• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Demo: The Rite of Spring

Share/Bookmark

Demo: The Rite of Spring

Call me a masochist, but here it is... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Le Sacre du Printemps (intro)

Tackling a piece like this is not for the faint of heart! I painstakingly edited thousands of events until it started to sound right.

I was going for as real an interpretation as I could get for this. There were quite a number of problems to overcome, including sounds and techniques that simply weren\'t available in GPO, but which I tried my best to fake. (ww flutter-tongue scales, natural glissando harmonics on strings, solo violin trill, and an utterly insane alto flute part that the GPO samples just didn\'t seem to like)

Let me know what you all think, especially if you have a good familiarity with the piece. I think this is pretty close to a typical sounding orchestral recording of Le Sacre, with the exception of a few smallish hairs that could be split.

- Jamie Kowalski

Re: Demo: The Rite of Spring

Originally posted by Skysaw:
    Call me a masochist, but here it is... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">You\'re a masochist.

Frank

PS Sorry I can\'t make comment about the music as I don\'t often listen to this genre.
    Don\'t you have television in Virginia? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Jamie,

Hi. This mock up of Le Scare du Printemps is amazing. The only thing to raise an eyebrow at in my opinion is the tempo. It may be a bit too fast, but that\'s just a matter of opinio. I still think you did a great job. Now, since your a masochist, how about the next section?!! :-)

Jonny

The tempi were taken directly from Stravinsky\'s score, and also match for the most part what I am used to. I know there is a lot of variation out there in existing recordings, so I\'m not surprized you might find it fast or slow.

Next section will come eventually, but I need to switch back to working on my own music for awhile. I can definitely see some problematic stuff coming up in the Dance of the Adolescents:

More fluttertongue
    String harmonics (including High staccatto arpeggios for celli)
    Col legno passages

It gets even worse later with things like:
    Detache glissandos in solo and section violins
    Sul ponticello
    Stopped and \"bells high\" horn parts
    The inclusion of a \"piccolo timpani\" that reaches middle C
    Bass trumpet (with and without mute)
    Muted tuba
    And even a part where a solo cello retunes the C string to a B, in order to play an otherwise unproduceable natural harmonic.

It\'s all in fun, right? [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Really impressive!

Slight tempo and timing differences with my recording, but that\'s just down to interpretation. It sounds really good.

(Would be quite interesting to see the midi file for this [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] )

Well done indeed [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
    Remco

Wowwww... Yup you are nut\'s. But I am very impressed. This is probally my all time fav bit of music. The tempo is fine except you rush the basson a little at the front. I can\'t believe you managed all those bass clarinet runs!@#$%^&*( all this from a $250 piece of software . (and your considerable talent\'s) did you play it in by hand ?

ed

Wowwww... Yup you are nut\'s. But I am very impressed. This is probally my all time fav bit of music. The tempo is fine except you rush the basson a little at the front. I can\'t believe you managed all those bass clarinet runs!@#$%^&*( all this from a $250 piece of software . (and your considerable talent\'s) did you play it in by hand ?

ed

Amazing Jamie, I\'m so impressed! This should be on Gary\'s website, for sure! The thing I miss most, I guess, are the key clicks, especially at the beginning... You\'re an inspiration to all of us, to get cracking and make good music with GPO. Obviously, as you\'ve proven, solid programming chops and great writing (thanks Igor) will make any softsampler sound 10 times better. Not to knock GPO at all (I love it), but I\'d love to see what you could do with VSL Pro Edition, for eg... [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Thanks for all the comments.

The bass clarinet runs were not too hard... they were actually much better behaved than some of the other instruments.

Ed, yes I did play almost all of the parts on my keyboard, though a few of the crazier parts were step recorded. Almost every note was shifted by hand, though, and all of the mod wheel and sustain pedal changes that were originally input with my controller were later all redrawn by hand in Sonar.

I\'ll post the midi file for those who are interested, though it will have to wait a couple of days. I\'m packing tonight and tomorrow, as I\'m moving in to my new house Tuesday! Don\'t worry... the studio is at the top of the unpack list! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Wow! This must\'ve taken weeks. Am I right?

Looper

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast