• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO+Mac G4+Cubase SX=Great So Far!

Share/Bookmark

GPO+Mac G4+Cubase SX=Great So Far!

Just wanted to send this message to any Cubase SX users who may be lurking around the Forum, trying to decide whether or not to get GPO (as I was for the last two weeks).

I\'m a pro Sound Designer/Musician, and my GPO arrived today. I opened it, read the installation instructions, installed it, and authorized it. I\'m running it on a 1GHz G4 15\" Titanium Powerbook with 1GHz of RAM, running OSX 10.3.2 (and using an external Edirol UA-5 USB audio interface).

I first tried GPO as a stand-alone application. Without even reading the rest of the manual (which I still plan to do), I was able to load instruments, play them on the on-screen keyboard, and play them with my MIDI keyboard, no problem at all.

Next I tried it in Cubase SX 1.0.6, as a VST intstrument. It loaded no problem. Once I configured/routed the signals correctly, GPO played just fine being controlled by Cubase SX. I experimented with MOD wheel information editing, multiple MIDI tracks, MIDI with audio tracks... and GPO seems to be working just fine, right out of the box.

GPO/Kontakt (as a VST plug-in) does fight a bit with my Cubase graphic user interface. It slows my Cubase display down significantly during playback, but that\'s no doubt due to the limits of my video RAM (not the GPO), and is easily fixed by closing the Kontakt display during playback (who needs to see dancing piano keys during playback anyways?!?). Oh, and even though it slowed the Cubase display tracking, it did not effect the sound in any way, even if I left the Kontakt display on during playback.

Now I\'ll admit that I haven\'t tried anything too intensive with GPO yet (as it\'s now 5AM, and I\'ve already stayed awake far too long over the excitement of experimenting with it!), but it seems to be working fine. I know a bug or two MAY arise as I put GPO through some major work over the upcoming weeks, but so far it\'s working exactly as it should... first day, first try. Even IF some problems pop up later on, the sounds I\'m hearing already (with no knowledge of key switching, or other advanced techniques-- YET) would definitely be worth it!!!

P.S. Gary, please don\'t give up on the Mac community. I know it\'s a pain to make things Mac compatible, but we Mac users are a very loyal bunch (to those companies who make great products for the Mac)! So far I\'m extremely pleased with GPO! Thank you!!

Re: GPO+Mac G4+Cubase SX=Great So Far!

I experimented with GPO in Cubase SX a bit more today. So far I can load 1 instance of GPO, and can load/play about 4 instruments simultaneously without problems. Guess I\'ll bounce those to audio tracks, and then load more. Can\'t upgrade my 1GHz of RAM any further (I\'m at the max for my powerbook), So I guess that will be it for me until I can afford a G5. Still, I\'m pretty happy, because the sounds are just incredible!

Tower,

Thanks for posting. You should be able to load more instruments. Try loading just the dry instruments and see if that helps. Also try adjusting your buffer settings. Give me a call or email me Monday and we\'ll try to get you some better performance.

Gary Garritan

Thank you so much for the response, Gary! LIKE SO MANY that post on Forums for any product, I didn\'t consider everything I should\'ve before I posted! I was assigning MIDI tracks in a pre-existing song of mine to the GPO... forgetting that I already had several tracks of MIDI, several tracks of 24bit audio, automated mixing, and several VST effects already going on in that song! By that point in my songs, I usually already have all of the VST instruments bounced to audio tracks, to lighten the load. I am now working on a song FROM SCRATCH, using just the GPO, and I\'m already on 8 instruments loaded and playing smoothly (with zero slow down of the visual interface, I might add), and I\'m going for more. The first instance of GPO is full now, so I\'m going for a second. Sorry to have jumped the gun. I thought I\'d pop back to the Forum to let people know, before I go back to the song.

Quick question... since I just recieved my GPO yesterday (from ProStudioMusic.com), can I safely assume that it arrived with the latest updates/upgrades for everything, or are there updates I should download? Thanks for the awesome support you provide on this forum!!

Originally posted by Tower:
    Quick question... since I just recieved my GPO yesterday (from ProStudioMusic.com), can I safely assume that it arrived with the latest updates/upgrades for everything, or are there updates I should download? Thanks for the awesome support you provide on this forum!!
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">The GPO Kontakt Player you have should be the latest. There are more recent Overture and GPO Studio updates that you should download for the Mac. Glad things are working better now. Let me know if there\'s anything else we can do to help.

Gary Garritan

Tower,
    can I ask you when you reached the limit of your CPU? Only with 4 instruments loaded?
    Can you do a test going on adding instruments and play them together ultil you reached your CPU limit. I did this test on my brother powerbook 1.25Ghz using a string quartet going on layering ens. instruments and I reached the limit with 17 instruments laying together and the GPO reveerber working but I didn\'t check if I reached also the RAM limit (512 MB).
    There is a big offer here at my campus for a powerbook 12 1GHz but I\'m wondering how many tracks it can manage.
    thanks
    Michael

Michael,
    On my 1GHz 15inch Titanium Powerbook with 1GHz of RAM, running GPO as a VST plug-in in Cubase SX 1.0.6, and using an Edirol UA-5 USB audio interface, I can acheive two instances of GPO, running a total of 10 - 13 instruments. Now remember that some of those instruments are \'sections\', playing samples of multiple instruments at once. Once I fill those slots, I digitally bounce them to audio tracks, and fill up another 10 - 12. Oh, and the sounds are AWESOME! It sounds even better than I\'d hoped. I had assumed that the people who post their music on the GPO site were probably MIDI sequencing gurus who used major advanced techniques to get the sounds they achieved. Fortunately, I was wrong. The GPO sounds great, right out of the box. I\'ve only had it a few days, and it has blown me away. I pulled out an old MIDI file of the original Star Trek theme, and ran the tracks to the GPO, just for fun (and as a test of the GPO). The result was just surprisingly good. I haven\'t been this excited about working on sequenced music in a long time.

thanks,
    I have GPO, I ordered it after a week it was announced. I have an ibook G3 and it\'s insufficient for GPO and I was thinking to buy a powerbook 12 because there is an interesting offer at the campus, but the performance is not sufficient.
    I will wait to see if apple puts put a new one more powerfull.
    thanks
    Michael

Yes... I am ready for a G5 now myself. Too bad I don\'t have an extra $3000 laying around! [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum