• Register
  • Help

Topic: Idiot-proof advice on GPO-String-Glissandi needed

Share/Bookmark

Idiot-proof advice on GPO-String-Glissandi needed

Hi there!

I was sick for a while because of a nasty flu, but now I\'m back to composing again.

Could someone explain to me in great detail how I can do long (multioctave) glissandi with the GPO section strings? Has it something to do with the portamento? I can\'t figure it out and this bugs me since I think it must be simple...

Any help is appreciated.

Peter

Re: Idiot-proof advice on GPO-String-Glissandi needed

Originally posted by musicpete:

Could someone explain to me in great detail how I can do long (multioctave) glissandi with the GPO section strings? Has it something to do with the portamento?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Peter,

GPO programmers have made it easy.

Use MIDI controller #20. Use this controller to enable and disable portamento. You turn portamento on by setting CC#20 to some non-zero value. You turn portamento off by setting CC#20 to zero.

An \"on\" value specifies to slide to a note from the pitch of the previous note. So you set the value after you start the first note but before the start of the second note.

See the PORTA knob on the Kontakt Player. It reports how much portamento you currently have on an instrument. I suggest looking at this because it will jump to the CC#20 percentage you give.

Values for CC#20 are in the range 0 to 127.
    </font><ul type=\"square\">[*]<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">CC#20 = 0 is OFF, no portamento, 0%.</font>[*]<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">CC#20 = 127 is 100% portamento, and very very slow slide between notes.</font>[*]<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">CC#20 = 64 is 50% portamento, a slow slide between notes.</font>[*]<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">CC#20 = 1 is 1% portamento. It is so fast that it is inaudible on my setup.</font>[/list]<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Remember to set portamento to 0% (OFF) after you have used it in your score, otherwise you\'ll get a portamento effect on every note that follows.

Now suppose you want to connect a 2 octave leap in a violin string section with a slide. First note is b1, one ledger line below the treble clef. Second note is b3, two octaves higher, one ledger line above the treble clef.

To play the two notes, do this:
    </font><ul type=\"square\">[*]<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">CC#20 = 0
    Assuming you\'ve been playing around with CC#20, first turn portamento off in your music to get a normal attack on the first note.</font>[*]<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Start b1.</font>[*]<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Set CC#20 = 51
    51 is a portamento setting of 40%, because 51/127 = .40</font>[*]<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Start b3.
    You\'ll hear a graceful swoop up two octaves.</font>[*]<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Set CC#20 = 0.
    Turn portamento off, otherwise the transitions between all notes will slide. I assume you just wanted to slide between two notes.</font>[/list]<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Here\'s what it sounds like: http://www.mydocsonline.com/pub/aburford/TestGPOPortamento.MP3
    [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Pg. 34 of The Guide to GPO suggests using larger values to slide between notes closer together (like a 2nd) and smaller values to slide between notes farther apart (like an octave).

Watch the PORT knob on the Kontakt Player to verify how much portamento you set.

I have been struggling with the Pitch Wheel alternative to achieve slides between notes, but why bother? This Portamento is an easy alternative and sounds quite graceful.

Adam, What a great explanation you gave. Just the other day a friend asked me the same question. I stammered all over the place to try to make the concepts clear for him. How I wish I had had your post for reference. It’s one thing to be able to understand and use something, but it’s quite another to be able to teach it as concisely as you have just done.

I hope that someone is keeping track of some of these posts from you, Tom and others in order to write “The Ultimate Guide to GPO”.

Thanks Adam for the great explanation. Regarding the manual for GPO, though, you\'d think that you\'d want a higher value of portamento for note values further apart? Just want to say that you\'ve got a really great site going too [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] , I really love some of those songs.

Karl,

Thank you for the compliment! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I enjoy all aspects of GPO. It\'s new, it\'s fun, it\'s challenging.

Originally posted by Haydn:
    One thing missing in the explanation above. You need to have legato mode turned on for the sustain pedal. The sustain pedal must be down (CC64=127) for portamento to work.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Haydn,

Yes. An important point!

I\'ve looked into it, but it seems that I need CC64 = 0 for mine to work. If I have CC64 = 127 then either I hear no effect or the portamento goes wild. Could you double check to see if indeed you meant that CC64 needs to be 127?

Hmmm. Yep, for notes closer together you need more portamento. Farther apart less or it sounds terrible. Anyway, tried it with the sustain pedal down, I couldn\'t hear the port, but with it up I could. The portamento is probably applied to the attack which is missing when you put the sustain pedal down.

Should be CC64=127 for pedal sustain on to turn on legato. Then your CC20 should follow after that. Just looked at one of my sequences and that what shows whats working. The sustain pedal comes up at the end of the phrase.

One thing missing in the explanation above. You need to have legato mode turned on for the sustain pedal. The sustain pedal must be down (CC64=127) for portamento to work.

I did observe the following with controler 64 on my controler keyboard/sustain pedall: Sometime it will send 127 when up and sometime when down. It depends how the pedall was when I do switch the keyboard On or Off. On my keyboard I have to be carefull to leave the pedall up whe I switch on On or Off, in order that it will send 0 when up and 127 when down.

Gave me a headache before I could figure it out.... [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum