• Register
  • Help

Topic: Pipe Organ Samples & the Mod Wheel

Share/Bookmark

Pipe Organ Samples & the Mod Wheel

Gary,

You might consider, when/if you get around to adding more Pipe Organ Samples to the GPO Library, using the Mod Wheel as a Swell Pedal. For those organs with pipes under expression, using the Mod Wheel to emulate the opening and closing of the Swell Shades seems a perfect fit.

Re: Pipe Organ Samples & the Mod Wheel

Originally posted by G Rudolph:
    ... using the Mod Wheel as a Swell Pedal. For those organs with pipes under expression, using the Mod Wheel to emulate the opening and closing of the Swell Shades seems a perfect fit.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Glenn,

The Mod Wheel does control the volume of the GPO Pipe Organ. There is a misprint in the manual pg. 23 that erroneously lists the \"Vel (vol)\" as a control for the Pipe Organ, but it is \"MW\".

Were you just referring to this misprint? I just finished trying out Mod Wheel on all the Pipe Organ instruments and the volume control seems to my ear to work quite well.

As for new stops, I wonder if you can use all the non-organ instruments to create your own organ stops? What comes to mind is in Ravel\'s Bolero where for years I thought Ravel had written for a small organ with strong upper partials--the section with two piccolos playing the melody softly in \"different\" keys. Can you do something similar and balance a variety of GPO winds to achieve a \"Virtual\" organ stop in your own music? And given the functionality of the Kontakt Player you can elide instruments to get the big range associated with organ stops.

As I\'ve said before, I look forward to hearing your GPO instrumental creations! You\'ve got some major talent. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Re: Pipe Organ Samples & the Mod Wheel

Adam,

Thanks for your comments.

Actually, in addition to the swell shades reducing volume, there\'s also a low pass filtering effect that goes on. It\'s hard to describe, but one could draw the analogy of full stops being played behind closed swell shades to that of someone screaming behind a closed door. The sound is softer, but you can still tell they\'re screaming. Then as you open the shades (or door) the sound not only gets louder, but the timbre brightens, as well.

I might be able to simulate this with a LP filter, once I work with the midi file in Sonar, but I\'d rather leave it to the pros and have them sample the sounds with swell shades closed, 25% open, 50% open 75% open, 100% open, so that the volume and timbre changes match exactly at each point.

I\'ll be posting an Organ Postlude soon. It\'s finished in Finale, I just have to go through the process of exporting to midi, etc., etc...it really sounds quite authentic.

Go Back to forum