• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO "Technical Proficiency"

GPO "Technical Proficiency"

Hey, all...

I just wanted to know how \"technically proficient\" you need to be with MIDI and a sequencer to get usable audio out of GPO? I plan on using mainly Finale to write with (using the GPO patch for it), and then Cakewalk Home Studio 2004 XL for minor tweaking (i.e., getting fermatas and crescendos to actually happen).

With these two tools, should I expect to get a decent recording out of GPO, at least suitable enough for my performers to have an idea of what I had in mind when I wrote a particular piece?

Chandler, Arizona

Re: GPO "Technical Proficiency"

GPO was designed for students and hobbyists. The learning curve is not very steep to get good results. Just make sure you read the manual to learn what controls what. Programming is very consistent from instrument to instrument.

GPO was my first sample library and I have to admit, it was very easy to learn. Just read through the manual and have fun playing around with it, the experimentation could teach you more about it\'s limitations than we ever could.

For its price and size its capable of a lot of performance out of very little work.

With these two tools (Finale, Cakewalk Homestudio), should I expect to get a decent recording out of GPO, at least suitable enough for my performers to have an idea of what I had in mind when I wrote a particular piece?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I use a similar set up and get very good results. I\'ve even been brave enough to forego the live performers and demo my result to me friends (and yes, they are STILL my friends ...)

Also remember the Midi Finger Conductor application (5) Midi Finger Conductor Performance Tool (use one finger to play anything!): http://lotal.narod.ru/

This is discussed on other threads. Do a search for it, if you are interested.

I did a search here and didn\'t find anything but a mention of the midi finger controller.

I did download it (and read the help file). I also downloaded recommended hubie\'s loopback virtual ports but it had no help file and I\'m lost.

I tried to record a midi file into midi finger and can get nowhere, perhaps because I don\'t have a clue how to use the virtual port.

I\'m not usually this dense but I\'m having one of those days. Is there anywhere you can direct me?

I\'m playing the midi file in Sonar3 and midi finger isn\'t getting it - and all my inputs do show up. Sorry to bother anyone, but any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

my 2 cents...

From my experience, I\'d say you\'d have to be fairly proficient with your sequencer. That is, you\'d need to be ready to program in LOTS of pedals and modulation to get GPO, or any orchestra lib to sound right. As for me, being a first time orchestrator, this took quite a while to understand and to put under control. I\'m still learning, but getting nice sounding results from GPO has been much easier after I\'ve learned how to effectively use the modwheel and pedal.

Can\'t say the pedal, velocity and mod wheel usage are second nature just yet, but I\'d imagine sooner or later I\'ll learn to use them freely.

Of course, if you just need a really rough draft for your musicians, then you probably won\'t need to be really precise about making the GPO rendition sound \"realistic\".

GPO is one of those things that falls under the category of \"a minute to learn... a lifetime to master.\"

You can get very good results very early in the learning cycle, but to go that last mile, you\'ll really need a deep understanding of MIDI, sequencer software, orchestration, and instrument limitations. Any orchestral playing, conducting, and live listening you have in your experience helps as well. I even believe that a knowledge of acoustics helps.

For realism, my number one suggestion is to make sure that nothing is quantized 100%. In addition, wind pairs sound best when you choose two different samples, or at least detune and re-pan one of the instruments slightly.

Go Back to forum