'s so undramatic, like an ever-changing little stream in the woods, and every time I listen to it, it\'s like hearing it for the first time.

Got back in touch with an old composition-major buddy after a couple of decades\' lapse, and the first thing out of his mouth was, \"Stravinsky still rules!\"

Greg

Me like!
    What do you see when you hear it? Your emotions etc.. me interested! =)

Wow! Thanks for all the nice comments.

Yes, the piece is very even in level and tension throughout, but it was written as an underscore for a brief montage section of a film. It was designed to disappear if and when necessary. Not my favorite way to work, but I liked what came out of it.

ps - yes, Stravinsky does still rule!

i like how it\'s even throughout. moody, but it\'s not as if it\'s drowning in atmospheric mush.

i like the section changes, timps in the middle, glock at the end. if anything, i think the brass in the middle section is too subtle, but it\'s probably all a matter of personal taste anyway.

in the context of a montage score i can totally see it working.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast