• Register
  • Help

Topic: Just dedicated a machine to Gigastudio but confused setting it up...please help.

Share/Bookmark

Just dedicated a machine to Gigastudio but confused setting it up...please help.

I bought a new machine for my main audio recording etc...and have my old one dedicated to gigastudio now.

Pentium III 500, 256mb ram,
    (2) 20 GIG IBM 7200rpm drives
    Frontier Wavecenter PCI (8 ADAT, 2x2 midi)

My Main machine has:
    Pentium III 1ghz, 512mb ram
    45 gig IBM 7200rpm drive
    Motu 2408, Motu Micro Express 4x6 midi
    Frontier Tango24

I find setting this up to be very confusing. I have connected the output of Motu Micro Express 1 (audio machine) to input of Frontier(gigastudio machine)PCI. I connected the ADAT output of WavecenterPCI to ADAT in bank C on motu 2408 (having clock errors but i think i just need to hook up the other cable-don\'t have one long enough right now).

I loaded a midi file in Steinberg Nuendo...(originally I tried motu midi out 6 to wavecenter midi in 1 - but got no input?????)and I am able to play it back (with clock errors but that\'s ok for now i think) but the first wierd thing is everytime I hit stop and try to load a different midi out channel in nuendo in gigastudio it switches the instrument that was on midi 1 to the new midi channel i selected in Nuendo (i.e. if i had piano on 1 in gigastudio and flute on 5, i switch my midi track from 1 to 5...in gigastudio piano now replaces the flute and it shows piano on 1 and 5???) Is this something in the midi file sending patch changes?

2nd problem...now i want to be able to record midi from my Alesis QS8.1 controller...I am not really sure how to set this up. I want the output of the midi from the Alesis to go into the machine with Gigastudio so I can hear the patches, then forward that midi data on to Nuendo on the other machine. How do i route this?

I have Alesis midi out to Gigastudio midi in 2 (wavecenter midi in 2). Then Wavecenter PCI midi out 2 to MicroExpress (audio machine) in 1 and setup and arm the track in Nuendo but I don\'t get any input??

Actually I\'ve just realized I don\'t understand how to map any midi output in gigastudio (didn\'t have to do this when it was on the same machine as sequencer)...it shows a mapping of my midi inputs to Nemesys Out Ports...how do i map those to real midi outputs? I can\'t find info or any menu that tells me how.

Sorry if this all sounds stupid, I rarely use midi and am trying to get more into it now.

Thanks!

Re: Just dedicated a machine to Gigastudio but confused setting it up...please help.

Hey Kurgan,

1.Unwanted Patch Changes:

I used to use Cubase, and on the left of the arrange screen you could set up individual offset parameters in a box called the \'track inspector\'. I\'m not sure, but it may be that you have a similar setup and that the Nuendo version of track inspector defaults to sending patch number 1 - which in your case must be the Gigapiano.

It\'s just a guess - see if there are any default parameters being set up when you choose a new track.

If not, then there must be patch change info in the actual track - which is pretty easy to find if you have to.

2. Midi to Giga and Nuendo.

Personally, I\'d be sending my controller keyboard into Nuendo first, and then distributing it to Gigastudio and any other gear you need to fire.

When you say you arm the track in Nuendo and get no input, you ARE using a MIDI track in Nuendo, not an audio track, right?

There should be an indicator in Nuendo which shows midi I/O regardless of track status - even if there are no tracks in the arrange page it should be showing I/O activity if you\'re it\'s getting midi info.

I\'m sorry, but I don\'t know the wavecenter midi setup.

Re: Just dedicated a machine to Gigastudio but confused setting it up...please help.

yeah...armed a midi track not an audio track. I was unsuccessful in trying it the other way around...will give it another go.

So I should hook the midi out of my alesis keyboard to the midi in of my MOTU micro express and then the out of that channel (?) or do i need some sort of midi thru(?) into the midi input of the wavecenter on the 2nd PC for gigasampler...then i should be able to record the midi data in Nuendo while listening to the instrument in Gigasampler?? (which is what i want).

Thanks.

PS...Nuendo crashes all the time when messing around with gigasampler (on the other PC)...don\'t know what\'s going on yet there (version 1.02 - nuendo).

If you armed a midi track, you were doing it right, don\'t bother trying audio unless you want to capture the actual giga audio output.

If the motu is talking to your Nuendo PC, then track assignments in Nuendo decide where your QS8 data goes to once it gets into Nuendo.

If you have a port of the xpress connected to the Giga PC, those ports should show up in your Nuendo midi \'environment\', and you should be able to assign the midi output of your currently chosen Nuendo track to any channel on that port - which means when you play you hear the Giga sound assigned to that port/channel.

If you have midi thru enabled within Nuendo, you hear all your live QS8 playing on whatever port/channel the currently highlighted track is assigned to.

As the Wavecentre has 2 midi ports, you\'ll be able to address 32 (2 ports of 16 chennels each) of the 64 available midi channels in any one Gigastudio performance.

Do I make sense?

When you say Nuendo crashes:

1. If it\'s on a separate PC to Giga, I wonder if it doesn\'t like some midi info giga is sending. Are you doing much controller movement?

2. If Nuendo is on the same PC as Giga, I wonder if they are simply wanting too much from the CPU and Ram, and Nuendo loses out, gets miffed and leaves the party in a huff?

makes sense?...i\'ll have to read it a few more times when i\'m siting in front of boths PC\'s set up.

Quick recap on the setup...
    PC1 = Nuendo, MOTU 2408 audio, MOTU MicroExpress (4x6) midi

PC2 = Gigastudio, Wavecenter PCI (8 ADAT 2x2 midi)

So you are saying this?

Alesis keyboard->MicroExpress in(which get\'s it to nuendo) then turn on midi thru...take the midi output from MicroExpress to PC2\'s Wavecenter midi in and all should be dandy, meaning i can record to Nuendo on PC1 while listening to the gigasampler samples on PC2?

So the Nemesys out ports are only internal..that is if you are running a sequencer on the same machine as gigastudio?Will give it a shot tomorrow.

Nuendo and Giga are on two different machines, and i\'m doing nothing more than setting up Nuendo to see midi on 1 channel and playing those instruments on the other machine. I wonder if i have to close one program before the other? Have to do much more testing.

Thanks for the replys.

Alesis keyboard->MicroExpress in(which get\'s it to nuendo) then turn on midi thru

- the midi thru option in Nuendo

...take the midi output from MicroExpress to PC2\'s Wavecenter midi in and all should be dandy, meaning i can record to Nuendo on PC1 while listening to the gigasampler samples on
    PC2?

Yep, assuming that you playing tracks in Nuendo which are assigned to midi channels in Wavecentre/Gigastudio which have instruments loaded.

So the Nemesys out ports are only internal .. that is if you are running a sequencer on the
    same machine as gigastudio?

Yep

Nuendo and Giga are on two different machines, and i\'m doing nothing more than setting up Nuendo to see midi on 1 channel and playing those instruments on the other machine.

Cool. Of course you can load 16 instruments into 16 channel slots on Giga, then record 16 tracks, each addressing one of those 16 different Giga instruments. (In fact, wavecentre lets you do 2 lots of 16).

I wonder if i have to close one program before the other?

According to Nemesys this is only useful when both apps are on the same PC - so you shouldn\'t have to.
    Mind you, my old Atari used to send out all kinds of crap when the program started, shut down, or auto saved - so who knows for sure!!

Have to do much more testing.

Good luck

I would treat the giga on the other computer as another midi instument..
    I use a Motu midi timepeice AV..as my audio computer
    In logic I have giga come up on port 6 I/O midi.. that\'s 16 midi channels.. enough for me..
    Then I have midi I/O going into a really old midi interface MQX 32 isa..
    It works great even though I\'m going through 2 midi interfaces..
    In Motu av it has a midi filter page that i setup to egnore certain types of Midi info..
    Sysex,program changes etc..
    This helps eliminate problems..
    Logic also has this feature to filter out unwanted midi info...
    Try that..
    Brian

Go Back to forum