• Register
  • Help

Topic: harmonics - flageoletter

Share/Bookmark

harmonics - flageoletter

Im not sure if this is a proper question of this forum, but there are so many people here with a lot of knowledge, so perhaps someone have got the answer.

Harmonics (flageoletter in swedish) used on strings, you just press the string slightly instead of letting it touch the wood, brings a very crystalic sound. I read an article from MM (again.. swedish [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ) about different techniques used in an orchestra. They mentioned Wagners Lohengrin and blam - what a pretty sound.

Now my question, is this only used on violins or can it be used on violas and cellos as well? As i understand it is a rather complex process to make it sound right.

Subquestion - Does GOS (or any other libraries) have those samples in a playable way?

I really recommend listening to wagners lohengrin, it is the prelude to act one.

Re: harmonics - flageoletter

Yes, harmonics are used in all of the string instruments. There are quite usable harmonics in GOS.

Ravel uses harmonics quite a bit in all of the string sections. They are usually held out notes.

Crackbaby,

Harmonics are not only played on the violins; but the violas, cellos and even the double basses as well. GOS has string harmonics. There are also harmonic glisses which are one of the most unusual effects. Below is information taken from the GOS Manual:

\"Harmonics - The sound of harmonics is significantly different from that of normal strings. Harmonics possess a flute-like timbre and sound at times fragile and ethereal. The production of harmonics comprises two categories: Natural Harmonics and Artificial Harmonics. Natural Harmonics correspond to the natural overtone series of a vibrating object, such as a violin string. Each string has a \"natural\" series of harmonics based on the fundamental pitch of the open string. To produce a natural harmonic, the player lightly touches the vibrating string at one of several unmarked \"nodes,\" effectively dividing the string into two, three, four, or more vibrating segments of equal length (think of a sine wave). Each segment produces its own tone, which is in unison with the other segments. The result for the first three divisions is a light, \"pure\" tone, respectively, a perfect octave (2:1), perfect 12th (3:1; perfect octave plus perfect fifth), and perfect fifteenth (4:1; double perfect octave) above the string\'s fundamental tone. Artificial Harmonics allow the player to produce harmonics other than those of an open string\'s overtone series. \"Artificial\" harmonics work on the same principle as \"natural\" harmonics. However, they are created by first stopping the string on the fingerboard (raising the string\'s fundamental pitch), then lightly depressing the appropriate node between the \"stop point\" and the bridge.

In addition to harmonics, GOS also has Avant-Garde Effects (FX) - These comprise harmonic glissandos, which have a very peculiar sound popularized by the Polish composer Kryszstof Penderecki.

Hope this helps.

Gary Garritan

Any chance for at least a violin sec harmonics patch update for GPO? I love that sound.

Originally posted by nexus:
    Any chance for at least a violin sec harmonics patch update for GPO? I love that sound.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I think that\'s a good possibility for an update or an add-on.

Gary Garritan

Thank you all for your anwers! And thank you nexus for popping that question [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    Good thing i have money saved for any add-ons coming! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum