• Register
  • Help

Topic: Velocity

Share/Bookmark

Velocity

Hi...
    Just a learner\'s question here...In trying to learn how GPO behaves, I entered a line from Gabrieli into a sequencer & loaded a solo trumpet into GPO studio. I changed velocity on a series of running 16ths. While I think I noticed a \"softening\" of attack on low velocities, I did not necessarily hear a corresponding hard attack on velocities in the 120s.
    Then I loaded one of the solo violins into GPO Studio and it was MUCH more responsive to velocity.
    I\'m going to run that same line through reeds, other brass, etc...

What advice do GPO experts have for getting brass to really \"bite\" on an attack--not quite sfz, but a clear \"tah\" if words can describe what I mean?

Jim--back to Gabrieli

Re: Velocity

I used a combination of velocity and mod wheel cranked way up to get the more staccato feel of the trumpet for this demo:

www.fallofautumn.com/sundaymorning.mp3

Thanx, Alan--I did not have the mod wheel cranked too high--I\'ll go max it and see how the trumpet responds to velocity then!!
    Jim

My next question is:

What does the \"external controller\" slider do on the Kontakt Player?

Right now I am not hooked up to a MIDI keyboard so I use the virtual keyboard in Kontakt for testing.

I set the external controller to some useful effect such as velocity or even modwheel and start with the slider in the middle and click on the virtual keyboard, noting the sound.
    Then I run the slider all the way up, and click on the virtual keyboard. No difference. No difference if I run the slider all the way down.

What is this slider supposed to do? Will it only respond to a MIDI keyboard keypress and not the virtual keyboard?

FINALLY...(at least for tonight, I promise) Why would I want to turn OFF the Kontakt player setting regarding CC7 and CC10?

If these are dumb questions I apologize in advance. The waves from my old tube ham transmitter are affecting my brain cells.
    Jim

Jim,

“What does the \"external controller\" slider do on the Kontakt Player?”

Nothing. It’s inactive in the present version of GPO. It may be used in the future.

“Why would I want to turn OFF the Kontakt player setting regarding CC7 and CC10?”

When that option is turned OFF the instruments load with predetermined level and pan settings – you needn’t bother with entering data at the beginning of the tracks. With the option turned ON the user is required to enter data at the beginning of the track to set these values. Mainly it comes down to whether you wish to have external MIDI control of level and panning – both approaches do the job.

Tom

Jim,

Thank goodness the option to turn off the cc7 and cc10 exists in the player - if you happen to use Logic as your sequencer, any embedded cc7 or cc10 messages in any midi track feeding a given multi-instrument will act as \'master controls\' for the multi track. I found this to be a maddening problem, I couldn\'t figure out how my track was being hijacked ... Now I know, and I religiously avoid any cc7 or cc10 messages in any midi track feeding a multi in Logic.

Trond

Trond,

Good point. Logic certainly has its own set of problems and this helps with one of them.

Tom

“What does the \"external controller\" slider do on the Kontakt Player?”

Nothing. It’s inactive in the present version of GPO. It may be used in the future.

AHA! I\'m not a total hosehead. Did I miss that in the manual or readme?

Thanx...Jim

Go Back to forum