• Register
  • Help

Topic: Windows XP and Giga?

Share/Bookmark

Windows XP and Giga?

I know that Nemesys is bypassing Win2000 and heading for compatibility with Windows XP instead. I was reading an article on XP today and something caught my attention: XP will have a \"compatibility mode\" for running Win 9x and NT software. I know Nemesys are the only people who can really answer this but I\'m wondering if GigaStudio is truly going to be a \"native\" XP app - or whether it will be running in compatibility mode and what ramifications that might have for stability, etc. - Doug

Re: Windows XP and Giga?

Hi Doug,

As far as I know, compatibility mode only fools the program to think its running on a different version of Windows. This feature is actually included on the Win2k cd-rom. Unfortunately, you can\'t use it to make GigaStudio to think its on a Win98 machine and work correctly.

The XP version of Giga will be written for XP and should perform better than the Win98/Me version because the OS has better multitasking and is more stable.

But I could be wrong...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GigaBeliever2:
    But I could be wrong...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

...I hope you\'re not.

WindowsXP will perform better because it is ENTIRELY 32 bit vs. the 16/32 bit hybrid of Win9x. That\'s quite a bit. Oops.

However, disk-based data manipulation will be the last remaining bottleneck for quite some time.

Steve Mitchell
    The Classical MIDI Resource
    The CMR Players

Go Back to forum