• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: I need to improve this music, and quickly.

Share/Bookmark

I need to improve this music, and quickly.

So I\'ve composed the music for my school\'s Drama Club\'s production of The Yellow Boat...we won at the festival (competition where various schools presents forty-minute plays) last night, and I got an award for \"technical excellence in music\" or something. We\'re going to the semi-finals in two weeks, and I think the music could use work:

http://www.freewebs.com/cerrabore/Introduction.mp3
    That\'s the first track. And apologies; this FreeWebs server is not good, so it may take a while to download. And the link doesn\'t work, so copy and paste.

First problem has something to do with attack time, or possibly sustain. Shrug. It\'s that, if you were looking at wavelengths, the strings sound like this:

....::::|||||| .....:::::|||||......::::: |||||

They basically don\'t blend together...this would be better:

.:||||||&#0124 ;|||:|||&#0124 ;|||:||||&#012 4;|||

I overlapped notes to sort of cover it up, but a better solution would be nice. And I\'ve tried turning on sustain, legato, \"pedal,\" all sorts of controllers; they don\'t work.

The problem is bad enough that for percussive instruments like the harp and piano, I have to insert a thirty-second rest at the beginning of the track to get them to \"match up\" with the strings. Brass too.

Ah yes, and this is using GPO Studio.

The second thing is that the playback seems a little \"arrhythmic.\" Using GPO as a VST in Cubasis solved it, but then I can\'t figure out how to apply the reverb in Cubasis, so the music doesn\'t sound too good.

Well, I\'ll need to get this music fixed in probably...a week. Suggestions?

Re: I need to improve this music, and quickly.

In the intervening week, you should:
    1. Read the manual.
    1a. Use velocity to control attack time.
    1b. Use MOD1 to control color and volume of notes.
    1c. Select the appropriate instrument for the part (i.e. short bows)
    1d. Learn to love legato mode.
    2. Learn how to insert a reverb in Cubasis VST.
    3. When in doubt, refer to #1 above.

Mm, velocity didn\'t make a difference.

Is the correct way to apply reverb selecting it in the \"VST Send Effects\" box? If so, didn\'t work.

Yes, but then you need to go to each channel and turn it on. Go to the vst channel mixer and click on the insert button for each channel that applies. You\'ll see two knobs at the bottom of the channel. Turn it on from here and use the button to apply different amounts to reverb to each channel. Hope that makes sense.

You\'re way to hard on yourself. This song really has potential. This may be obvious, but you may want to look at substituting some of the quicker string lines with short bows. They do sound like they lag a little, and this may help since you said increasing the velocity didn\'t. Just throwing things out, I\'m a noob.

The first 40 seconds sound very good. Around 45 the strings should probably be short bows if that\'s what they are the attack sounds off. Harp sounds great, and I if that\'s not reverb on it already, I\'m going nuts, so you don\'t need any more of that. Panning and mixing sound okay too. I think this is a great song and will become even better with some programming. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Don\'t put yourself down - this is pretty good.

May I suggest you tone down the reverb a little, I think it\'s a little too wet. However, it could be the mp3 compression. When you go lower than 128kbps the reverb usually gets messed up sounding. I enjoyed the harp section specifically.

Nice job.

I\'ve not heard your piece since the download is so slow. However I was assuming that you were using the \"short+sustain\" string sections. If not, then you might consider switching to them, or perhaps splitting up the parts between the more lyrical and agressive playing. The comment made to create a new track simply for short bowed sections is a good one, but may not be necessary if you can get the \"sus+short\" bows to work for you in both contexts.

I just managed to listen to the first 30 seconds or so, but am waiting for the remainder of the file. What I hear, I like.

Learn about and use legato mode. See my edits to the first reply above. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Wow, I was strangely depressed this morning. Sorry about that.

This may be obvious, but you may want to look at substituting some of the quicker string lines with short bows. They do sound like they lag a little, and this may help since you said increasing the velocity didn\'t. Just throwing things out, I\'m a noob.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Suppose so, although I\'d like that section to sound fluid, and short bows don\'t do fluidity too well.

May I suggest you tone down the reverb a little, I think it\'s a little too wet. However, it could be the mp3 compression. When you go lower than 128kbps the reverb usually gets messed up sounding. I enjoyed the harp section specifically.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Well, the original copy is 192kbps, whereas this one is 96kbps. The original one was taking a VERY long time to download when I tested it, and I have cable. Hence the reduction in sound quality...but I think you\'re right about the reverb. I had it set to \"Concert Hall.\" So I\'ll turn down the wet meter a bit.

Okay, thanks guys.

EDIT:
    I\'ve not heard your piece since the download is so slow. However I was assuming that you were using the \"short+sustain\" string sections. If not, then you might consider switching to them, or perhaps splitting up the parts between the more lyrical and agressive playing. The comment made to create a new track simply for short bowed sections is a good one, but may not be necessary if you can get the \"sus+short\" bows to work for you in both contexts.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">The violins are indeed Sus+short, but they sound practically the same as lush...ah well, adding another track for the short bows should work.

Learn about and use legato mode.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Meh, tried the MIDI controller, but it had no effect...however, that\'s probably just a technical problem...shouldn\'t be too tough to solve.

If you want fast runs make sure you have legato mode working properly which will give you quick attacks. Higher velocities on first notes of phrases will add more bite and cut down on the fade in effect. Short bows are only needed when playing repeated staccato notes, usually 3 or more notes in a row.

Go Back to forum