• Register
  • Help

Topic: sfz settings

sfz settings

I have a question regarding the use of the Aria player with Garritan libraries as a plug in in Sonar X3. When you look at the Info tab of the Aria engine (you have to have a track selected with an instrument in it), there is something that says "sfz parsing details." If you right click on the "SFZ level," several options, a drop down appears with a number of options. What are these for? Also, there is a blue button that says "Open in text editor." What is that for?

Re: sfz settings

Gee, I have been using Sonar for years and have upgraded as far as Sonar X3 and never really paid attention to the ARIA engine's Info page. Did you check at the Plogue site (the people who made the ARIA engine) and ask that question?

They would definitely know the answers you are looking for.

My parsing details have SFZ Level set to 2.0 with ARIA extensions. But I see that I can change that to SFZ Level: 1.0 or SFZ Level: 2.0 without the ARIA extensions. Whatever that means. Did you experiment with the different settings to see what happens?

As for the text editor, I believe that is for editing the text files associated with each Garritan instrument to tweak some of the settings. That is probably for someone who knows how the samples work and what can be changed in the text files associated with that instrument. (I would suppose that is like tweaking the registry of your computer. Probably not something you should do unless you know what you are doing.) GPO and JaBB work great for me at the default settings that ARIA sets them to so I don't really look at the info page. Matter of fact, this was the first time I looked since you arouse my curiosity.

Best of luck at getting an answer.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Thanks for the reply, Rich. I had to open an account at Plogue and it hasn't been approved yet, so I'll have to wait. I haven't tried tinkering with the settings on the info page, although my fingers itch every time I think about it. I tend to have a progression in these things. It's "Oh, that's cool! Oh, that's cooler! Oh, that's broke." Some time back I posted a note on the Garritan Make Music forum about getting a more realistic fiddle sound out of the Garritan World Instruments, and one of the guys actually went in and diddled with something and actually created a new "sfz" file which he offered up, and man did that sound nice! Don't know what he did, but I'm glad there are some zero and one boys out there that can do that kind of stuff. I'll let you know when I get an answer from Plogue.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I have been burned a few times pushing the limits of software (and hardware - burned a video card once!!!).

I'll keep an eye on this thread and see what you find out.

Happy Hunting
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Okay, here is what one of the guys over at Plogue said:

"This info tab will be shown when older version of Garritan Libraries are installed (always check for updates) or bare, imported SFZ files are used.
    This is meant for sample libraries developers/hackers and should be disregarded if you just want to "Play"

Sounds like maybe some of my libraries need updating. He didn't say anything about the text editing, but I'm assuming it isn't for the uninitiated to be messing around with.

Just in case anyone else is interested in this, here is what I got from MakeMusic. I had sent him a screenshot showing what I was talking about:

Thank you for sending over this screenshot. Your libraries are definitely up to
    date - The page you're seeing appears when the newer version of the ARIA Player
    communicates with certain Garritan Libraries such as GPO4. I recommend that you
    leave these settings unchanged. (The default option should be "SFZ Level 2.0
    with ARIA Extensions".) From there, you should be able to continue using your
    GPO4 library without any trouble, but if you do encounter some kind of a
    playback issue, I recommend that you contact us first. Plogue can be a very
    helpful source of information, but their company uses a large number of other
    libraries. By contrast, MakeMusic directly supports Garritan products
    specifically, so even if you do see an issue in the ARIA Player, if you're using
    Garritan products, I recommend that you contact us first when you need

Peter F
    MakeMusic Customer Support

Go Back to forum