• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Improve my trumpets

Improve my trumpets

Hello GPO pros,

I use Logic. I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips on how to improve trumpet (brass) parts from GPO, or any other libraries.

I made this piece, with some trumpets, which are not predominant, and I\'d like to make sure they come out as real as possible.

Re: Improve my trumpets

Sorry, i hit a button by mistake and didn\'t finish my post!

So here\'s the piece: http://www.akido.biz/zik/aKido_Neurones_Miroirs.mp3

Do you think they sound real enough? I\'m just not sure anymore. Maybe it doesn\'t matter.

Anyway i\'d appreciate some tips on improving brass parts, i always have problems with those.

Thanks a lot,

Improve how? That\'s a very ambiguous term. If you would like to make them more \'brassy\' add the overlay. Otherwise you will have to mess around with the ensemble maker. Try using different combinations. If you can describe what type of brass sound you\'re going after, I\'ll see if I can create it and let you know the settings and instruments I used.

I have a lot of faith in GPO [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

- Junkmonkey

Hi - Junkmonkey,

i\'m looking more for basic, general tips really. I know it\'s ambiguous, but i really just want to read a ton of tips and then use what fits at the time. :-) I\'m really new to brass samples!

Can a breath controller improve brass programming? Any examples, anyone?

It depends on what you want to do with your music. From what I can perceive from your music, you used your brass as pads. Adding reverb to it and contouring the envelopes using the mod wheel will add more depth.

Nice rhythm though!

The problem is that you´re not using brass like brass. You rather composed string or synth pads and used brass sounds for that. That will never sound like brass.
    Listen more to brass sections. They mostly do some kind of counterpointal setting. Badada-da-da-dididam etc. You need more notes, attacks, syncopations etc.

But, anyway, nice mood, your little piece.

Originally posted by mathis:
    The problem is that you´re not using brass like brass...
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hi,
    although they might not be very typical trumpet parts, i tried to imagine 2 trumpet players playing them. It\'s a simple, pad-like part. It\'s based on a two-guitar part, in the background. Basically, i\'m just looking for general tips, the \"recipe\" some power users here will use right after they\'ve entered a trumpet part in the sequencer. There must be some little tricks to learn!

There must be some little tricks to learn!
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">1) Let them take breath.
    2) Use them in an appropriate register. This register is more natural to trombones.
    3) Use them in their loudness. A trumpet is a loud instrument. Don´t mix in the back.
    4) Let them modulate their tone.

There´s nothing wrong to use a trumpet in a non-trumpet way, but then it never will sound natural, which I thought is your question.

Two tips for this song

1. Try some panning, perhaps not extreme left-right, but almost
    2. Blend it with trombones or something

I think i can here what you mean with two trumpets playing that padlike thing. It sounds nice in my head [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    Im not sure if you have modwheel maxxed, but if not, try it. you can always lower the volume when mixing ..

Tip 1+2: Use all the brass that fits and pan it. Make it fat (but the same db as it is now)

Good luck!

Go Back to forum