• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Which is worse: GPO Vst or DXi?

Share/Bookmark

Which is worse: GPO Vst or DXi?

Okay

Everybody talks about the evils of Kontakt\'s DXi Player in Sonar 3PE. Maybe I\'m cursed, but I think the VST is worse - much worse.

VST Problems:
    1. Whenever I hit the stop button, if I haven\'t reached a note-off of whatever notes were currently played, those notes will continue to play on forever. VERY VERY annoying!!

2. When in the piano roll view, I cannot select a midi cc from the \'fly out\' because clicking the flyout button just doesn\'t do anything. It highlights the number and I have to manually type it in. ANNOYING!

DXi Problem:
    1. As of now, the only problem with DXi that I have experienced is when a note is held across a tempo change. This will result in the note sticking forever. Not so annoying because the work-around is to enter a note at the same pitch right after the note-off of the long note which would have otherwise held (and make the new small note inaudible). Some times it takes more than one! But at least it works.

So I ask: Which is worse, VST or DXi?

- Jonkmunkey

Re: Which is worse: GPO Vst or DXi?

VST problem 1: I have never had this happen.

VST problem 2: This also happens to me, but it isn\'t specific to GPO VST.

DXi problem: Yes, this happens to everyone, apparently.

On balance, I would have to say that the VST version is preferable.

Dan

Are you using Sonar? If so, ... this never happens?!?

My infinitely plagued life - I am the definition of Murphy\'s Law. Any thoughts as to why this might be happening to me?

I couldn\'t even finish the brass section of a piece I was working on (when I tried to use the VST) because every time I stopped, I\'d have 4 or 5 notes continuing to play on until I hit the appropriate note on my keyboard (or the kontakt keyboard / sonar piano roll kb). *sigh

- Thoughtlessly Junk

I too see the stuck notes with the vst version too but very infrequently. Have you installed the kontact upgrades and the Sonar 3.1 patch?

Not really answering your question here (DX vs VST)

Originally posted by Junkmonkey:
    Okay

Everybody talks about the evils of Kontakt\'s DXi Player in Sonar 3PE. Maybe I\'m cursed, but I think the VST is worse - much worse.

VST Problems:
    1. Whenever I hit the stop button, if I haven\'t reached a note-off of whatever notes were currently played, those notes will continue to play on forever. VERY VERY annoying!!
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Haven\'t seen this myself, with GPO or any other VST or DXi, and I\'ve been using Sonar 3 PE for months and months.

2. When in the piano roll view, I cannot select a midi cc from the \'fly out\' because clicking the flyout button just doesn\'t do anything. It highlights the number and I have to manually type it in. ANNOYING!
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">This is annoying. I believe it is an official bug in Cakewalks database. I\'m not certain what the cause is, but I too find it annoying (though the workaround is simple - better than crashing). However, it would be nice to have plug-ins show the CC mapping appropriately as they do with Pro 53, etc.

In the same vein I also find that I have to view all channels to see controller data - controllers that I\'ve recorded are on channel 1 (which is the output channel of my keyboard) and ones that I\'ve drawn in with the pencil tool are on the channel that is selected. It\'s strange that they both play back on the appropriate channel/instance. Again, I don\'t think it\'s really a problem with GPO, but with either Sonar or Kompakt.

DXi Problem:
    1. As of now, the only problem with DXi that I have experienced is when a note is held across a tempo change. This will result in the note sticking forever. Not so annoying because the work-around is to enter a note at the same pitch right after the note-off of the long note which would have otherwise held (and make the new small note inaudible). Some times it takes more than one! But at least it works.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I\'ll have to try some tempo changes - haven\'t had use for them yet...

Okay
    VST Problems:
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Happens to me too, but very rarely. Like once a week or so. And I don\'t think it\'s VST, because it was happening with soundfonts too (with SB Live). I guess it\'s Cakewalk. Or perhaps my WDM drivers. In fact, it can be anything. But it sure doesn\'t happen with VST only.

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Same problem here- it\'s Sonar (in my case version 2.2) not VST.

DXi tempo bug is a nasty thing. Believe me, it\'s much worse than anything you can run into when using VST version of Kontakt player.

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">That actually happens to me with GPO Studio but not with the VST plug-in...

DXi tempo bug is a nasty thing. Believe me, it\'s much worse than anything you can run into when using VST version of Kontakt player.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I\'ll have to disagree. The work-around is cake. Just add very short note to the end of the note that would\'ve otherwise been sustained.

The VST problem on the other hand (which you guys may have convinced me is not a \'vst\' problem, but for the sake of this thread I\'ll refer to it as such) has no easy work-around. There is nothing I can do to stop the notes other than hitting the SAME note again (that means, same channel/track!). So for each sustained note, I\'d have to hit.... yea, you get the idea.

Also, I hope I didn\'t imply this was a \"GPO VST\" thing! I clearly didn\'t mean to blame it on gpo [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I have too much faith in that library to post negatively about it!

Concluding, I have the latest kontakt update, but not the Sonar Patch. Is it possible that my hardware is causing the sustain? Hardware is as follows:

2x Maxtor 120GB 6Y120M0 HD
    Creative Labs Audigy2 Platinum Pro ZS
    Abit KV7 Mobo
    Athlon 3000
    512mb DDR400 PC3200

I also have a terratec card for giga compatibility.

Thanks for the input, guys.

- Junk

I use the GPO Studio with Sonar 3 and I don\'t seem to have any one the problems that you guys are having, (as I go run to find the nearest piece of wood to knock on!!!) [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Jonny

VST GPO works flawlessly in Cubase SX.

Go Back to forum