• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Toccata: My first orchestration with GPO

Share/Bookmark

Toccata: My first orchestration with GPO

I wrote this tune years ago as a solo piano piece (I was a huge Ginastera fan back then). It\'s the first \"complete\" orchestration I\'ve done with GPO and I\'m pretty happy with the results! Especially the last 2 bars [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Take a listen. Comments welcome and appreciated.
    Toccata - Pat Azzarello

Funny story here - I was at Berklee at the time. I had just gone to see David Rosenthal\'s senior recital (David later went on to play with Billy Joel, Cindy Lauper, Rainbow, etc.) and thought his solo piano piece as wimpy (I had a lot of angst at the time - it was actually pretty good... though more like Debussey than the rest of the music his band played at his recital). I went back to the rehearsal rooms and worked this piece out in a few hours. Years later I orchestrated it using GPO and breathed some new life into it...

Thanks Gary - GPO is great!

Re: Toccata: My first orchestration with GPO

Excellent!

Man, there are some eggheads here. I\'m just a dude interested in adding cello or whatnot to a pop song. I feel like the fat guy with the nose plug and the water wings who accidentally wanders into Olympic diving practice. While you guys are doing two and-a-half pikes and swan dives off the high board, I\'m sipping a beer and saying, \"Check out the size of this cannon ball!\"

Pat

Very impressive work! There are a number of moments that really do it for me. Especially the last few bars.

I have some custom impulses that I would like you to try on this piece (if you would not mind). Also, it would be an honor to include this composition on the GPO demo page. Thanks for revisiting this piece with GPO and sharing it with us.

Gary Garritan

Btw Gary, I wanted to thank you again for the two impulses you sent me. Don\'t think your getting my e-mails though, so I wanted to thank you here since you mentioned them. They are really good and I started tinkering with convolution \'verb again with them.

They have nice sound, I like no.1 a lot.

PAT: I think your Tocatta is terrific! I too am a big fan of Ginastera.

Originally posted by deceptivesound:
    Excellent!

Man, there are some eggheads here. I\'m just a dude interested in adding cello or whatnot to a pop song. I feel like the fat guy with the nose plug and the water wings who accidentally wanders into Olympic diving practice. While you guys are doing two and-a-half pikes and swan dives off the high board, I\'m sipping a beer and saying, \"Check out the size of this cannon ball!\"
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">This must be one of the most hilarious posts and verbal images I\'ve ever read - I ran accross this first thing Sunday morning, and promptly blew coffee through my nose. Thanks for making my day! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Welcome! We will look forward to hearing your musical cannonballs. I\'m sure you\'ve noticed, Gary\'s is a friendly forum, and all manner of musical styles and skill levels have a place here.

Trond

Originally posted by Garritan:
    Pat

Very impressive work! There are a number of moments that really do it for me. Especially the last few bars.

I have some custom impulses that I would like you to try on this piece (if you would not mind). Also, it would be an honor to include this composition on the GPO demo page. Thanks for revisiting this piece with GPO and sharing it with us.

Gary Garritan
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Thank you all very much. I\'d love to check out the impulses (and apply them).

BTW - The discussion we had on Friday morning really caused me to jump back into this piece (to the chagrin of my wife on Valentine\'s Day). Now I have to come up with something a little more \"romantic\" to dedicate to my wife to make up for this... Looks like I\'ll be up late tonight. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Originally posted by deceptivesound:
    Excellent!

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">deceptivesound,

Welcome to the pool and give us some cannonballs!

Your post was very funny and made quite a splash. You are among friends and we try to help each other out here. Sure there are some Olympic athletes, but there are people of many levels here. What makes this place special is that the guys doing swan dives are so helpful to everyone.

And we enjoy cannonballs too! There is an art to cannonballs so lets dismiss the stereotypes. Just as in music, great cannonballs require just the right entrance in just the right spot. We can learn a great deal about cannonballs from you.

Thanks for diving in!

Gary Garritan

PS: Speaking of swimming pools, perhaps Alan can design the GPO swimsuit edition.

Originally posted by Pat Azzarello:
    BTW - The discussion we had on Friday morning really caused me to jump back into this piece (to the chagrin of my wife on Valentine\'s Day). Now I have to come up with something a little more \"romantic\" to dedicate to my wife to make up for this... Looks like I\'ll be up late tonight. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Pat,

Hope you came up with something romantic for your wife.

I have sent you some impulses to try.
    Thanks again,

Gary Garritan

Very nice, Pat. A very cool composition, and very well rendered in GPO.

-- Martin

Originally posted by Garritan:
    PS: Speaking of swimming pools, perhaps Alan can design the GPO swimsuit edition.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Now there\'s one idea I\'ll get on right away Gary! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast