• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Rite of Spring demo - midi/source files and info

Share/Bookmark

Rite of Spring demo - midi/source files and info

As a follow up to the Rite of Spring thread, here are a few resources I thought people would like to see. I\'m offering them up to the community, because I love the free exchange of ideas people seem to have here. I hope you can learn something useful from them.

This is a slightly different mp3 file than the previously posted one. I made a few very minor changes. The MIDI file won\'t sound like much by itself. I uploaded it so people can take a look at the use of the controller data for GPO.

The Files

Info text file (Instrumentation, plug-ins, mastering)
    MIDI file
    Sonar 3PE file
    mp3 file (3MB)

I\'d be happy to answer any questions regarding this project.

Re: Rite of Spring demo - midi/source files and info

Hi Skysaw -- This is sooo great. I only got a quick look at the MIDI and already found several surprises... this one will require some careful study -- its going to be my Sunday morning fun. You made my weekend! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] thanks again!

Jamie,

This is most generous and kind hearted of you. We\'re all going to I learn from these files that you provided.

I hope this marks the start of sharing midi and song files so that we can learn from each other. I\'m busy working on the new demo pages that will include various audio, sequencer song files, notation files and GPO Studio files.

Thank you very much for posting these.

Gary Garritan

Skysaw, this is a great do-it-yourself tutorial! Understanding GPO is not easy, especially if you\'re used to the \'traditional\' way of doing things (CC7/CC11/CC1 for LFO and whatever the source instruments/samples provide.)

Thank you grratly.

Dasher

Skysaw -

Are you happy about copyright? Stravinsky died in 1971, and I think we need more than 33 years after a death before we can publish stuff around.

Go carefully, please - wouldn\'t want you locked up!

Thank you so much for the midi file and especially the Sonar file! (and other materials).

I hope to hear you do the remainder of this great work in GPO (though I know thats a tall order. The orchestration gets pretty hairy after the intro!).

Regarding the copyright issue, \"The Rite of Spring\" was written in 1913 (I\'m pretty sure). Copyright law has changed several times since then, so determining what is Public Domain and what isn\'t can be an involved process. But it\'s been explained to me that anything published before 1923 is now Public Domain. So I think we\'re safe.

Danpowers -

What about the 1947 Revised Edition? I use that, perhaps others do?

Well we\'re certainly in a grey area here. Stravinsky revised the score specifically to regain copyright, though the modifications were minimal, and much of it was notational, which wouldn\'t matter in a MIDI file.

I have both the original and revised scores in my possession, and admittedly have used both here. I\'m not sure if there are any differences at all in the opening, but I will check. If I have any revised version-specific data in there, I will change it to the original version.

Hey guys

I hope this will shed some light on the issue of copyright, as it pertains to Rite of Spring [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

First, according David Sonnenschein in Sound Design, Stravinsky\'s Rite of Spring \"created such a critical uproar in its 1907 premier...\" So, I guess that means it came out in 1907 [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Now, turning to Complete Guide to Film Scoring, by Richard Davis, we have:

\"The Copyright Act of 1909 set the length of the original copyright at twenty-eight years with a copyright renewal making the potential life of the copyright protection fifty-six years. After that fifty-six-year period, the work would enter the public domain (become PD).\"

So this piece, assuming it was released in 1907, should have already entered the public domain [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] .

Nowadays, the length of copyright protection is life (the creator\'s life) plus seventy years (why did they choose 70??).

Hope that helped!

- Junkman

Go Back to forum