• Register
  • Help

Topic: Looking for short MPEG or AVI film clips to compose by?

Share/Bookmark

Looking for short MPEG or AVI film clips to compose by?

Hope this isn\'t too off-topic but I know a lot of you compose film and television scores using GOS and might be able to help me.

I\'m just getting started with a career change from pop composer to interactive media/film composition. I was wondering if anyone could direct me to a website where I could download short atmospheric film clips to import into Sonar?

Thanks

Re: Looking for short MPEG or AVI film clips to compose by?

I did a Google search but had trouble finding exactly the sort of site you\'re looking for.

One idea might be to check out the Internet Movie Database at www.imdb.com -- it\'s occasionally got links to movie clips for certain movies, and usually has trailers for each movie, though sadly the trailers are in streaming format which you can\'t save to your hard drive.

JWB,

Hi. Turner Classic Movies offers a silent film composition contest on their website. I beleive that there are at least 4 clips from a silent film, (I think this time around it is The Temptress) I hope this helps.

You may also find some here:
    http://www.archive.org/movies/prelinger.php

Jonny
    www.jonnylostinc.com

If you have a DVD Player in your pc, you could try ripping some of the material from one. It takes a long time to do much of anything very long but I did it on a short scene from \"Gladiator\" just for practice. It\'s like a three step process between ripping, converting, and loading into your sequencer. (Cubase SX in my case). There is a lot of freeware to do these tasks. For what you are wanting to do with it, I dont think that there are any legal issues. Good Luck,

Eric W

Well these are all very good suggestions... thanks. I know because of legal issues this is a \"borderish\" topic. Even short independent films made by up-and-coming cinematographers are difficult to obtain as downloads.

I appreciate your ideas. I\'ll work on these today.

Jon

JWB, a good way to practice is to look for DVD\'s that include deleted scenes. A lot of times these scenes are without music.

For example, the Dreamcatcher DVD (although a terrible movie, imo) includes its \"original\" ending as a special feature, but it plays without any music at all. It\'s about five minutes long and just CALLS out for some dramatic music to help bring it to life.

Yo,

http://www.empiremovies.com/trailers.shtml

You might have to convert them though.

Thanks for all the good information and links. This is proving to be more difficult than I thought. I guess my best option is to rip some material from a DVD (not sure it\'s legal) and place it in Sonar. If I can do it, at least I can be more selective of movie scenes.

Jon

Go Back to forum