• Register
  • Help

Topic: Talent

Share/Bookmark

Talent

I just spent some time listening to as many of the member submitted mp3\'s as I could find and I just have to say... WOW!! There are some insanely talented people in this Forum. Damn fine work.

Re: Talent

I agree 100%. I really feel lousy when I hear some of this stuff. I\'m ready to quit trying all together.

Joseph,

Don\'t get too discouraged. You can always improve your music with this plug-in.

http://news.harmony-central.com/Newp/2002/Talent.html

-- Martin

Yeah, but I want to do it the hard way: through blood, sweat, tears, and lots of cursing. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Originally posted by gypsyfingers:
    I just spent some time listening to as many of the member submitted mp3\'s as I could find and I just have to say... WOW!! There are some insanely talented people in this Forum. Damn fine work.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Most of the people who do the demos are not professionals. Many have day jobs and work on these demos in their spare time. To paraphrase Edison, talent is one per cent inspiration and ninety-nine per cent perspiration.

And if you notice, the insanely talented people here are helping the rest of us.

Gary Garritan

Martin, I just really paid attention to the link you sent me to. You\'re crazy [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Originally posted by mschiff:
    Joseph,

Don\'t get too discouraged. You can always improve your music with this plug-in.

http://news.harmony-central.com/Newp/2002/Talent.html

-- Martin
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Ha! I\'ve been working on a \"suck knob\" type plugin - basically you can insert the suck knob on any channel and turn it up or down depending on how much \"suck\" you have to get rid of! It\'s work is to bad vocals what a deesser is to bad ssssssssssssssssssssss [img]graemlins/tounge_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

ahh... and I also hate it when you yourself have to be the one to turn down the suck knob to bad vocals during a mix. (get them in the mood, give them tips.. bla bla)

All my music sucks the first time I play it onto a track. But somewhere in there was an idea, a feeling, a musical thought. It doesn\'t have to be complex or intricately structured. Then it becomes a process of handing out individual musical chores to various instruments that you best feel can carry the feeling through that section. Don\'t be afraid of hacking away at notes, removing them, replacing them with better ones; inverting chords or changing octaves. Each little change adds up to better music. Most of the time, I am taking stuff away or just moving it to a different track/instrument. Remember, a chord need only contain three or four different notes; does it really need five or six? Then there\'s mixing and dynamics which can breathe life into any piece.

It\'s a lot of tedious, hard work. A two-minute piece can take up to a week or more before I really start to like it. Like Edison said, don\'t forget the perspiration. One more thing: spend as much or more time listening to the kind of music you are trying to emulate as you are composing it for yourself. I hope this helps.

Go Back to forum