• Register
  • Help

Topic: GigaStudio lock ups and MIDI hiccups

Share/Bookmark

GigaStudio lock ups and MIDI hiccups

I\'m running Cakewalk 9 and GigaStudio96 on the same machine under Win98SE. I have a Delta 1010 card with the latest MME drivers.

I\'m running into 2 problems. First is my machine will lock up occasionally. I\'m pretty sure it\'s only when GigaStudio is running. Any tips on what to look for?

Secondly, I\'m experiencing several MIDI hiccups during playback of a MIDI drum track from Cakewalk. I also experience occasionally delays when playing a giga piano live from my keyboard so I\'m pretty sure this is either a GigaStudio problem or Delta driver problem. Any ideas on where to go to track this one down?

Thanks

Re: GigaStudio lock ups and MIDI hiccups

The easiest way to get away from these problems is to separate the two apps onto separate PCs.

These are the kinds of problems experienced by most people who try to run both on one PC, and they can\'t be avoided without lots of tweaking from what I\'ve read.

The first thing I\'d do is download a utility called GSFIX by Nenad Siskov.

It loosens Gigastudio\'s choke hold on the CPU a little and can improve timing on the sequencer.

The next major software upgrade for Gigastudio will include this facility.

Find it at:
    http://www.inet.hr/~nsiskov/

OK. I\'ve heard of that utility but forgot about it.

Yes, I plan on putting together a Gigarig later this year. Just saving up a few more dollars. I\'ll receive another 256MB of memory this week to get me to 512MB. When I get my gigarig going, I\'m just going to move the memory over to that machine.

Thanks

I installed GSFIX and it doesn\'t seem to make any difference at all. Am I doing something wrong?

I run GS, then run GSFIX and click on the smiley face at the top. It then says GS FIXED. Then I load my sounds, launch Cakewalk and go.

Still hiccups.

My MIDI interface is a Delta 1010. I have USB disabled on the MOBO (ASUS KT7).

I have a separate drive for OS, Audio & Giga files. All 7200 RPM drives.

I do want to get a separate machine but think there\'s more going on here. My machine occasionally locks up when just running GS by itself. Also, while playing piano with only GS open I\'ll occasionally get a hiccup type response to notes played.

Hi,

1) Make sure you are not using USB midi interfaces, they slow things down when used on the same machine as giga and a seqencer.

2) Try at least to have 2 hard drives on the computer, 1 for only *.gig\'s, the other for your apps.

3) If you are going to take things seruously, buy a another machine for your sequencing and treat giga as a stand alone midi instrument.

I was having all kinds of pauses, hiccups, etc, until I got fed up with it and bought another machine. Now, giga behaves 90% flawlessly and I can get back to being creative instead of being a computer tech trying to get things working.

I haven\'t used GSfix either yet, I just dumped the audio side of Logic because I didn\'t need it to record (but I really want the plugin synths...)

On Siskov\'s site he has the order to do the GSfix thing:

Either
    run GSFIX with option Auto Run=ON

or
    run GS
    run sequencer
    run GSFIX

MAybe you need to run Cakewalk BEFORE you run GSFIX.

Good luck

Actually, I just ended up doing a complete uninstall and reinstall of GS. I\'m using the original release and it\'s working great. No MIDI problems. I\'m going to upgrade to the latest version and see if it still holds up.

I\'ll still get an occasional lock-up exiting GS. But I think it only happens when I exit GS after exiting Cakewalk. If I close, GS first, it\'s cool.

Go Back to forum