• Register
  • Help

Topic: What were the reasons that GPO came with a Kontakt player and not Kompakt?

Share/Bookmark

What were the reasons that GPO came with a Kontakt player and not Kompakt?

Would be nice if someone could explain that to me. There must be some reasons which I don\'t see. For me it seems as the Kompakt player has more controling possibilities (dfd, adsr..). OK...the Kontakt player has these variation knobs which looked first promising to me but after trying em I must say that I could do without them. A good idea but no good result. The random detune variations sound like the musician is drunk and the random filter variations are hardly noticable.
    And Kompakt saves volume settings compared to the Kontakt player.

I really, really hope that it is not a part of the concept to release the library with a crappy Kontakt player in order to force the people to get the full version. But sure I am wrong with that thought...am I ? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Any opinions?

Re: What were the reasons that GPO came with a Kontakt player and not Kompakt?

I own Kontakt 1.2 and can tell you there is quite a bit of difference between Kompakt and Kontakt! That\'s why Kontakt costs over twice as much. It has programming options to add the distinctive expression (=realism) that make GPO possible.

Other libraries don\'t make use of these features and so they can \'get by\' with the less powerful Kompakt player. Both of these \'players\' contain ALL the programming of the full versions.

All the programming one might ever do has already been done for you in GPO. The programming is so deep and clever that you or I might never come across these possibilities on our own.

The bottom line: We don\'t need to raise the hood and poke around in the engine. GPO is SUPERBLY programmed and the samples perfectly optimized for the task at hand. Time would be much better spent learning GPO\'s way of doing things and then getting down to making MUSIC!

Originally posted by nexus:
    I own Kontakt 1.2 and can tell you there is quite a bit of difference between Kompakt and Kontakt! That\'s why Kontakt costs over twice as much. It has programming options to add the distinctive expression (=realism) that make GPO possible.

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Nope. As far as I see Kompakt does all of the keyswitching and modwheel stuff. You only can\'t edit it. BTW why don\'t you get the Kontakt 1.52 version? An too expensive update? Seems to have improved dfd options what I\'ve heard..

Originally posted by nexus:

The bottom line: We don\'t need to raise the hood and poke around in the engine. GPO is SUPERBLY programmed and the samples perfectly optimized for the task at hand. Time would be much better spent learning GPO\'s way of doing things and then getting down to making MUSIC!
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I am not poking around whatever it means. I am a paying custumer and trying to help to improve the product. The tenor what I\'ve heard up to now that everything is good and optimal and needs no improvements.....perhaps somewhen in the future. Pretty absurd. BTW: for you it is easy to speak...you have the full version of Kontakt.

Nevertheless GPO is great...not that you misunderstand me....but there are definitely some points that could be better organized.

OK? [img]graemlins/tounge_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Gigalove,

This seems to be my Gigalove night! The two Native Instrument players have different strengths and weaknesses. The Kontakt player provides all programming features available in Kontakt. The Kompakt player does not. The Kompakt player has a prettier face and more controls. The Kontakt player is simpler. The fact than we wanted access to ALL of the programming features for any present and future programming was the primary deciding factor. There were other reasons but they were secondary. We consider the Kontakt player to be the correct choice for our needs and it serves (most of) our users well. The “qualifier” in that last sentence is for you!

Tom

P.S. I’ve stated in other threads that VAR2 is not functioning in the present version of the player. That’s why you don’t hear a difference using it. When it is functioning it adds a powerful tool to the user’s arsenal – one that requires the Kontakt player to deliver. We hope NI fixes it soon.

P.P.S. Of course there is room for improvement in GPO (like everything else in this world) – suggestions are welcome. Hardly a day goes by that we don’t consider user’s suggestions. Some are incorporated, some aren’t. Keep ‘em coming.

Go Back to forum