• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Standalone Mod Wheel?

Orcas Island

Standalone Mod Wheel?

Does anyone know of a standalone mod wheel on the market? There are some people with keyboards that do not have mod wheels and some are asking if anyone sells just a mod wheel. If anyone has other alternatives please let us know.

Gary Garritan

Re: Standalone Mod Wheel?

How about the USB Shuttle? I know it can be programmed to control most parameters, and because it has a jog/shuttle wheel, it would feel like a volume knob you\'re turning, and the mod wheel controls volume for most instruments, might feel more natural than the mod wheel.

Does anyone have one of the USB Shuttles that they could try this for us?

UK- teeming with life....

Gary I\'m afraid I don\'t know of any on the market with actual mod wheels although there are many midi controller boxes where you could assign a slider.

I use a Yamaha MCS2 with my Technics PX7 piano/master keyboard (these items date me!). The MCS2 has both pitch and mod wheels and they may be available second hand.....search the web/ebay/SH music shops.

Chandler, Arizona

The Edirol PCR MIDI controllers have loads of programmable sliders, knobs and switches. They include templates for many common programs and are very programmable.

The range from about $170 for a 2 octave keyboard to $399 for the 5 octave model (which I\'ve seen for around $320). We used the Edirol PCR-80 at NAMM.

That\'s why I bought an M-Audio Oxygen 8. It has pitch bend and mod and 8 extra controllers. It also takes up little space.

I don\'t have a modwheel on my main rig, so I pulled out an OLD, nearly useless synth I had stacked in a closet and hooked it up with a midi splitter for its mod wheel. Works great.

My son uses an little two octave keyboard from M-Audio that has tons of midi-controllers on it. Cost about $150.

Hi Gary,

I don’t know of such a toy, but after reading a post from someone who didn’t have a mod wheel, I got to thinking, [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] what if some enterprising programmer could program a trackball to do that. It seems that it would be easy enough. Since the buttons on a trackball can be programmed to imitate a keystroke, or series of strokes, that action could trigger a snippet of code that would read the vertical screen coordinates and convert them into midi code.

Perhaps the host DAW could respond to it as if it were a control surface. When you were done using your make-believe mod wheel just press the button again to turn it back into a trackball.

I’m sure this is too simple to work, but it was just a fleeting thought that has been nagging at me for a while. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I looked into this since I have a Roland A-37 that does not have a traditional MOD wheel.
    There is a German company called Doepfer that sells MIDI controllers to the US that has several useful things. One is the \"Pocket Electronics\" kit (http://www.doepfer.de/pe.htm) that allows you to build your own controllers with several different things. It sells for about $80 US. The power supply that comes with it is a European model so a US power supply would be needed. They also will sell you a modulation wheel kit ( wheel, mounting square, screws, potentiometer ) for about 10 Euro. Keep in mind the wheel kit WILL NOT work without the controller above.
    I have contemplated cutting a hole in the case of my A-37 to add such a wheel, but have not decided to void my warranty yet [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I\'m using an expression pedal for making modulation adjustments [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Can you give details on using an exprssion pedal for modulation?

Go Back to forum