• Register
  • Help

Topic: My New Film Score Composed with GPO (Exclusively)

My New Film Score Composed with GPO (Exclusively)

Hey Guys and Gals,

I just finished my score for a horror film called The Psychic. It stars, believe it or not, Margott Kidder (Lois Lane from the Superman Movies with Christopher Reeves) and Tom Savini (Spy Kids, From Dusk till Dawn, FX guy for most of Hollywood\'s Horror films)

I wrote it using GPO exclusively. The entire score is on my website at http://www.jonnylostinc.com/6901/19028.html. Please check it out and let me know what you think.

I initially wanted to use solo strings for the ensembles, but I ran out of time, so I ended up using the Lush patches. The entire score is interesting, although, I think my favorite cue is 08. Joyce\'s Future and a Panic Attack.

The film is part of an antholgy horror tale called Death4Told filmed by Fear Makers Studio (www.fearmakers.com)

Please, if you have the time, sign my guestbook. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Re: My New Film Score Composed with GPO (Exclusively)

Well done! You know what you need? some bowed vibraphone and prepared piano samples. But seriously, EXCELLENT job of thematic development and scoring efficiency. It\'s like a John Williams score that inspires incontinence. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Hey Mr. Garritan - how about a film score orchestral effects add-on to GPO? That would scare the heck out of a BUNCH of people... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Orcas Island

Simply outstanding and marvelous. It is an honor for GPO to be used in such a way. Even though you mentioned it was wickedly fun, this still must have taken quite a while to write.

I listened to all 10 pieces of the score on your website (http://www.jonnylostinc.com/6901/19028.html) You did an amazing job with the music. I can\'t wait to see the film and how the music underscores those psychological traumas in the characters.

I appreciate the credit even though it made me blush a little.

Thanks for posting this.

Gary Garritan

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for the great comments.

Mr. Haynes, thanks for the comparison to John Williams. He happens to be my favorite composer, so I attmept to live in his shadow. Although, if I had to name an actual person who I tried to imulate with this score, I would have to say that Bernard Hermann was my model. I listened to many of his Twilight Zone scores before writing this because I felt that the film was created with the same kind of intimate feeling that the original series had. Also, I beleive Bernard Hermann would have used the vibraphone in this score, because it just happened to be one of his favorite instruments, so, good obeservation! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Mr. Garritan, thanks for the great comments and for a great product. Actually, I wrote the bulk of the score in about 3 solid days of work. It took a few hours after the fact to polish up a few things, missed velocities, inconsistancies, my timing, etc. I want to let you know that I plan to write my film scores with GPO and its add-ons exclusively from now on.

Eric, I bought GPO with the sole expectation of writing film scores. I was a little nervous at first because I wasn\'t sure I would be able to master the playing techniques and coordination with the sustain pedal, mod wheel and keys. After playing with it for a while, it became almost second nature.

Here\'s a funny little anecdote. I was actually looking at the MIDI information that I inputed in one section. I noticed that the sustain pedal info was present, causing the strings to change bowing direction. I had no recollection that I had actually done that. I began to pay more attention to what I was doing and sure enough, my foot was instinctively changing the bows direction. That\'s what is so cool and effective about GPO.

I wrote and recorded the score in Sonar 3 using GPO studio to handle the samples. For some reason, the plug-in version of GPO just doesn\'t feel right. It works the way it is supposed to, but I guess I just like to have the extra software running! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

In terms of mixing and processing, there wasn\'t really anything done to it. After, I recorded it to audio, I imported the wavs into soundforge to normalize them, but that\'s just about the extent of it. Basically, what you here, is my performances without any extra mixing. I would record and re-record and then re-re-record a spot till I got it right, but that\'s just my way of working.

So, I say once you get you copy of GPO, dive right in!!!

Once again thanks for the great comments and the fantastic atmosphere in this forum.

I think that this is incredible. Very inspiring to those of us wanting to do this very thing with our home studios. I\'m STILL waiting for my copy of GPO and this has made the wait that much more painful. Congrats on getting the gig in the first place and then doing an excellent job. Can you tell us a little about what you used beyond GPO as far as any procesing or did you have an engineer to help with mixing? Thanks for sharing.

Eric W

Your a talented composer, Jonny!

I consider myself something of an expert on \'Bernie\', and I must say you\'ve captured his style in way that doesn\'t sound \'ripped-off\'.

If you added vibes it would sound a lot like his score for \"Sisters\".

Great demo of GPO\'s capabilities! This should convince anyone wanting to know if GPO can be used for serious filmscoring.

Hi. Thanks for the feedback. You know, I thought about adding vibes, when I started, (they happen to be one of my favorite instruments) but decided against it. I didn\'t want them to clash with the celesta. They have almost the same quality timbre.

I really hope people realize what GPO can do.

Thanks for the compliment. I don\'t know if you checked my website out, but I do have a music concrete piece entitled \"Meet Bernie\" that you might enjoy. But seeing that you said that you are an expert on \"Bernie\", I bet you already saw that, so never mind!! :-)

good stuff from the things i heard. though i\'m far from being an expert i do hear the hermann influence.

i checked out that studio website. some really cool artwork. i watched the trailer - was this shot on DV or HD? these flicks look kinda cool.

nice job.

Oh, btw I forgot to mention how much I like your website design too. Really tastefull yet eye-catching.

I\'ll check out your \'concrete\' piece (I used to really be into musique concrete back in the day...)

Go Back to forum