• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: New soundcard recommendations?

Share/Bookmark

Re: New soundcard recommendations?

Wow, yeah. I\'m not sure I need the Emulator X. I mean, it\'d be nice to have, but I\'ve already got enough \"stuff\" with not enough time to use it all. But I see that EMU also has the 1212M soundcard (used with the Emulator X) available for $200, which sounds really good in itself. And I believe the EMU cards have soundfont capability, too. Yup, that\'s the new front runner. Thanks for the heads up!

As a L O N G time EMU user I\'d say it\'s a no brainer.

I\'ll bet they are gonna scoop the low end soundcard market with this puppy.

EMU also has a terrific new orchestral library they recorded a few years ago which is no doubt going to be available for this thing. If they do release it, I think it would be a better companion for GPO than QLSO, timbre-wise.

I might even replace my funky ECHO Mia!!

If you really don\'t want to go EMU, might I suggest the new Terratec card (sorry I don\'t know the model number offhand, check Terratec\'s website). It\'s going for like $99.00 and includes midi, digital I/O and is a direct replacement for the EWX 24/96 card which I think is the best low end card out there. Mine has truly excellent ASIO performance.

Just stay away from ECHO\'s MIA card. It\'s pretty much a turkey.

New soundcard recommendations?

Just got my tax return back, and I\'m itching to upgrade my soundcard from the on-board SBLive I\'ve been using. I\'ve only got about 200-250 to play with, though, so my options are somewhat limited, but whatever I get should still be a significant improvement over what I\'ve got.

My main requirements are ASIO (for recording through GPO Studio with low latency) and good quality audio/MIDI recording. I also need the ability to use soundfonts (i.e. Audigy), but that\'s not necessarily a deal maker/breaker as the SBLive I already have can utilize soundfonts, so I could keep that hooked up along with whatever new card I get (though I\'ve heard that it can be troublesome to have two cards on the same system). It would also be very nice to have the ability to record more than one thing at a time (i.e. 2 in/2 out).

I\'m looking at the Audigy 2 Platinum, the Echo MiaMidi and the Terratec EWX. I like the capabilities and multiple connectivity of the Audigy and Mia, but I\'ve read good things about the recording quality of the Terratec. I\'m kind of at a crossroads between those choices at the moment, so if anyone has any experience, suggestions or recommendations with those or other cards, I\'d really appreciate it. I should mention that I\'ve had an M-Audio Delta 44 before and had nothing but trouble with it and with the tech support for it, so though it might have been recommended for my needs and price range, don\'t bother mentioning that one as an alternative.

I\'m running a Dell 8200, 1.7ghz, 768 RAM, WinXP Home

Thanks,
    Shaz

I\'m using a ESI (Egosys) Waveterminal 192M in my GPO machine. Has low latency and have never had any driver issues. Purchased the card for about $175.

Why not consider the new emu emulator x??? It has onboard effects & is in addition a hardware sampler and also has one midi in/out! For $300!
    warm regards
    Harry

I\'m in a similar boat to you Shaz. I\'m currently using the SBLive with the Russian KXProject drivers. They seem to work very well, so far, although I don\'t claim to fully understand the comprehensive routing capabilities. I also thought that the MIA was the way to go for a time but there has been quite a lot of bad publicity for it including Bruce Richardson\'s recent campaign.

I had actually decided on the ESI Waveterminal 192M or more likely the 192X. The Directwire drivers seem to be well thought off. As someone noted before on this site it enables (apparently) the ability to introduce VST effects into GigaStudio too.

However I thought I\'d wait for NAMM but there wasn’t much new except for the EMU stuff, which is very interesting indeed. The sound cards look great and the sampler versions seem to be a fantastic integrated package. Maybe it’s a year or more too late, though, as most interested people have already made there investment in GS, Kontakt or Halion?

The included REX effects have got to be great news and don’t hit the CPU workload, although these may be old hat now that the impulse reverbs, like the free! SIR, are here. I’m tempted with the Emulator version too but like you I already have more stuff than I have time to learn having upgraded to Cubase SX, and bought GPO and Kontakt. (Will Kontakt v2 be out before GS3!!…..Frankfurt is coming)

I don’t know if I’m missing something but, the 1212m soundcard, which would satisfy my needs generally, bizarrely, doesn’t have a headphone output!!! Am I crazy or is EMU?? Surely they should have included this and also some sort of Microphone input in what ought to be the ideal (High end ‘Pro’ converters, hardware effects, direct, no latency, sound AND effects monitoring) hobbyist’s card? It has everything else I want and this is very frustrating. Perhaps they are going to bring out an add on?

I do have a Sansui MX-12 12 track mixing desk, which I could press into service, but I would rather have had an integrated package. Irritatingly the next cards/ Emulator-X up the ladder have corrected these omissions but also have a LOAD of other features, which I certainly don’t need. I cannot understand what EMU are up to,,,,the 1212m card which seems to be aimed at the hobbyist end doesn’t have some essentials as far as I can see. Is it assumed that all hobbyists already have headphone amps and mixing desks? I mean, even the SB Live has these basics.

If I’ve got it wrong, please enlighten me…..Waveterminal, here I come?

Frank

Originally posted by Hardy Heern:
    I don’t know if I’m missing something but, the 1212m soundcard, which would satisfy my needs generally, bizarrely, doesn’t have a headphone output!!! Am I crazy or is EMU?? Surely they should have included this and also some sort of Microphone input in what ought to be the ideal (High end ‘Pro’ converters, hardware effects, direct, no latency, sound AND effects monitoring) hobbyist’s card? It has everything else I want and this is very frustrating. Perhaps they are going to bring out an add on?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Well, I think that\'s good reason for me to save another 100 bucks and get the EMU 1820 instead, which also has built-in mic preamps as well as 8 ins/10 outs and headphone out, etc.

As long as we\'re talking Echo, could I request some user opinions on the Echo Indigo? My GPO machine is a laptop and the built-in sound doesn\'t cut it.

If not the Echo Indigo for laptops, what else do you recommend?
    Thanx...Jim

Nexus, what makes Mia a turkey? I\'ve had mine for a year, and it seems to do okay for general sequencing and recording. Not to say I have the greatest ears. What specific problems or deficiencies have you noticed?

Mark

Originally posted by snorlax:
    As long as we\'re talking Echo, could I request some user opinions on the Echo Indigo? My GPO machine is a laptop and the built-in sound doesn\'t cut it.

If not the Echo Indigo for laptops, what else do you recommend?
    Thanx...Jim
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I have had problems with hum and the Indigo I borroed to check it out on a Dell C600. I talked to Echo about it and they couldn\'t tell me which laptops were problematic and which weren\'t (at the time at least). I\'ll repost when I get my Indigo DJ and get a chance to try it on some different laptops.

Go Back to forum