• Register
  • Help

Topic: Ways to speed up work flow in GPO

Share/Bookmark

Ways to speed up work flow in GPO

I thought it might be nice to post a few ways to speed up work flow in our GPO set ups. And also post ideas for things GPO could implement to let us speed up the work flow.

So here\'s my first 2 suggestions:

1) Building an Ensemble when you don\'t have the time:

It\'s no secret the real gem part of GPO is the ability to build up a section from scratch, with Differen start times etc. But what happens when you\'re in a hurry and don\'t have time to play 15 tracks of String parts? Here\'s what I\'ve done:

* Play in the section strings like you normally would
    * Then copy that same track to 3 more tracks, 1 for each solo string on that part
    * In Logic I offset the start times of the 3 new tracks - one starts just ahead of the section track 10-20 ticks, one starts behind the section track 10-20 ticks, and one splits the difference. If I want the track to feel rushed I\'llput it slightly ahead, if I want it to drag a tad i\'ll pull it behind, and if I want it tight, I\'ll match the 3rd track to the section track.

* Do this for each of your section strings and you have a hybrid. Sure it\'s better to play each part separately, but if you don\'t have time this is a better option then just using the section strings or Lush patch.

* Then mix it as usual.

(Hopefully soon I\'ll have a chance to post examples of each method for you to hear)

2) Quicker setup time:

Some have said you should set up different template songs and just load them, but sometimes you just don\'t know what you\'re getting into at the start. I use both Kontakt and the Kontakt player because I want to take advantage of the different pedal implementations (sustain etc.) If you set it for Legato in one instance, it stays that way for each instance. So I play the strings in legato Mode from GPO player and use the regular full blown kontakt for other sounds that need a sustain pedal, like piano.

With that said - I often will start a track (usually pop) with no intention of using any orchestra. Then I decide to add strings. I have to go through and set up each instance like I want, loading each part. I would like to set up a multi and be able to load that. I can do this in full blown kontakt but not GPO. It would be nice if GPO would at least allow us to use multi\'s and other patches set up in Kontakt. This way we could still get the benifit of multiple pedal assignments. Wouldn\'t require changing GPO to an editor, just make it read any .nki file that\'s in the GPO folder. Wouldn\'t this be possible?

Well that\'s all my thoughts for now. Anybody else?

J-

Re: Ways to speed up work flow in GPO

Update to my former post:

Actually situation 2 IS a reality. I didn\'t realize it. I had to restart logic before the new Multi\'s showed up in GPO. So:

2nd way to speed up work flow is to set up your favorite sections in Full blown kontakt but then load them into GPO so you don\'t have to spend a ton of time setting up the same files [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

J-

Great thread J,

Actually I tend to work like method 1 more often than not, just getting the basic ideas edited in and then going back and listening for spots that don\'t ring true and trying to make them sound more \'real\'.

One point I would add is , after you make your track copies, go in and apply expression/volume control ( and possibly velocity edits ) to each track independently.

The approach I take on the sustain/legato issue is to reprogram the patches to use a different CC# for legato. This way I can mix and match in whichever playback engine I choose. The down side is that I have to either sit down and do this for the entire orchestra (not yet) or edit each instrument the first time I use it. ( OK, so I\'m not speeding up your workflow am I? [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] )

Also, I guess I\'m screwed if Gary releases a new update with all new patches. A nice tool to have would be something that would do this sort of thing in batch mode. ( \'Course it would be nice if NI allowed you to program this on a per-patch basis. )

Cheers -

Originally posted by Layne:
    Great thread J,
    Also, I guess I\'m screwed if Gary releases a new update with all new patches. A nice tool to have would be something that would do this sort of thing in batch mode. ( \'Course it would be nice if NI allowed you to program this on a per-patch basis. )

Cheers -
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">This is where cakewalk users are lucky..because it has CAL for this kind of batch processing. I wish more DAW\'s and sequencers had better midi plugin support or this type of macro capabilities. Maybe someday.

Interesting ideas Layne. I agree it would be great if we could simply set globally what certain aspects would respond to CC wise. It would help those who want to program for Wind controllers too.

A couple questions. What do you switch legato to if you don\'t use the sustain?

Also, good point on replaying controller data. Only problem is (at least in Logic) that the old data would still exist and you get jumps and skips in your CC data. Plus if you take the time to play through and do an expression track, why not take 2 more minutes and play it all? I can usually play it on the first run through and do notes and expression at the same time. My first example of copying tracks is basically for those who don\'t have time to spend on the other parts. For musician\'s who can\'t play keyboard as well, it may be the most realistic way to actually layer the ENS patches together. By replaying the expression you\'re ALMOST peforming a different part..... Good thought [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Any more ideas folks?

J-

[QUOTE]Originally posted by J. Whaley:
    Interesting ideas Layne. I agree it would be great if we could simply set globally what certain aspects would respond to CC wise. It would help those who want to program for Wind controllers too.

A couple questions. What do you switch legato to if you don\'t use the sustain?

I change mine to CC# 71 but that\'s pretty arbitrary ( Why 71 you ask? - Because my main controller used to be an Ensoniq ASR-10 which has two dedicated buttons for this sort of thing that, in different combinations, will transmit CC 71-74 - so I just got into the habit, even though the buttons on my Edirol can be assigned any which way. ). Anyway, any unassigned controller will do.

Also, good point on replaying controller data. Only problem is (at least in Logic) that the old data would still exist and you get jumps and skips in your CC data. Plus if you take the time to play through and do an expression track, why not take 2 more minutes and play it all?

Just different strokes here, I guess. I almost never record contoller movements and notes at the same time - so the CC data wouldn\'t be there in the first pass. I will either go back and draw them in by hand or record the controller on a second play through. Also, if need be I can just erase the CC data and start over.

Or, in the above example, I might play the first track and then overlay the controller view and draw in the second and third, following the curve of the original but slightly altering them. (This is something that Sonar facilitates, I don\'t know if Logic will let you do something similar). Anyway, it\'s a fairly quick process and
    for me at least, the results are usually better.

Go Back to forum