• Register
  • Help

Topic: New brass demo(short)

New brass demo(short)

This is a 17th century hymn by Micheal Praetorius. I arranged it several years ago as a warm-up chorale for a medium sized brass group, and it was a no brainer to try in GPO. This is another GPO Studio, Sibelius rendition. I think I\'ve figured out a few tricks, but you be the judge!

If possible, try to download from the link that reads \"MP3\" to the right of the lo-fi, hi-fi links. Stay completely away from the lo-fi version, it\'s really bad. (mono)

Brass chorale, \"Es ist Ein Ros\'\"

Orcas Island

Re: New brass demo(short)

I like it! This is really good for being done in notation.

You mentioned you\'ve figured out a few tricks. I would sure like to know what they are.

Thanks for sharing this.

Gary Garritan

PS: Would you mind email me the mp3 for inclusion on the GPO site?

Email sent!

Thanks for the kind words. I tried to get the releases of notes to sound softer. They tend to \"whip\" releases in Sibelius. (like cracking a whip, not Cool Whip!)

So I added 2 32nd notes to the end of each note or phrase that needed a softer release, then I added incrementally reduced mod wheel text to each 32nd note. I didn\'t do this on every note, only ends of phrases.

I tried to add \"singing\" type musicality by changing the length of some notes. In stock form, all the notes are very connected(in notation), and the abrupt switching sounds very electronic. So I tried various things. I shortened the note by a 16th or 32nd, or I placed a tenudo mark over the note. I left some of the notes connected to give the phrase direction.

Instruments used:

3 horns
    2 trombones
    solo tuba 1(playes the Euphonium part)
    2 contrabass tubas(the 2nd is at a lower volume, and plays the low pedal notes)

Yay, Andy! One of my favorite chorales. Nice balance. Why not try using a real sequencer so you don\'t have to trouble with tricks. I haven\'t installed it, so I\'m not sure, but the included Cubase may ba able to import your MIDI file.

Go Back to forum