• Register
  • Help

Topic: GOS, Tips on scoring in a sequencer

GOS, Tips on scoring in a sequencer

Hello everyone! I am currently using GOS Lite and soon upgrading to the Advanced version. I was wondering if anyone has any tips or resources on writing more expressionate and fluid lines in a sequencer. I just havent been able to get that realism i hear in so many demos here and on GOS website.

I use Sonar for sequencing with GigaStudio.
    I just load all my bowings as seperate tracks, is this better than keyswitching? What about manual note entering vs. using a keyboard. Should all the expression be done through envelopes? I guess im just curious how other people achieve their results.

I have been playing in orchestras since i was a child so i have a strong feel for partwriting, but have never done arrangement work through midi for anything serious. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Los Angeles CA

Re: GOS, Tips on scoring in a sequencer

Hi AG,

Using Sonar w/GigaStudio, I sequence the parts using a \"layered string\" template in GS. Then I record them as 24-bit .wav files and import them into Sonar. Once there, they\'re easily manipulated for expression by right-clicking the file and adding a gain envelope.

For me it\'s more precise this way and the results are very good. Hope this helps...

The Garritan web site has a plethora of information on how to control the articulations and voicings. The documentation that comes with the Advanced version of GOS is stunning in its breadth and depth, as many here can attest. Start with the site and then you\'ll get the rest with the full package.

I load all bowings as separate tracks as well. I would stay away from manual note entering. The EXP instruments are very useful for expression. As well, the Alt and legato modes are really good for enhancing realism so that will be something to look forward to using when you upgrade.

Also I\'ve found that the bow noise samples help to create really nice string sound (for more intimate sounding strings).

As with anything else, experiment with it for a while. I would encourage you to take a look at the tutorials on the website once you get the full version. They\'re very helpful.

Ok, my Advanced Version should be arriving next week or so. Thanks for the suggestions. I think the all the material included with the Advanced will really help, since the lite version only comes with a book listing the sample groups. I will post samples once this project is done.

Go Back to forum