• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GPO & OSX Solutions

Share/Bookmark

GPO & OSX Solutions

Our policy is to be honest and open to our customers. I always found it distasteful when dealing with companies that left you in the dark. It can be frustrating when a company stonewalls, or refuses to acknowledge the existence of any problems, gives empty assurances or, worse yet, does not communicate to their customers whatsoever (i.e. the infamous silent treatment). I want every GPO user a satisfied one.

GPO is working on the Mac and OSX. As attested by the posts here and elsewhere, and the great results coming from Mac users. But there are some hiccups as with all software. PCs are having few problems but Mac experiences are mixed – even with similar machines and software. Glamdring posted \"OS X -- it does work, it is stable, and we are out here\", starriver posts \"I have had no trouble with GPO, Logic 6.3.3, and OSX 10.3.2.\", thesoundsmith \"I\'m running DP 4.12 on a G4 dual 1.25 with 2G RAM. So far (three days!) not a bit of trouble with GPO under DP\", Edi reports \"have a G4 dual 1.25GHZ with 1.25GB memory. I use DP4 and ... Installation, registration and such administrative matters have gratefully always gone very smoothly.\" Karl writes: Gary, I can only speak for myself, but for me GPO works. I have only had real problems when I try to use it within a VST wrapper. As an AU with DP it’s OK\" .But christianb is having problems with Logic, and Unix_Guru is \"disappointed in the performance of the NI player (AU and VST)”

GPO is working well on many Macs, but not so well on others. We just have to work through this with everyone involved.

Here\'s what would be helpful from users.

</font><ul type=\"square\">[*]<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Read the manual . In some cases a user has not read the manual. In the past one user posted a negative diatribe on one of the forums about GPO not working - but never read the manual or called. So he never knew the Mod Wheel controlled volume so he couldn\'t hear anything. After that he absolutely loved GPO.</font>[*]<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Download the updates. In some cases, a user has not downloaded the updates and does not have the latest version (the most recent version is .008.). There have been two updates in the past two months that have fixed many of the Mac problems. A new update is right around the corner. So we need to find a way to get the message for folks to download the updates. NI has been really good about trying to fix known issues.</font>[*]<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Contact us with specific problems. Sometimes there could be a particular configuration problem with a user\'s machine. Broad generalizations like \"it doesn\'t work at all in OSX\" doesn\'t help and can be misleading. In many cases it’s a buffer setting or a RAM allocation. Users are advised to contact us or NI first. We are here to offer support and a quick call could eliminate some frustration. In most cases, we can get our Mac users up and running and satisfied.</font>[/list]<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">

Here\'s where we are so far:

PC: Works great for the most part. A few normal hiccups in the digestion of sample life, but generally operates fine in Cubase, Sonar, Nuendo, Fruity Loops. Some difficulty with ProTools PC and the orphaned Logic 5.5 due to lack of support from Apple.

Mac:
    Digital Performer: Seems to work very well for the most part.
    Logic: A mixed bag. Some users report good success others are pulling their hair out. There are bugs with the current version of Logic which will be addressed in the next Logic 6.4 update.
    ProTools: Also a mixed bag but seems to have the most problems. Digidesign uses proprietary hardware which sometimes seems to have problems with NI software.
    VST version: Mixed also

What We are Going to Do:
    </font><ul type=\"square\">[*]<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Be honest and communicate as often as possible to let users know where we are at and what is being done.</font>[*]<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Start a Mac bug list and together we can identify the problems so they can be corrected quickly. I will look into putting a section on my website for this.</font>[*]<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Get Native Instruments more involved with Users. We will forward every and all Mac concerns posted or communicated by email to Native Instruments. We will also try to get Native Instruments involved in this forum to answer some issues directly. I can\'t promise, but will make best efforts to get them here to directly address these issues.</font>[*]<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Get other Companies Involved. We will also try to involve Apple, Digidesign, and other companies what may be involved. Tomorrow I will contact Apple/Emagic and Digidesign to see how we can troubleshoot and streamline the issues.</font>[/list]<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">
    Thanks everyone, especially Mac users, for your patience and hopefully we can work through this and have every GPO user satisfied and making great music.

Gary Garritan

Re: GPO & OSX Solutions

No, we have to thank you for your great assistance!

Gary, Thank you for your efforts, your honesty and quick responses. My very best wishes for success in dealing with these perplexing difficulties. Remember, if you win over the Mac community you will probably have customers for life. We are usually a loyal bunch. One has to be to stick with Apple through thick and thin over the years as most of us have done. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Gary --

As far as I am concerned, I feel we are lucky to have someone as dedicated to their work and support as you. Karl is absolutely right; we Mac users are loyal buggers and will stick with you if you stick with us (which you are!)

thanks again!

Ed

Originally posted by Garritan:
    GPO is working well on many Macs, but not so well on others. We just have to work through this with everyone involved.

Here\'s what would be helpful from users.

Gary Garritan
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Thanks, a great first step!!

It\'s frustrating, as an end user, to have been left in the dark so many times by developers, this policy of being upfront is a MAJOR advance.

I\'m glad my post had some positive effect.

You can bet you\'ll continue to hear from me, good and bad

Ed

Hi all,

for those who don´t know myself yet, I am Martin, Sound Design Manager at Native Instruments and most of the part involved in the production of the Kontakt Player software.

I just wanted to say that we are aware of the problems that Kontakt Player has on the different platforms and hosts and that we are currently working on fixing these problems. We will soon have a beta version that will be tested and verified internally for the known bugs. Once this version has been successfully improved, we will post a new update on our website.

With best regards,

Martin

Martin,

Thank you for posting here. It is very reassuring for users to know that Native Instruments is diligently working to resolve any remaining issues. NI has made a bold step in providing high-quality sampling to people using various formats on both PC and Mac.

Gary Garritan

Thank you Gary. As you know from my several phonecalls and E mail\'s, I have had issues with GPO and Pro Tools on my Mac. I can\'t hardly wait for improvements and fixes. Your software is so incredibly awesome sounding, that to have it working well with my recording platform of choice will be very inspiring.

It has been great doing business with you thus far.

Thank you Gary. I extremely appreciate your efforts.

I look forward to the the new update.

Great post, Gary.

Mike Jasper

Go Back to forum