• Register
  • Help

Topic: Just some music

Just some music

It\'s a... kinda melancholic piece. Don\'t hold your breath - I\'m just a hobbyist, but hopefully you will enjoy my music at least half as much as I enjoyed writing it.
    This file was not EQued, compressed or treated in any special way, all you hear is GPO and Ambience reverb being played right out of the box.

Oh, and thank you Gary for this wonderful library!

Re: Just some music

I absolutely love this. It fits my dark depressing additude wonderfully. Great job. I love the mix. I don\'t know what to say, I don\'t think any improvements are needed.

Thanks for this splendid piece. It is such a nice showcasing for many of the GPO instruments. Don’t you just love the harps? The fact that one can do such beautiful music without having to let the mechanics of production get in the way is just awesome. It makes such a great tribute to Gary, Tom and everyone else that pulled this magic off.

Orcas Island

Yes, this is melancholic but magical. Although you wrote \"Don\'t hold your breath\" I just had to hold mine and found myself getting lost in it.

What sequencer did you use? Hope you don\'t mind if I post this on the GPO demo page.

Thanks for posting this.

Gary Garritan

As one \'hobbyist\' to another, let me tell you there is nothing \'amatuer\' about your piece. VERY nicely done!

Very nice piece George, well done.

Thank you all for the kind words. Yes, I love the harps, I love the celesta, I love the woodwinds, I love...GPO [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    And I really, really love the modwheel control!

Gary, I\'m very happy that you like the piece, seeing it posted on your demo page will make me even happier [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    The sequencer was Sonar 2.2 with VST wrapper and GPO was rock stable under win98SE. I had to bounce twice (512MB RAM, approximately 350MB free after boot up, CPU Athlon 1.33GHz) but I got the feeling that the RAM could bear more than the CPU. Although complaining, Kontakt player kept loading samples and remained stable, while during playback the CPU was hitting nearly full load. I\'m not saying that it would have been possible to load up all the instruments at once, but I loaded five strings sections, some flutes, four solo strings, a lite harp, tubular bells and Ambience temporarily set to 20% and everything besides the CPU was fine.
    I once forgot the reverb quality set to 100% and my poor Athlon nearly evaporated [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

What a great piece! I love the flow, especially in the beginning. It\'ll be nice to see this on the Garritan Demos page, especially because I know you have limited bandwidth.

How long did it take you to compose this?

Originally posted by Alan Lastufka:
    How long did it take you to compose this?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">It was about five evenings, I guess. Perhaps 25 hours of recording/editing. Few times I deleted the previous work and started again because I just learned something new. Glad you like the beginning, that\'s the part I reworked at least four times. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Very Very nice.

It reminds me alot of Danny Elfman\'s score to Edward Scissorhands. Well, done, indeed.

Go Back to forum