• Register
  • Help

Topic: Bug in GPO4 Oboe d'Amore sfz file ... fixed.

Share/Bookmark

Cool Bug in GPO4 Oboe d'Amore sfz file ... fixed.

Greetings All,

After creating a rendering of the 1st aria in Bach's BWV 170 I noticed a nasty 'glitch' in the Oboe d'Amore part where a C4 was being held for a relatively long time. I played it on the stand alone Aria player and sure enough both the C4 and the B below glitched.

Investigating the appropriate sfz file I find that they use the same sample.
    "<region> lovel=1 hivel=127 lokey=59 hikey=60 pitch_keycenter=60 amplitude=100 tune=0 loop_mode=loop_continuous loop_start=140796 loop_end=147402 sample=OboeDAmorC4_0001102C.audio"

Opening the C4 sample (OboeDAmorC4_0001102C.audio) in Audacity and entering the start and end points of the loop, I find that the start point (140796) is at a zero crossing point but the end point (147402) is at a wave peak. Experimenting with changes to the end point, I was able to get a zero crossover point and the correct position within the overall wave form, at 147388.

Editing the sfz file to reflect the new loop crossover end point and reloading the sample has effected a complete cure.

Should I post the corrected sfz file?

Regards,
    John.
    Author of MIDI tutorials at http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/index.cgi

Re: Bug in GPO4 Oboe d'Amore sfz file ... fixed.

Haven't been here in quite a while and thought I'd check in. Perfect fix. Thanks a lot John.
    Bill

How can us non-computer-techs use this to correct out system?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Davis View Post
    How can us non-computer-techs use this to correct out system?
    Hi Tom,

It's not too difficult providing a) that you can type into a simple text editor, Windows Notepad is ideal, and b) that you can navigate your way around the libraries (or folders if you wish). I'm supremely confident that you can do this.

What I can describe is how it's done under the Windows o/s not Mac, although the procedure must be virtually the same.
    I also assume that when installing GPO you used all the defaults for program location.

Here goes.
    In Windows explorer navigate your way to Program Files then within that to Garritan and within that to Personal Orchestra 4. Within that lies a folder called Instruments. This folder contains the sfz files that instruct Aria how to play the samples for every GPO4 instrument.

Underlying Instruments is a folder for each instrument set, e.g. Woodwinds, Brass, etc.
    The Oboe d'Amore being a woodwind lies within the first folder Woodwinds so we open that and find yet another set of Flutes, etc.
    Finally we open the folder Oboes and Eng. Horn and find the sfz file we seek, "Oboe D'Amore Solo.sfz". (At last!)

In order to open this with Notepad we can right click on it and choose "open with" from the popup menu.
    If Notepad isn't one of the already available options then we can select "choose program" and select Notepad from the resulting list. Of course, if you're computer literate enough to shorten this procedure by opening Notepad in the first place and then navigating your way straight to the file, all the better.

It's always a good idea to make a backup copy of the file before editing. You have been warned!!!!

Now we're there we need to scroll down to the place where we see the first set of <region> commands.
    We need to alter the second region. It looks like this:

<region> lovel=1 hivel=127 lokey=59 hikey=60 pitch_keycenter=60 amplitude=100 tune=0 loop_mode=loop_continuous loop_start=140796 loop_end=147402 sample=OboeDAmorC4_0001102C.audio

We need to alter the "147402" so it reads "147388", like this:

<region> lovel=1 hivel=127 lokey=59 hikey=60 pitch_keycenter=60 amplitude=100 tune=0 loop_mode=loop_continuous loop_start=140796 loop_end=147388 sample=OboeDAmorC4_0001102C.audio

Once we've done that we can save the file in the usual way.
    Upon re-loading the file into Aria we should find no more end of loop glitches.

Eureka!

Kind regards,
    John.

P.S.
    Added later, the corrected file: https://app.box.com/s/9xgxbk78bp8eujtr1d0n
    Please backup the original before using this.
    As usual I accept no responsibility if you decide to use this file on your computer, etc., etc.
    E&OE.

John, it would be nice if people at Garritan would allow you to share your edit.
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

Thanks John,

I abandoned this oboe a long time ago because of the problem you describe.
    following your directions it is fixed now.
    Thanks, again, how nice that your problem and solution becomes our solution.

Ted

Hello Ted and Fabio,

So pleased it has fixed things for you, Ted and I wrote to Garritan support within minutes of posting my findings here and at the other Garritan forum, Fabio. That was last Sunday and here we are already at Thursday ... no reply.

Despite their claims to answer within 1 working day, my contribution has been answered by a deafening silence.
    I had at least hoped for an additional acknowledgement by a human rather than just the automated one, but I'm afraid my expectations have been affirmed! How the company has changed since their acquisition by MakeMusic.

Ted, if there any other similar bugs you are aware of please would you let me know?
    I am always happy to share any solutions with others in the generous way others have helped me on this forum.

That goes for anyone else with bugs in any of Garritan libraries (latest versions) except the latest CFX Piano, but does include the basic Steinway (not the full version unfortunately).
    I shall then undertake a similar exercise to attempt to fix them. It isn't rocket science!
    But don't expect much until the new year, I'm a bit busy right now finishing the Bach cantata that started the whole exercise.
    I learned in the course of the exercise that Audacity could deal with 'raw' sample files using the import command. Very useful.

I shall be out of contact for a week on a trip, but will look in before the start of Christmas festivities.

Please see my previous post where I have added the corrected file.

Kind regards,
    John.

I appreciate all your efforts and though not "rocket science" it is well beyoind the abilities of many of us that want the instruments to work correctly when purchased.

Thanky you and Happy Holidays!
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Go Back to forum