• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GOS and Kontakt

Share/Bookmark

GOS and Kontakt

Please forgive if this is a well-worn topic...

Is there any news on the GOS-Kontakt version? Or does anyone have any good/bad experiences of converting the library (I use Translator) - and if so does that prevent you from using the additional MIDI performance tools?

On the whole NI Mac/PC issue, I use it on both and duck the controversy by system-linking from V-Stack on my PC into Cubase on my Powerbook for heavy work.

Thanks all!

Andy

Re: GOS and Kontakt

There is no conversion - only loading up in the full version and running with it. I currently have 1.5.2 running DFD 1.2.9 with five full instances of Kontakt for Woodwinds, Brass, Percussion, Keyboards, and Strings from GPO - all on one machine (PC running Nuendo). It\'s VSTLinked to a secondary PC running Scarbee J-Slap-n-Fingered in HALion, Groove Agent, multiple instances of Virtual Guitarist, Arturia\'s minimoogV and Xphraze for digital textures. Life is good. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Today I\'m starting with some experiments into streaming and such with a \"full GPO orchestra\" loaded in Kontakt. As soon as I have some numbers to report, I\'ll be sure to share. So far, the memory footprint for GPO with Kontakt/DFD is around 600MB, but I have yet to see if the low buffer settings in the DFD control panel will stand up under heavy streaming.

Sounds like a v.cool setup. GPO is definitely a contender on my shopping list, but I\'d still love to hear from any GOS users running Kontakt - I\'m still not sure (as a string player) whether GPO strings will have enough articulations for me.

Andy

Originally posted by Houston Haynes:

Today I\'m starting with some experiments into streaming and such with a \"full GPO orchestra\" loaded in Kontakt. As soon as I have some numbers to report, I\'ll be sure to share. So far, the memory footprint for GPO with Kontakt/DFD is around 600MB, but I have yet to see if the low buffer settings in the DFD control panel will stand up under heavy streaming.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I really want to hear those results. If it takes 600MB to load GPO with DFD, that isn\'t that much of a memory savings as I would have thought. Is that the complete library including the piano or what? How much memory is taken up with DFD off? Anyway, let us know the results. Unfortunately my P4PE is expensive to upgrade past 1GB so ram is a bit of an issue for me.

Originally posted by audiopHoBic:
    Sounds like a v.cool setup. GPO is definitely a contender on my shopping list, but I\'d still love to hear from any GOS users running Kontakt - I\'m still not sure (as a string player) whether GPO strings will have enough articulations for me.

Andy
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I don\'t know whether Gary is going to release GOS in kontakt format or not.. But I do know that Chickensys supposedly translates to Kontakt and he worked hard on doing it right. The author of chicken sys knows Gary well and is on this forum all the time. Talk to him about it and check it out.

I was just checking out the how well GOS converted in Kontakt 1.5.2. The improved conversion did quite well. You do lose the legato strings capability though and some other things that Maestro Tools did. It may be possible to use Maestro Tools with it but haven\'t tested it yet. I have not had a chance to try using the legato feature in Kontakt although this is a tricky and time consuming thing as you have to set the point in the waveform for each note and layer where you want the legato note to start.

The GPO strings are a great starting point and the items that imported well in Kontakt are many of the articulations missing like col legno, harmonics, etc.

A 24 bit Kontakt version of GOS is being developed at this time and it was previewed at NAMM in January. Not sure when a release date will occur though.

Originally posted by audiopHoBic:

Andy
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">DOH! I should have read closer. I\'ve read that GOS will convert fairly well into Kontakt with 1.5.2, but you\'ll have some tweaking left to do afterward, particlularly with the releases. I\'ve invested the time to convert and tweak in HALion 2(.0.2), and will not do it again for Kontakt.

I understand that GOS2 is on the horizon, and one of the first formats its scheduled for distribution on is Kontakt. So, you might want to ask Gary for more information on that. The number of articulations in GOS is staggering -- GOS2 is proported by Garritan himself to be a much more extensive library from a new set of samples.

Here are the instruments in my \"Descendant Orchestra\", which I created more or less in the fashion of how it would be listed on a score. Note the inclusion of solo instruments, as opposed to the \"ensemble\" instruments. I decided to go whole-hog with the voicing to see how it holds up in that scenario. This is a 5-minute film demo reel, so I think I\'ll spend as much or more time with the overlays as opposed to breaking things out with multiple solos.

I had given a lot of thought to using GOS within HALion for the String section -- and I still might ultimately go there at some point. The articulations and wonderful effects in GOS will probably make it too tempting, as the cue is for a suspense thriller, and nothing beats full string Panderecki glissandi and Bartok pizzicati. But, I didn\'t want to get into setting up Maestro Tools at the outset for legato and alternating short bows, especially since GPO does a great job with that out of the box.

Anyway, here is the listing for each instance as it stands now in Kontakt. Check the instrument listing to see all of the instruments that have been loaded. I\'ll probably load up some of the G-Town samples for additional effects (such as their amazing \"Wood Sticks\" and \"Darbuka\". Some of G-Towns other things may make their way into Kontakt, which should add some palpable results to Giga-to-Kontakt conversion for 1.5.2.

I asked abut GOS2 and the solo library but it seems they are still \"top secrent\" and the release date unknown
    Michael

Originally posted by crr:
    I asked abut GOS2 and the solo library but it seems they are still \"top secrent\" and the release date unknown
    Michael
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I think Gary has mentioned some things about GOS 2 here in the forum, but I\'ve not looked for them specifically. Everything that\'s known about GOS 2 has been released in this forum, so I\'d suggest a search if you\'re interested in getting as much as is available.

Go Back to forum