• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Required Equipment

Share/Bookmark

Required Equipment

I\'ve just come across this sound library after speaking with Jeremy Soule on another forum. After listening to most of the demonstrations of the product, I was duly impressed.

However, I am still somewhat in disbelief! This is simply software to be installed on a computer? I have been using Roland Synth products over the past years, so the thought of requiring only an adequate computer system for that sort of sound is truly astonishing. My question is just that; Is the software and a computer the only required elements needed to create sounds as shown in the demonstrations?

Re: Required Equipment

Sorahiko,
    I\'ve been a Roland user for years as well and couldn\'t get over what I hears as well what can be done with GPO. I am sure some one will answer your hardware question but let me tell you it is worth every penny! I purchased my GPO package on Wednesday of this past week. Aside from getting my sequencer software, midi controls, sound card setting set, I am truly in love with the sounds. But, I\'ll allways have use for Roland as well. GPO is the luxtury in orchestrating on PC I never thought could be possible at such a reasonable price. Plus, Mr. Garritan is truly wonderful in helping out with any issues you may find. Take the plung! You will not regret it.

Originally posted by Sorahiko:
    I\'ve just come across this sound library after speaking with Jeremy Soule on another forum. After listening to most of the demonstrations of the product, I was duly impressed.

However, I am still somewhat in disbelief! This is simply software to be installed on a computer? I have been using Roland Synth products over the past years, so the thought of requiring only an adequate computer system for that sort of sound is truly astonishing. My question is just that; Is the software and a computer the only required elements needed to create sounds as shown in the demonstrations?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Yes Sorahiko, all you need is a PC and GOP, and you have enough to produce the beautiful sounds you\'ve been hearing in the demo\'s. There is no contest between GPO and any other soft sampler in that price range, IMO.

Rick

Originally posted by Sorahiko:
    This is simply software to be installed on a computer? I have been using Roland Synth products over the past years,
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">It does help that GPO takes many times more memory than your Roland Synth, so the quality of the samples are likely to be much better too.

But other than that, yes, a computer, GPO, and some sequencing skills is all it takes.

V.

Alright, I\'ve bought a new laptop with 2.0 Ghz and 1GB of RAM. I have a few more question before I purchase the product.

First of all, what\'s the difference between \"Garritan Orchestral Strings\" and \"Garritan Personal Orchestra\"? Is the former just a product that including the strings from GPO? Does GPO have as high quality of string sounds as GOS?

Secondly, what exactly is this \"Kontakt\" I seem to see everywhere? In a Sibelius 3 brochure I have, a \"Kontakt Player\" is mentioned. It seems to be a small sound library. How does this relate to GPO/GOS and do I need it? My guess is that it\'s something often used as an input device, but I really don\'t have much of a clue. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Although I don\'t know exactly how it works, what I\'d like to do is have GPO installed on my computer and use it with Sibelius so that when I write notes and play back my compositions in Sibelius, the sound quality is as shown on the GPO website. I\'m also interested in making MP3s of my work with Sibelius/GPO so that when I perform with a smaller band, I can have my realistic orchestral arrangements pre-recorded and playing alongside us.

Also, do I have to spend hours mixing each piece or does the quality shown in the demonstrations appear just from using GPO with my notation programs?

Thank you for being so helpful!

GOS = 12GBs of strings
    GPO = 2GBs total

The section strings in GPO were mostly taken from GOS Lite, GOS Full is a HUGE section string library that includes too many articulations to list (so you know Gary just had to list them, you can find the list on his site).

GOS includes a lot of stuff not found on the GPO strings, but GOS is section strings only, no solo strings like you get with GPO, the new Garritan Solo Strings will fix that though...

The quality of the demos is achived mostly by using GPO in a sequencer where you can tweak mod wheel and velocity settings. Although people have gotten good results by using just a notation program, I would suggest using the included Cubasis to tweak the performance... it usually doen\'t take hours. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Sorahiko

what exactly is this \"Kontakt\" I seem to see everywhere
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I don\'t know how familiar you are with softsampling and sequencing, so forgive me for trying to be basic.

When you write music inside a sequencer (like Sibelius, but there are more versatile ones, I\'ll mention in a bit), in order to hear your sounds, you need some sort of playback device. Everybody\'s soundcard comes with built-in \'midi-sounds\' (the stuff that sounds like Super Nintendo music... *sigh). Softsamplers (like Kontakt) take the place of those (bad bad BAD!) midi sounds. But Kontakt itself does not contain sounds, it is like.. the \'medium\' for your sounds. That is, you load your sounds INTO kontakt, and then tell your sequencing program which sound to play when it\'s playing back (so your violins are violins and not horns!).

More information can be found HERE

what I\'d like to do is have GPO installed on my computer and use it with Sibelius so that when I write notes and play back my compositions in Sibelius, the sound quality is as shown on the GPO website
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">It\'s not THAT easy, but don\'t get discouraged. The problem with programs like Sebilius and Finale is that they don\'t allow you as much control over midi information as does, say, Sonar (my sequencer of choice). Others, like Logic, and Cubase, are just as good!

To find out how to USE GPO, check out this link:

http://www.garritan.com/control.html

Read the section on Personal Orchestra Controls. Very informative, very classy! That\'s the gist (or is it jist?).

- Junk

So I would have to acquire Kontakt and install GPO and then inform Kontakt to use the GPO to play back what I\'m writing in my sequencer?

I\'m very greatly attached to Sibelius, so I\'d like to know what exactly it\'s disadvantages are when it comes to softsampling. Another concern of mine is the soundcard. I don\'t need some fancy soundcard while using GPO because the GPO sounds just replace the soundcard\'s, right? Or does a better soundcard somehow improve the performance of GPO?

I tend to use strings very heavily in my compositions, but I of course want to have the sounds of the rest of the orchestra. I hope that GPO can provide me with the strings I need as I don\'t have the budget to buy both! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

You may have already guessed, but I am very new to softsampling. For years I just used General MIDI (Not fun!) and then proceeded to using Roland Hardware and now this business of Sound Libraries and Soundcards is confusing me. I\'m very proficient with computers though and I hope to make my way through all these questions I have with you guys\' help! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

...though at the moment, it seems like I would have to just see for myself. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

PS: I don\'t have a \"modwheel\", but the Roland keyboard that I use does have a pitch lever. I wasn\'t planning on hooking my keyboard up to my computer anyway, as I\'ve always used click-input for notes.

Sorahiko,
    GPO actually comes with a \'light\' version of the Kontakt, so you do not need to acquire it separately.

I cannot comment on Sibelius as I do not use it.
    Your assumption about the sound card is correct. You would be using GPO sounds rather than the internal sounds from the sound card.

The unique control setup of GPO allows you to emulate a variety of string articulations but not all by any means, so it would depend on what articulations you need. Most seem to feel energetic,forceful staccato sample is needed.The sounds themselves are quite good.

I got GPO about 1 1/2 months ago & I am using it for pop music tracks in everything from solo instances to full orchestration and the people I have worked with so far have been quite happy with it.

I would strongly recommend getting one of the Pitch Wheel to Mod Wheel utilites on the forum here & at least using your wheel to record expression for your notes. I believe you would be happy with the marked increase in productivity this brings. Also the use of the sustain ppedal for alternating up & down bowing is faster than editing it all. That said, you can still get a good sound from just a scoring program

Thank you very much, Rodney! That pretty much sets my mind to rest. Though I still have one concern... did you mean that the string sounds in GPO are generally energetic and forceful as opposed to the GOS sounds which have everything? I often use very flowing strings which blend together smoothly. Very minor, very \"sad\". Surely the samples in GPO can achieve this?

Go Back to forum