• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO, number of velocity layers?

Share/Bookmark

GPO, number of velocity layers?

Any one got any idea tthe number of velocity layers in a typical instrument? Also how do the solo instruments \"compare\" to the Dan Dean solo strings, woodwinds and brass? Thanks.

Re: GPO, number of velocity layers?

Aleatoric,

GPO is designed to use programming techniques in place of separate samples wherever possible – it’s one of the primary design goals. The number of sample layers depends on the instrument but most instruments are designed to work with just one layer and, strictly speaking, it’s not a “velocity” layer except in the case of percussive instruments. All changes normally derived from different layers of samples are supplied instead by various programming techniques to simulate volume, timbre, and attack changes, among other things.

Tom

Gary and Tom, I think you need to come up with a trademarked catch phrase for all the programming options you\'ve incorporated into GPO. Something both techy and musical to make it clear that GPO ain\'t your father\'s sampling library.

Medical and laundry and food and even Gasoline products are always coming up with some psuedo-scientific ingredient they tout that separates their product from the rest.

I mean, seriously, what IS Techron? Does anyone really know? But it sure sells a lotta gas.

Imagine, if you will that GPO uses Ambiosynthesis(TM) or some trademark (something much better, I\'d hope) that makes IT special. There are enough folks out there who would think, \"Hmmm, the other guys don\'t have Ambiosynthesis. I\'d better get GPO...\" [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Sure, the strings, brass and winds have a single velocity layer and use programmed expression layers. With GPO we often think of these instruments that can be modulated after the note has started.

But what of the percussion, harp, celeste and piano? The instruments that don\'t use the mod wheel and don\'t change after the note has been struck. Do these also use programming rather than multiple velocity layers?

I think the answer is probably \"yes\". And, if so, it was likely the right decision. It keeps the footprint small and avoids the velocity jumps that occur when there are too few layers. Libs that have tons of layers (when no trying to keep the footprint small) can sound pretty great though...

So a sample library like Dan Dean Woodwinds has different sample layers to simulate the changes that occur with an instrument when you play loud to soft and GPO does this threw programming with the mod wheel. Is that correct? What do you guys think sounds better Dan Deans Brass and Woodwinds or GPO\'s Brass ans Woodwinds?

I can\'t speak for Dan Dean\'s stuff, but at $400 or $500 a pop, they\'re pretty expensive compared to a full orchestra (which sounds great, by the way) for $249.

The whole idea of taking a trumpet trill sample and playing it with a single note-on event has always felt like cheating to me - there\'s also pitiful little that you can do with that kind of voicing in the context of a piece (there\'s a lot of variability in a trill that simply screams **SAMPLE** the second time a flat sample is used). To have a library that allows me to impart the level of musical control that *I* want is really wonderful. With GPO, you can do some amazing things with these solo instruments - and I think it represents a seminal step away from the mammoth sample libraries that have become all the rage.

I *still* think that Gary is charging too little for it, but I\'m glad I got in when the price was $249. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Originally posted by robgb:
    \"Hmmm, the other guys don\'t have Ambiosynthesis. I\'d better get GPO...\" [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hehehehe... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] You\'re too funny [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Originally posted by Houston Haynes:
    ...The whole idea of taking a trumpet trill sample and playing it with a single note-on event has always felt like cheating to me...
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Me too, in my Sunday Morning demo I enjoyed adding in the trill by programing it (mistakingly as a minor trill at first ).

The problem with a single note-on sample of a trill is that is not played in time-sync with the rest of your piece and it would sound machine-gun\'ish if used more than twice repeatedly...

This is also the reason I try not to use drum-loops... this too feels like \'cheating\'.

With GPO Gary and Tom are changing what people expect from an orchestral library, and forcing musicians to change their ideas about how performance gestures and the like are implemented.

Many musicians and composers are still under the influence of six years of Gigastudio domination.

There IS a better way folks, and GPO is it!

Go Back to forum