I thought it might be nice to post a few ways to speed up work flow in our GPO set ups. And also post ideas for things GPO could implement to let us speed up the work flow.
So here\'s my first 2 suggestions:
1) Building an Ensemble when you don\'t have the time:
It\'s no secret the real gem part of GPO is the ability to build up a section from scratch, with Differen start times etc. But what happens when you\'re in a hurry and don\'t have time to play 15 tracks of String parts? Here\'s what I\'ve done:
* Play in the section strings like you normally would
* Then copy that same track to 3 more tracks, 1 for each solo string on that part
* In Logic I offset the start times of the 3 new tracks - one starts just ahead of the section track 10-20 ticks, one starts behind the section track 10-20 ticks, and one splits the difference. If I want the track to feel rushed I\'llput it slightly ahead, if I want it to drag a tad i\'ll pull it behind, and if I want it tight, I\'ll match the 3rd track to the section track.
* Do this for each of your section strings and you have a hybrid. Sure it\'s better to play each part separately, but if you don\'t have time this is a better option then just using the section strings or Lush patch.
* Then mix it as usual.
(Hopefully soon I\'ll have a chance to post examples of each method for you to hear)
2) Quicker setup time:
Some have said you should set up different template songs and just load them, but sometimes you just don\'t know what you\'re getting into at the start. I use both Kontakt and the Kontakt player because I want to take advantage of the different pedal implementations (sustain etc.) If you set it for Legato in one instance, it stays that way for each instance. So I play the strings in legato Mode from GPO player and use the regular full blown kontakt for other sounds that need a sustain pedal, like piano.
With that said - I often will start a track (usually pop) with no intention of using any orchestra. Then I decide to add strings. I have to go through and set up each instance like I want, loading each part. I would like to set up a multi and be able to load that. I can do this in full blown kontakt but not GPO. It would be nice if GPO would at least allow us to use multi\'s and other patches set up in Kontakt. This way we could still get the benifit of multiple pedal assignments. Wouldn\'t require changing GPO to an editor, just make it read any .nki file that\'s in the GPO folder. Wouldn\'t this be possible?
Well that\'s all my thoughts for now. Anybody else?