• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: The bottom line -- GPO, an orchestral program for two fifty and change

Share/Bookmark

The bottom line -- GPO, an orchestral program for two fifty and change

I\'m guessing Gary won\'t mind my talking out of school on this.

I sent him an email a week ago or so and said, \"Do you realize if you had created GPO in Giga and Akai formats -- and nothing more -- you\'d be finished with your work by now and hailed as a hero?\"

He wrote back. \"You know, sometines I think the same thing. Usually every night before I go to sleep.\"

Thing is, I don\'t believe anybody really blames Garritan for any of the glitches we\'ve had to incur. Hey, he messed up. He trusted software developers. As we all have.

Look. I\'ve got a full orchestral program called GPO for way, way less than I\'d pay anywhere else. And a real one, not that SampleCell jive.

Besides, I use Pro Tools. Sure, I can only get three or four sounds at once on GPO. But that\'s pretty much what I\'m used to -- it\'s the same scenario on Unity, SampleCell and any other softsynth I\'ve tried.

What can I say? I\'m a Pro Tools guy, an audio guy. Give me one good track, I\'ll print it to audio and then move on.

I should probably post a demo soon from the pop-rock-Americana point of view.

Mike Jasper

Re: The bottom line -- GPO, an orchestral program for two fifty and change

I would *love* to hear a demo of pop-rock stuff using GPO. Just through I\'d throw that in there. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Originally posted by deceptivesound:
    I\'m guessing Gary won\'t mind my talking out of school on this.

I sent him an email a week ago or so and said, \"Do you realize if you had created GPO in Giga and Akai formats -- and nothing more -- you\'d be finished with your work by now and hailed as a hero?\"

Mike Jasper
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I\'m always confused by this attitude. At what price point should one feel something should be glitch-free.

Is 250 dollars worth 5 bugs, 10 bugs, 15 bugs? Would 500 dollars only allow an acceptability of say, two or three bugs?

When you pay over a thousand dollars for software, should there be NO bugs what so ever?

When one buys a tv set, one expects it to work. Regardless of price. No one ever says \"it can\'t get any channels above 25, the picture sometimes drops out and on certain days, I have to turn it on and off a few times to get it working\". Oh well, I only paid 200 bucks for the thing; I could\'ve paid 2000 for that slick flat screen.

Only in the software world do we put up with products that partly work and the myriad of excuses that go along with that.

What really gets me about this stuff is software developers who put compatibility info on their retail boxes that either hasn\'t been tested properly (or at all), or, just plain doesn\'t work. To me, this is just old fashioned hucksterism.

Digidesign does it right. At their website, they \"sanction\" combinations they know work and they offer caveats to those that \"should\" work ( if I had a buck for every time someone\'s said to me \"it should work\", I\'d be a millionaire).

Anyway, GPO is a good product and it seems to be working better with the updates, but had I known beta testing consisted of ONE mac guy on 10.3 (and no RTAS), I\'d never have bought the product till further testing had been done.

Ed

What do the problems mostly consist of?

Hi Ed,

I think you are probably right, but your comparsion (with tv sets) isn\'t applicable. I\'m a software developer myself and I know that there is almost no software without a bug. A software product has to be tested with every combination hard- and software has to offer. This alone is not possible. A tv set is an independent piece of hardware with a standard antenna input. If you plug in a hifi cinch signal into the antenna connector you wouldn\'t complain that the tv doesn\'t work properly, do you? So, it\'s a much more straight-forward process to produce a tv set .. no questions about what the end-user will do with it ..

But a bug isn\'t always a bug, respectively many bugs are really hard to find. I developed lots of programs that seem to work pretty well on my system - there wasn\'t any bug I could find. But on the users system I was troubled with lots of bugs that I coudn\'t reproduce on my machine. You see, it\'s sometimes really hard to release a no-bug software. Many bugs may occur only if one has installed driver x.xx of a specific soundcard, so a software developer has to find a workaround for a bug that is primarily not based on his own code [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] The end-user however says: there is a bug in your software, I paid a 300 bucks and this damn thing won\'t work.

Btw, I hate buggy software myself. Many bugs seem to be so obvious that one may ask what the hell are these developers doing the whole day long... So I\'m generally with you - attitude-wise [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Malte

Ed --

Do you know of any softsynth that really runs well on Pro Tools? I don\'t. As I said before, with Unity I get about three or four sounds -- same as GPO.

If you\'ve gone beyond three or four sounds in Pro Tools with some other softsynth, I\'d be curious to hear about it. Eager, in fact.

Jasper

What\'s the difficulty in converting GPO to giga format? I mean, assuming Mr. Garritan still has the raw audio files he used to create the library in the first plce, making a GPO Giga library would be just a matter of time, no?

I haven\'t used the instrument editor for anything more than the (awesome) tutorials on Mr. Govett\'s CD, but it seems like there would be more time, than difficulty [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

And I\'d just like to go out on a limb and say that if GPO were to be released as a Giga library, I\'d pay more than the 250 I spent for this one [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

- Junkspeare

GigaStudio does not have the features for GPO to work including dimensions, filters, legato mode, flex envelopes, etc. Not even sure if GigaStudio 3.0 has these features. It would take 3 computers running GigaStudio to get the MIDI channels and polyphony I currently get in GPO. You would also need to purchase GigaStudio which would triple the price of the library. GigaStudio doesn\'t work at all in the MAC world. The GigaStudio market is much smaller than the intended GPO target market.

Originally posted by deceptivesound:
    Ed --

Do you know of any softsynth that really runs well on Pro Tools? I don\'t. As I said before, with Unity I get about three or four sounds -- same as GPO.

If you\'ve gone beyond three or four sounds in Pro Tools with some other softsynth, I\'d be curious to hear about it. Eager, in fact.

Jasper
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I can get about, roughly, four zillion or so sounds going in Reason via rewire. No prob.

Sure wish Gary\'s library worked with the Reason sampler.

The Access Virus plug works great, too.

Back in the old OS9 and MAS world I lived in for many years, NI stuff worked well.

So far, the update is working well except the graphics for the VAR1 and VAR2 functions disappear randomly.

I can live with that.

Ed

Originally posted by DelFuvio:
    I would *love* to hear a demo of pop-rock stuff using GPO. Just through I\'d throw that in there. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Descendant - Act 1 - montage

Start about 1:45 to the end. You\'ll hear GPO strings (run through Voxengo Pristine Space with an Ernest Cholakis impulse that came with GOS) with Virtual Guitarist (effected by iZotope Spectron) with DIVAX singing a few obligato notes over the top (again through PSpace). [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum