• Register
  • Help

Topic: My first contribution

My first contribution

Hi everyone

I\'ve been lurking on this forum for quite some time and since it\'s filled with some splendidly talented and knowledgeable people, I\'ve been reluctant to contribute. It took some courage!

I recently bought GPO and I am so grateful to Mr. Garritan for making it first of all affordable for hobbyists and relatively easy to use. I say relatively, because I am a complete novice in the use of programs such as Cubasis. In fact, it was the first time ever and it took me some time to figure out how to get anything from it and I am still learning. Sibelius is about the only music software I am familiar with. I’ve learnt an incredible amount from the people in this forum, so I say thank you to everyone.

Having said this, I would like to post my first attempt. It’s short composition of my own and yet, it took me some real effort, simply because everything about MIDI controllers and channels and all the rest of it, is completely new to me. It’s scored for flute, oboe, clarinet, bass clarinet, timps and strings. I suppose you could call it very conservative and nothing adventurous compared to some other demos I’ve listened to.
    web page

Thank you again for a great place to learn.

Louis Dekker

PS: I hope the link works, if it doesn\'t, then copy and paste.

Re: My first contribution

Sorry! That first link doesn\'t seem to work. The next one should take you to a page on my website, just click the link there.Hope that works!

Again, just copy and paste. I\'m not getting this link-thing right.

That was a very nice combination of instruments and a nice arrangement [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] and even more so for your first post. I was especially drawn to the flute and how well it fit in and sounded so natural.

I would say that you have learned well from your lessons just lurking around this forum. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Just keep up the good work and we hope to hear more from you in the future.

Amazing stuff Louis. Your composition is outstanding. I\'m sure you\'ll find success in whatever it is you embark on. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

The only critique I could muster is that sometimes it sounded quantized when a lot of the instruments played notes simultaneously. And, I didn\'t like the transition into the gong at the end. It sounded like you may have intended it to be an akward transition, but I kind of wanted to hear some reverb trails of the instruments that had just cut out. A purely creative difference. Again, great stuff.

Kauai, Hawaii, USA

Very nice, Louis. About the only observation I might make is that it sounds like you\'ve used all \"wet\" instruments which gets a bit -- well -- \"drippy\" by the time you aggregate them all. Not sure what your production technique is, but if you\'re using something like Cubase SX you could try going for the \"dry\" samples and adding a more \"unifying\" reverb to the final mixed 2-channel. (Just an idea.)

It will be some weeks before I dare to post my first GPO item here ... this crowd is serious talented!

kev [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Very good. For the realization via a scoring proggie you did a really good job. Looking forward to more stuff of you.....

Go Back to forum