• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Increased memory = slowdown ?!?

Share/Bookmark

Increased memory = slowdown ?!?

Hi,

I\'ve just upped my RAM from 1Gb to 1.5Gb [new matched exactly to my existing].

GPO works fine (and no memory warnings!) but it takes longer to start up (particularly Studio) and the instruments take way longer to load.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Re: Increased memory = slowdown ?!?

It\'s possible that this is either an OS issue or maybe more likely a hardware issue. Either way, if that\'s the case you\'ll probably find that any memory and/or CPU intensive software seems slower.

Motherboards can often have an issue with multiple RAM modules. Matching RAM manufacturers can minimize problems, but it\'s not necessarily enough. Using 3 RAM modules can sometimes be problematic depending on the motherboard - the bad motherboards may not boot (unless you happen to have *just* the one right brand of RAM, meaning that any number of reputable RAM brands may not work). The somewhat bad motherboards can run the RAM at reduced speed when three slots are filled. Some of the not-so-great motherboards can even have issues with filling two slots. Buying only brand name RAM will definitely minimize the problems, but depending on the motherboard, filling three slots can sometimes cause a huge amount of trouble.

I\'ll hope this helps. It\'s one possibility for the slow-down. As long as you didn\'t change anything at all other than adding RAM, I don\'t suspet the Kontakt software itself would do anything different. Perhaps you could try some other RAM and CPU intensive software to see if it behaves more slowly than before. A convolution reverb (SIR or acoustic mirror for example)with a long impulse is one good test - it\'s heavy on both RAM and CPU.

Mnay thanks for your replies.

Haydn, I will follow your suggestion to contact Gary.

Please report any news on this subject here. Im about to do the same, 1Gb -> 1.5Gb, and i don\'t want any trouble, ya\'hear!

Not recommend for user have only 512mb. In the registry editor go to :

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SYSTEM\\CurrentControlSet\\Con trol\\Session Manager\\Memory Management

The right of the window contain two keys named :

DisablePagingExecutive « you will have to put the value (1) »
    LargeSystemCache « you will have to put the value (0) »

Hope that help!

-Benny

There is a key in the registry that may have changed when you upped your memory. This has to do with memory paging. This can cause load times to take up to 10 times longer. Contact Gary to see if he can help you with the registry change.

Bernard\'s registry changes are not the same fix. The memory paging change for the Kontakt player is found under the NI key in a whole different section of the registry.

You can also make Bernard\'s change but this may affect programs that need to swap to virtual memory (mostly games). This will not resolve the slower loading in the GPO player though.

Beware, certain changes to the registry can make your system unbootable. If you don\'t feel comfortable making change, then wait for NI to post a file to make this change in the future.

I tried Bernard\'s solution and noticed no difference.

I also found the NI registry key for disabling paging and that was already set to 1.

For reference it is taking about 20 seconds for Studio to open, and about 2 minutes to load the full version of the dry Steinway. [Athlon 1800+, 1.5Gb RAM, WinXP Home]

I have emailed Garritan support but have yet to receive an answer - I am sure they have lots to deal with at the moment.

Richard,

You have the setting backwards. It should be 0.

Haydn,

Thank you so much.

I have changed the NI setting, and Studio now loads in about 5 seconds and the full dry Steinway loads in about 17 seconds.

Go Back to forum