• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Controller problem

Share/Bookmark

Controller problem

Hi everyone, my first post. I\'m having trouble using my mod wheel in sonar. The keyboard I use is a nasty little Evolution MK-149 the mod wheel is completely re-assignable. When I asign it to cc1 (mod wheel) sonar does not pickup or record the mod wheel data the Garritan player shows no animation of the on screen mod wheel either. my question really is.. will i get the same articulation effects if I simply re-assign the mod wheel to cc7(volume)rather than cc1(mod). When i assign the mod wheel to cc7 this controller data is pickup and recorded in sonar. If i do this I,m not sure if I will be loosing some of the articulation effects of GPO. Any help would be appreciated
    Regards

Paul

Re: Controller problem

Paul,

It is essential that you get mod wheel data working properly – cc7 is not a replacement. All expressive (non-percussive) instruments are programmed to use cc1 to control both volume and dynamic timbre changes – it is a primary controller. Try to discover the reason Sonar is failing to pass cc1. Try to check to make sure your keyboard is actually sending cc1 data when you assign it. If it is, make sure you are not inadvertently filtering mod wheel data as it arrives in Sonar. This seems unlikely unless you are actually inserting a MIDI plugin for that purpose. Maybe others will have some suggestions.

Tom

Thanks Tom, Ive experimented a bit more and installed the OEM Cubasis, this picks up my mod wheel perfectly, so its pointing towards a sonar3 issue, rather than a keyboard issue.
    I just opened a brand new empty project in sonar armed a midi track and recorded, it picked up note events even picked up pitch bend but it will not recognize cc1 !!!...ive used sanar for quite a while now but never had to use the mod wheel before..GPO was not even loaded in the experiment.
    This is strange..has anyone else come across this issue in sonar?
    Regards
    Paul

Paul,
    so its pointing towards a sonar3 issue, rather than a keyboard issue..... This is strange..has anyone else come across this issue in sonar?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I\'m not really able to help you constructively with your problem except to point out that there is most likely something odd in your settings because I run Sonar3 Producer along with GPO and I have no problem whatsoever recording any of the CC1\'s with it. So I don\'t believe it\'s totally a Sonar problem. [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] Maybe just an operator problem? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Hopefully someone else may have some more helpful suggestions.

Dave

Paul,
    I would suggest just arming a midi track without loading GPO into Sonar at all. Makesure you have the \"Enable Automation Playback\" button pressed. Then go look in your Piano Roll view and see if it does indeed record the CC1 data on the bottom half of the screen in the piano roll view. If you are receiving CC1 data here, then it must be some problem communicating between Sonar and GPO. If you aren\'t getting data in sonar, you might want to check that you have the mod wheel assigned correctly.

I also use GPO and Sonar 3 and an evolution controller (461c) and I haven\'t had any problem.
    -Mike

I\'m running Sonar 3.1.1 pe with GPO with no controller problems

Make sure you go into the Options-Global-Midi menu and check the Record Controller check box

Fred

I too am having some problems using Sonar 3 and GPO.

I can get Sonar to record the mod wheel info. (By the way, I have it reassigned it to a different controller because my midi keyboard has an all-in-one pitch bend/mod wheel joystick that you have to push forward to get modulation and this does not get good smooth dynamics with GPO)

Mod wheel info shows up in track view, but when I goto edit it in piano roll view it does not show up. This is big limitation because all your mod wheel performances have to be perfect every time and mine, generally, are not.

Originally posted by DavidMorehead:
    Mod wheel info shows up in track view, but when I goto edit it in piano roll view it does not show up. This is big limitation because all your mod wheel performances have to be perfect every time and mine, generally, are not.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">The controller pane in the piano roll view will be at the bottom of the window, but it may currently be hidden for you. Click the little grid icon to the left of the horizontal scrollbar and that should open it.

When it\'s open, select \'Control\' in the first dropdown, then \'1-Modulation\' in the second. At that point you can edit Mod data with the pencil tool.

- m

Originally posted by Paul Egginton:
    I just opened a brand new empty project in sonar armed a midi track and recorded, it picked up note events even picked up pitch bend but it will not recognize cc1 !!!
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Is it recognizing any CC messages? If not, check out \"Options|Global...|MIDI|Record:Controller\". That should be checked. (EDIT: Ooops, looks like fred beat me to this one!)

One thing to help us out would be to install my TenCrazy.com MFX PortDiag plugin, which will let you see what events are actually getting to the track before recording.

- m

The problem was Sonar was not displaying the mod wheel data in track view. The solution was to enter the number \"1\" in the control pull-down box down at the bottom left of the piano roll editing screen. Normally, Sonar displays all the options but, when using GPO, it just gives you a \"0\" with no other info.

You have to put a \"1\" in the box and then draw some data. Magically the other data becomes visible and then you can edit it. Weird, but I am so glad this works. I thought I was doomed to having to get the mod wheel movements perfect every time I entered notes! Not in this lifetime! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum