• Register
  • Help

Topic: 2 new pieces using GPO

Share/Bookmark

2 new pieces using GPO

Hello to everyone!

Since I am no longer sick I worked like mad on finishing 2 new pieces for a movie.

The first one underscores a \"Dramatic Conversation\" and features GPO, QLSO Silver Choir, and 3 free VST-Synths I found on Kvr-VST.com. Like the whole movie, this is totally over the top, especially in the end when some relevations about the tragic past of the hero are made. This piece made my PC crawl (I have only one gig of ram and those ASUS-devils made it so that I can\'t upgrade... [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img] ), it wouldn\'t react for like 15 seconds when pressing \"play\". The only workaround: Tweak it a bit, render the whole thing, listen to it in an editor, repeat...

Later in the movie the hero is found \"Sneaking Around\" the enemy headquarters, being nearly discovered a few times. I used GPO, the free Woodblocks (they were triggered from Sibelius 3.1 and recorded in GIGA, the audio file was imported into Cubase SX2) from Westgate (that guy made some amazing perc. stuff) and the ratchet is from QLSO Silver (damn, I never use more instruments from it... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ).

The string glissandi are a bit crappy, since I don\'t know how to to multi-octave glisses. The quartertone-vibratos on the other hand are handpainted and sound quite cool. Maybe I\'ll add some solo-string vibrato-lines so it will sound more like a real string section.

As always I enjoy your feedback!

Peter

Re: 2 new pieces using GPO

It seems no one has commented on your pieces! Well, I liked \'em! Let\'s hear more of your work. I think they are very good for demonstrating that GPO is fine for film scoring work, etc.

I\'m keeping them on my HD!

Very nice

That\'s great stuff for films.....scared me a couple of times! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Great variety, dynamics and inventive too.

How did you do those scary string s 1:24- 1:40 in the second demo. Is that just strings with a pitch controller?

Frank

sounds like it me Hardy.

Peter this is GREAT stuff. Well done.

Great stuff. I really like the arrangement. The only criticism I have is that some parts (especially the first demo) sound a little too mechanical - not fluid enough - as if it was all step recorded. I wanted to hear a more human touch - more legato in places as if performed by a real orchestra. But other than that I think you composed some fine pieces!

Oops, I completely forgot about this thread after posting it. So let me thank you for your nice commments, even if it is a bit late.

@kgsteve: Yes, it\'s quite mechanical. I notated everything in Sibelius, rendered to midi and imported it into Cubase. I\'m a terrible pianist and that\'s why I usually don\'t enter the notes manually. On the other hand I try to achieve more realism by painstakingly painting many modwheel curves to imitate how a real player would produce the sound.

@Hardy: The Violins1+2 and Violas are supposed to play a slow quatertone vibrato. When real string sections do that, you get a wonderful wall of sound that can\'t easily be emulated with samples (because the complete sampled section play the vibrato). You\'re right: I simply painted a pitchbend curve for each string section.

Peter

Originally posted by musicpete:
    Oops, I completely forgot about this thread after posting it. So let me thank you for your nice commments, even if it is a bit late.

@kgsteve: Yes, it\'s quite mechanical. I notated everything in Sibelius, rendered to midi and imported it into Cubase. I\'m a terrible pianist and that\'s why I usually don\'t enter the notes manually. On the other hand I try to achieve more realism by painstakingly painting many modwheel curves to imitate how a real player would produce the sound.

@Hardy: The Violins1+2 and Violas are supposed to play a slow quatertone vibrato. When real string sections do that, you get a wonderful wall of sound that can\'t easily be emulated with samples (because the complete sampled section play the vibrato). You\'re right: I simply painted a pitchbend curve for each string section.

Peter
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I have the same situation as you do. One thing I\'ve had success doing is to be constantly nudging the tempo around by drawing tempo events, sometimes from note to note!

Btw, these are very good and should be on Gary\'s site (if they aren\'t already).

Originally posted by nexus:

Btw, these are very good and should be on Gary\'s site (if they aren\'t already).
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Bravo Peter,

Another fabulous job. These are excellent and I would like to post them on the GPO site.

Thanks for reviving the thread.

Gary Garritan

Go Back to forum