• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Questions for Gary on jazz ad-on

Share/Bookmark

Questions for Gary on jazz ad-on

This is what I am really hanging out for.

What stage is it at? Just recording? Editing the samples? or final instrument builing?

What instruments and articulations are planned?

How big will it be?

What will it roughly cost?

Thanks heaps,

Ben H

Re: Questions for Gary on jazz ad-on

BUMPEROONY

Ben H

I\'ll provide more details when the time is right. We\'re busy working on it. What would you like to see in a jazz/big band library?

Lots of jazz clarinet. Different styles, sounds and articulations. The problem is that too many of the current clarinets are orchestral focussed.

Different trumpets, cornet, flugelhorn, obviuosly with different mutes.

Saxes probably aren\'t so necessary as there are already other libraries that cover these in plenty of detail.

Oh and a nice jazzy flute that has a full bodied sound (not the whimpy whistly type), with overtones and grit.

And lots of instruments that can SOLO so that we can choose to either use them solo or layer them ourselves.

Think that\'s about it. At least most of the important stuff.

Ben H

I hope you\'re thinking somwhat contemporary, also, Gary. Listen to the GRP All-Star big band to hear what I mean. This to me is the bellwether of current jazz big band.

I\'m really looking forward to what you\'re going to come up with.

But when is GPO shipping to the distributors? I\'m still waiting for mine to arrive...

Dasher

Yes apart from big band and what I call \"old school\" jazz (sorry), I would hope that it would be able to cover some newer style stuff as well.

For example, punk, funk & ska.

Some bands to check out are D.I.G, The Cat Empire, Reel Big Fish, that sort of thing.

I DO love traditional stuff too, but I know that that will be covered right?

Ben H

P.S. Sorry to all the forum members that this doesn\'t interest but bigband/jazz is one of my passions.

Sorry to disagree with you Ben, but I\'d love to see some good saxes, especially ones that will combine to make a soli section.

This is one area that I\'ve found really difficult to fill. If you, or anyone else out there, has some suggestions, I\'d like to know them.

I\'m with Twinset on this one--I\'d especially welcome a set of \"Light\" saxes, in which the alto sounds like Paul Desmond or early Art Pepper, the tenor sounds like Brew Moore or Stan Getz, and the baritone sounds like Gerry Mulligan. Most sax samples I\'ve heard haven\'t been able to provide that lightness--it\'s much more than the \"breathy\" sax sounds I\'ve heard in several places. Being a rookie, perhaps I just haven\'t looked in the right places, but reproduction of the lighter sound would please me greatly!

Originally posted by Twinset:
    Sorry to disagree with you Ben, but I\'d love to see some good saxes, especially ones that will combine to make a soli section.

This is one area that I\'ve found really difficult to fill. If you, or anyone else out there, has some suggestions, I\'d like to know them.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Yeah, some good saxes would definately be in order. What would a jazz add-on be without saxes?

Anyway, VSL has a sax sample set, but it is only a tenor and soprano. I imagine they are going to do alto and tenor in the future since the current set is called \"Volume One,\" but who knows when \"Volume Two\" will come out. I have only listened to the demo; so from listening to that, I thought the tenor sounded good, but the soprano was not that great.

The other thing you may want to look into is Yellow Tools: Candy. It is not out yet, but it will be very soon. I have Yellow Tools: Culture, and I love it; hopefully, Candy is just as good. The only thing is Yellow Tools stuff is somewhat expensive, but I can say, Yellow Tools: Culture was worth every penny.

Certainly, Gary would be filling a void by having a good set of sax samples.

And while we are on the subject, back when I was in my high school\'s jazz band we would occasionally have someone playing a Baritone. So, it would be cool if there where Baritone/Euphonium samples. Even if they were not part of the Jazz Add-on, but a future GPO Add-on. Would be great to have Baritones and Euphoniums for doing some brass ensemble compositions. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Originally posted by Aaron Babcock:
    Would be great to have Baritones and Euphoniums for doing some brass ensemble compositions. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">There are different varieties of Baritones and Euphoniums? Any Baritone/Euphonium experts here to explain the differences?

Gary Garritan

Go Back to forum