• Register
  • Help

Topic: Ambiance reverb causes heavy CPU load

Re: Ambiance reverb causes heavy CPU load

(Depends on the speed of your computer but) nothing unusual there. Ambience does put a demand on the CPU at its maximum quality setting. Either limit yourself to the use of one instance of Ambience or try lowering the quality setting.

Sure. Most all reverbs worth their salt are processor hogs. Actually Ambience is not nearly as bad as some other reverbs. Don’t use the wet samples for tracking. You want to use them only for evaluation. Once you have picked you instrumentation load the dry sounds for tracking. When you’re finished tracking, use the reverb on your recorded tracks. If you are already doing this you probably need a faster machine and/or more ram. Don\'t forget to use aux tracks for your effects, so you can gang multiple tracks together, running them through the same reverb instance.

Hope this answers your question.

Ambiance reverb causes heavy CPU load

I love the sound of the Ambiance reverb plugin that comes with GPO. However, I\'ve noticed that it puts quite a load on my CPU. And if I use multiple instances of it, I\'m almost sure to hear glitches in my audio output due to the CPU load.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Now, I know I might get smacked in the mouth for this, but...

Wouldn\'t it be easier (and more efficient on yor CPU) to just record your music without effects, then to add a reverb effect to the finished wave form? I know I can do this with the wave editor that comes with the Sound Blaster Audigy, and I\'ve heard many sequencers (Cakewalk Home Studio XL, being on of them) can also add effects after the fact.

You are absolutely right. Of course a lot depends on the style of music you are producing. In pop/rock and other forms of music than orchestral, there often are effects on each track. However when you go to a symphonic concert you are listening to the orchestra in one hall. It stands to reason that you should only use one reverb.

There are a couple of ways to do this. In my limited experience, as I mentioned above, I like to use aux. Tracks for reverb and eq since it preserves the original mix making it easy to make changes later. All DAWs worth their salt have these features. This doesn’t use any more resources than placing them on your final track. Different strokes…….

Using one reverb effect on the final mix does not give you much control. I usually feel I need differing wet/dry balances for different instruments.

What I do in Sonar is to create a reverb bus with one instance of a plugin. The output of that bus goes directly to the final mix bus. Then for each individual track, I control the amount of reverb by adjusting the input level to the reverb bus.

Might not help you if you\'re not using Sonar, but the idea may translate easily into your software.

Go Back to forum