• Register
  • Help

Topic: Lush String "wah-wah"

Share/Bookmark

Lush String "wah-wah"

Now, the answer may be obvious, but I don\'t have a clue. I want a very lush string sound, all legato, but the \"lush string\" tends to have a \"wah-wah\" effect at the begining of notes. This is especially noticeable in a passage where many notes are called for. How do I make a more legato effect, versus a \"wah-wah\" one?

Re: Lush String "wah-wah"

Originally posted by FossMan:
    Now, the answer may be obvious, but I don\'t have a clue. I want a very lush string sound, all legato, but the \"lush string\" tends to have a \"wah-wah\" effect at the begining of notes. This is especially noticeable in a passage where many notes are called for. How do I make a more legato effect, versus a \"wah-wah\" one?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">FossMan,

Using the sustain pedal for legato mode will give you that smooth connected legato you are seeking. The sustain pedal acts as an anti-\"wah wah\" pedal [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Gary Garritan

Thanks so much for the response, and now that you\'ve decribed it for me, it makes sense. I only have two questions now:

I do not have a sustain pedal, so how do I manually enter the MIDI controller(s)\"

Also, can this legato effect be applied to more than just strings?

all instruments have the legato feature, and they\'re all mapped to the sustain pedal. (for solo strings, it\'s legato + alt bowing) Sustain pedal is CC# 64, and toggles between 127 and 0. You can manually input that in your MIDI sequencer. Most of the time, I play using the sustain pedal, but I have to go back and edit the MIDI data anyway. (so you\'re not missing out on much)

Check the manual from page 21 and forward. There you can see what is affected by the sustain. If you use cubase you can easily edit sustain under the notes. I agree with the one above, editing after recording works good. Its hard to do the correct sustain when recording notes, especially if you are improvising.

Cool. Thanks, kensuguro. I\'ll use that!

Go Back to forum