• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: GPO Samples Question

Share/Bookmark

GPO Samples Question

Hi all [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I\'m new here (and an orchestral newbie), but as I just purchased GPO (in transit now) I figure I\'ll probably hang out here some in the future.

Have a question regarding the GPO samples...

The GPO FAQ states that the instrument programming can only be edited with Kontakt, but it says nothing about the raw samples which is a different matter.

However, I expect the raw samples themselves (.wav\'s or whatever format they might be) are fully accessable (or extractable) without (or with) Kontakt, right?

I\'d like to have 100% control over the samples and not have to be restricted to any one program (Kontakt or other) for editing, that\'s why I\'m asking.

Thank\'s in advance

Cheers [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Rodney

Re: GPO Samples Question

I think not. The GPO samples are delivered in NI\'s monolithic proprietary format, and are not editable outside of Kontakt, I believe.

Thoughts from others?

Thank\'s for the reply meanska. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Sounds pretty strange to me. Why would one not be allowed to access the raw samples? Surely, there must be some way to get around this?

Any further input on this matter would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Rodney

It can be seen as a form of copy protection. You have to not only have a copy of both GPO and Kontakt, but both must be registered with NI, which will distribute a machine specific key. (A number of us wonder what happens if one of the players goes out of business and you need to register again due to hardware changes.)

If you have the full version of Kontakt (1.5), a question is what would you need to do to a raw sample that you cannot do or immulate in Kontakt. I\'m not sure, but I think that you can edit the nki, save it under another name, and load it into the Kontakt Player, if you wish. (I\'m most in doubt about the latter.)

Originally posted by cunningham:

If you have the full version of Kontakt (1.5), a question is what would you need to do to a raw sample that you cannot do or immulate in Kontakt. I\'m not sure, but I think that you can edit the nki, save it under another name, and load it into the Kontakt Player, if you wish. (I\'m most in doubt about the latter.)
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">with kontakt you can arrange the samples as you like, but you are not allowed to edit or save individual samples.
    but you can create new nki and load into GPO as new instruments (but always using the samples in the monolith files, not \"new\" samples)

Thank\'s for your reply cunningham. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Well, if that is the case then I sure feel silly.

I just spent my last measly student bucks on GPO thinking that I could convert the samples and import them into Reason, not having to get Kontakt. GPO might be cheap, but it\'s still a lot of money to me, so buying Kontakt is not an option, not for a long time anyways.

But seriously, if I would buy Kontakt sometime in the future, it then would enable me to access and export the raw samples, right?

Also, if anyone \"official\" is reading this, your input on this matter would be great as well.

Gary?...anyone?

Cheers

Rodney

Originally posted by bosone:
    with kontakt you can arrange the samples as you like, but you are not allowed to edit or save individual samples.
    but you can create new nki and load into GPO as new instruments (but always using the samples in the monolith files, not \"new\" samples)
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Thank\'s for the input bosone. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Sorry, but are you absolutely 100% sure? Do you mean that even if I would buy Kontakt I wouldn\'t be able to access the raw samples? Sorry for asking so many questions, I guess I\'m in a bit of denial here...as it would completely ruin my plans. [img]graemlins/tounge_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Cheers

Rodney

If Reason would stop being an *** and support VST/DXI plug-ins this wouldn\'t be such an issue for you. Normally I like to mess with the raw samples to fix problems. However, from what I can hear GPO doesn\'t have these problems (the sort that arise from lazy/misinformed development and programming) so editing the raw samples would be a waste of time. Why fix what isn\'t broken?

You could always run Reason from a sequencer (using rewire) and also load up GPO and have it all synced. That would be better for orchestral parts anyway, since Reasons sequencer is extremely limited.

OK, let’s make it “official.” Opening the instruments in the full version of Kontakt gives complete access to the programming in GPO right down to such things in the samples as the start markers, loop points, micro-tuning, levels, panning, etc. but it doesn’t allow exporting the samples themselves. That is part of the copy protection.

GPO is designed as a self-contained orchestral sketch pad – a single solution that does not require (nor allow) the use of other sample platforms. It was never intended to be cross-platform compatible in any way. For one thing, none of the other sampler platforms (Giga, Halion, EXS, etc.) have the necessary features to make GPO work as designed – it would not be possible to do a successful, functional port due to the extremely specific and detailed Kontakt programming.

Tom

Thank\'s for your replies. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Originally posted by Kunio2:
    If Reason would stop being an *** and support VST/DXI plug-ins this wouldn\'t be such an issue for you. Normally I like to mess with the raw samples to fix problems. However, from what I can hear GPO doesn\'t have these problems (the sort that arise from lazy/misinformed development and programming) so editing the raw samples would be a waste of time. Why fix what isn\'t broken?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Yeah, but that argumentation works the exact opposite way as well doesn\'t it?: If GPO would have its raw samples accessable, then this wouldn\'t be such an issue for me.

Personally, I like to mess with the raw samples to achieve full control. It\'s not a question of fixing what isn\'t broken, it\'s a question of having the possibility to edit the sounds to suit ones \"personal\" needs.

I\'m happy for you if you feel that the GPO programming is \"perfect\" for you, but keep in mind that what is \"perfect\" for one person, might not be so for another. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Regardless, I always figured that the best thing is to have as much control as possible, including being able to choose the tool you want?

Besides, if you don\'t like Reason and find it limited, that\'s your right. However, it\'s also my right to like it, and even prefer it over other solutions at hand.

The keyword here is choise and having it.

Originally posted by Tom Hopkins:

OK, let’s make it “official.” Opening the instruments in the full version of Kontakt gives complete access to the programming in GPO right down to such things in the samples as the start markers, loop points, micro-tuning, levels, panning, etc. but it doesn’t allow exporting the samples themselves. That is part of the copy protection.

GPO is designed as a self-contained orchestral sketch pad – a single solution that does not require (nor allow) the use of other sample platforms. It was never intended to be cross-platform compatible in any way. For one thing, none of the other sampler platforms (Giga, Halion, EXS, etc.) have the necessary features to make GPO work as designed – it would not be possible to do a successful, functional port due to the extremely specific and detailed Kontakt programming.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Well, that sounds great, but once again it requires the full version of Kontakt and it completely limits me to use Kontakt and no other tool.

As far as the copy protection is concerned, it\'s come to my attention that GPO has been available as a cracked version for some time now. I say this only to point out that this form of copy protection hardly does much more but annoy the legitimate users.

GPO might be designed as a \"self-contained orchestral sketch pad\" and a single solution not \"requiring\" the use of other sample platforms, but this does not automatically mean that it has to prohibit the use of other sample platforms, does it?

I appreciate your input on the programming issues. I also must respect your opinion that as sucessful port to any other platform \"would not be possible\".

I fully agree, it is not possible...but only because one can\'t access the raw samples in GPO. Anyting is pretty much possible provided you are given the possibilities and not being too restricted. All I say is...maybe one should be careful not to underestimate the possibilities of a program, nor the ingenuity of a person?

To both of you and all...

I\'m happy for anyone who can go out and buy the full version of Kontakt on a whim, but being a student myself I can\'t.

GPO seemed a great tool to learn orchestration and for making music at a price affordable by most. It seemed to be have been designed as an affordable \"everymans\" tool.

But wouldn\'t it be even more usable to \"everyman\" if you could use the sample platform of your choise, and didn\'t need to buy an expensive sampler just to be able to edit it?

Don\'t get me wrong, I\'m very grateful to Gary for making this tool and for selling it at such a moderate price. GPO is great, I don\'t doubt that for a second. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

It\'s just that I bought it thinking I could use it and edit it in the platform of my choise, and planned my buy accordingly.

Now I\'m looking at having to buy Kontakt just to be able to basic editing of it. Even though considered cheap, GPO did suck me dry (moneywise) for quite some time to come, so buying Kontakt is not an option.

Maybe I might be a little misplaced among all the Pros here. Many of you guys buy libraries that easily exceed what I earn as a student in a year...and I\'m just a complete amateur. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Anyways, I really appreciate you taking your time to reply, and please don\'t think this isn\'t the case just because I throw some arguments back at you. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Oh, and sorry for the long text, guess I got a bit carried away. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Thank\'s to everyone here for you input and help...I really appreciate it a lot.

Thank\'s! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Cheers

Rodney

PS: It still wouldn\'t hurt to hear what Gary or some other official \"GPO Person\" has to say about this. Provided any of you guys have the time of course. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum