• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Trem Strings Crash

Share/Bookmark

Trem Strings Crash

I\'ve got a problem maybe somebody has run into.

I\'m a newbie to computer recording, but got a pretty powerful system built. I use a Tascam US-224 for the soundcard, have 2 gig of memory. I\'m running Sonar 3 with all the latest updates.

Everything seems to be working okay with the Garritan Personal Orchestra except this: when I load the violin 1 trem strings, and hold a sustained octave for over 4 measures (using the mod wheel to increase volume) everything crashes.

If I do this with Garritan loaded into Sonar as a Dxi, it crashes the computer. If I even try this just playing it in the Kontatak player, it crashes the computer.

Any ideas? Is this an IRQ problem? I\'ve been trying to configure my buffers, etc, but nothing seems to help.

Re: Trem Strings Crash

DC,

Does the creash occur only with that one patch? Could you try using it as a VST plugin instead of a VST plugin and see if the same thing happens.

Thanks for pointing it out and if it is a bug, we\'ll get it remedied ASAP.

Gary Garritan

Wow, that\'s what I call service [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I tried the same thing with flute, lush strings and sustained strings and it WORKED!

Must be a bug, huh, with the tremolo strings.

I had a passage where I played octave C\'s (middle C and the C above it,) holding down those notes for 6 measures, 4/4, gradually increasing volume with the mod wheel. After the 4th measure Sonar crashed using the trem strings.

It worked fine using other string patches.

Thanks for the quick reply!!

FYI, I just loaded the GPO as a VST in Sonar and the same trem strings crash happened.

I have the identical problem with vln1 tremolo. Played manually or via sequencer (Sonar 1.3.1) I crash after something around five seconds.

Originally posted by DC:
    FYI, I just loaded the GPO as a VST in Sonar and the same trem strings crash happened.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">

Tried that, it didn\'t crash on my system. (Win98, Sonar2.2, SBLive)
    I, however, ran into a bad looping point on middle C, and B and #A below it.
    Listen
    Happened in both standalone and VST versions.

Originally posted by sri_bubba:
    I have the identical problem with vln1 tremolo. Played manually or via sequencer (Sonar 1.3.1) I crash after something around five seconds.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Five seconds?
    That seems to be the moment the loop kicks in.
    Seems we\'re onto something here...

Excellent detective work guys. I’ve been gone all evening so I didn’t see this post until now. Had I seen it earlier I could have saved you some effort. This one was reported privately to me a couple of weeks ago and was repaired at that time. It was indeed a bug related to a loop which caused some very nasty behavior in Kontakt. The repair will be included in the next version. Thanks for your diligence though. You can tell how much Gary has had on his mind since he obviously didn\'t remember our talk about this one when I repaired it. All who think he needs a vacation please raise your hands!

Tom

That\'s one ugly loop! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Glad there\'s a fix coming. You guys rock!

Tom, I’ll second that. Vacations for all! You guys have done a marvelous job putting this package together, and presenting it to us end users. You certainly deserve one. But I know for now, this kind of venture seems only to let one think of taking vacations, not really doing so. So maybe an afternoon at the zoo (the real one) a light movie, playing ball with the kids etc. is in order.

Take it from a guy who has been around more than a little, there is no product, no matter how much your customers value it, that is worth sacrificing your health for.

If he still enjoys playing, we all want to see pictures of Gary playing his harp deep in the woods with a mint julep and Marianne by his side. But come to think of it, lugging that harp into the woods? Oh well the image is nice; another good reason to have GPO. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

My best wishes to you all,

Go Back to forum