• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Gary, OSX /NI /GPO customers better read this!!

Gary, OSX /NI /GPO customers better read this!!

Gary and whomever else,

Well I was about to go into that good night of acceptance about all things NI but stuff just keeps coming up. I find myself compelled to post this link. NI may be trying hard, but trying hard to do what.....?

It is impossible to get any kind of straight answer from NI on the OSX debacle. I know, I\'ve tried. So have quite a few other people. NI has now deleted two threads that I personally know of. Both of those threads were attempts to get an answer from NI regarding their miserable performance on OSX. In fact, in one of those threads an employee of NI is quoted in an email as saying, and I paraphrase.....\"get over it and get yourself a PC\" One day later that thread was deleted but I bet I can find a link from the guy who originally had the exchange. Apparently he was used to the way NI does things and had recorded the conversation for posterity.

Well that\'s all preamble. This link goes a long way to telling the story of how NI is coding their products for OSX.

PS, Sorry Gary, this has got to be more bad news for you and I know you are trying to do the right thing. But we\'re all in this together.

Re: Gary, OSX /NI /GPO customers better read this!!

I hate to break this to you, but to some of us long-time Mac and Native Instruments\' users this is no news at all. Even though we have heard over the years that many NI people actually use Macs at work, all their software is first and foremost written for PCs (ever look at their manuals? Most of the images are from Windows). End of story. NI probably spend a lot more time working on making their software work on Macs than they would like, based on the number of PC vs Mac users. I wonder if they would do any Mac stuff at all if it wasn\'t for all the respected electronica artists who use Titaniums.

As a Mac user, I\'m happy that you\'re fighting the good fight. I just wouldn\'t want you to have too many illusions.

Orcas Island

esteso, ned,

Interesting link.

What do you suggest be done?

Originally posted by Garritan:

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Gary,

I\'m following some of these threads because I am considering getting GPO myself. Eventually I will probably get GOS also...not in the budget right now unfortunately.

I\'m not sure what the right answer is, because at present there are really only two options...Kontakt and Giga. the kontakt player is clearly the more economical choice for many people (easier too). But I must concur that NI needs to get their act together. There is a bug with kontakt and logic under OSX also...screws up the GUI..makes everything offset from the mouse clicks..

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Get over it and buy a PC...

Sorry. I couldn\'t resist. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I feel for your guys. It\'s a shame something can\'t be done.

I noticed that the Vienna Synphonic Library is developed for Giga and EXSP. I know that GPO is highly programmed and it\'s not possible to \"duplicate\" the programming for another palyer, but if the new products you are developing are less \"programmed\" I would check the possibility of using EXSP.
    EXSP is certanly well developed for mac and if the conversion is not so bad, ... You are collaborating with them so probably you can have a feedback on the problems the compatibility and so on.
    Just an idea.
    I will suggest to talk to NI and try to be as clear as you can on the mac developing part, so mac users who buy your products will know what will be the problems, the performance and the develops for their platform.

Sorry, I noticed that my idea are not so well expressed, what I mean is try to talk to Vienna Synphonic Libbrary developers to understand problems on porting files on EXSP.
    I think it should be better than talk to emagic because you could have a better view of the problems, incompatibilities and so on.

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">In two words: be patient.

I use quite a few Native Inst products, like Absynth (first dev on Mac so it had a lead!), Reaktor, B4, Vokator, Pro53. Most had some bugs when they were first introduced as Audio Units in OS X. People complained, time passed, and eventually, things worked out. better versions were released. Like I said, their first priority is PC stability, but it doesn\'t mean that they don\'t care and won\'t perfect the OS X version of their software. You just have to be patient... or switch. From my 41 years, another 3-6 months wait is no big deal. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Esteso, you are a great writer [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I enjoyed this very much. It\'s not the first time I\'ve read one of those discussions with companies. Try K-V-R [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    All those \'evil\' things they wrote to you.. It must be for one of the two reasons.
    1. You put your toe where they didn\'t want anyone to put it.
    2. The first moderator was ignorant, making the thread getting a little \'violent\'. The other moderators senced this violence and therefore they dind\'t take you seriously.
    If bduffy just would have asked anyone at NI about how it really was and answered that to you, i guess none of this would have happened.

But remember this. This happens everywhere. If you were in this forum, even before GPO was released, you saw all the questions about how many samples were used etc. Now, in the end when we all have GPO we realize that it doesn\'t matter. If it sounds great it is great. But with that i don\'t mean that those questions are not important. I can feal though, if the developer has done something that the user might find suspicious .. Lets say they used one sample for the viola solo and the rest was done with filtering etc, people would perhaps not have bought it (or at least preordered).
    So.. What i want to say is, you really did the right thing to fight that fight. But in the end, some of those fights weren\'t necesery. In this case - NI could have told you what you asked for.

Sir Crackbaby (yes, its Sir now [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] )

Good question

I\'m really not sure what can be done at this point. Let me think on it a bit.

Old news, new news......news is news and it was news to me and I\'m betting it\'s news to some of the good folks over here. NI being based on Pcs is not news. What is news is that it still doesn\'t work for a lot of us. (I know it works for you, but I\'m thinking it\'s your G5) At any rate I still get GUI anomalies and a nasty digital stuttering every 5 minutes or so with Kontakt 1.52. The stuttering is new. NI can\'t seem to get it right. My money is on \'they can\'t get it right \'cause they\'re using a wrapper\' theory.

Here\'s some more reading for the stout of heart.

http://www.osxaudio.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5312&postdays=0&postorder=asc&star t=0
    http://www.osxaudio.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5321&postdays=0&postorder=asc&star t=0

Go Back to forum