• Register
  • Help

Topic: Godowsky Manuscripts

Share/Bookmark

Godowsky Manuscripts

I usually don't have a great deal of interest in seeing original hand copies, preferring to leave that to the scholars. However, I am pleased, as well as apprehensive, about some handwritten manuscripts of Leopold Godowsky being in my hands for a brief time in just a few days. I am very interested in examining them, and hearing some comments on them. I am nervous that my asthma or allergic response well be triggered by the old paper. I will not hold them as I look them over. The will be on a table, and I will have plenty of handkerchiefs and kleenex handy for protection in case of ill timed cough or sneeze. I have a reproduction of his arrangement of Home, Sweet Home, but I am not sure if it is his hand. I hope it is not!

I am so pleased with this happening that I just had to pass it on.

Richard

Re: Godowsky Manuscripts

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland View Post
    I usually don't have a great deal of interest in seeing original hand copies, preferring to leave that to the scholars. However, I am pleased, as well as apprehensive, about some handwritten manuscripts of Leopold Godowsky being in my hands for a brief time in just a few days. I am very interested in examining them, and hearing some comments on them. I am nervous that my asthma or allergic response well be triggered by the old paper. I will not hold them as I look them over. The will be on a table, and I will have plenty of handkerchiefs and kleenex handy for protection in case of ill timed cough or sneeze. I have a reproduction of his arrangement of Home, Sweet Home, but I am not sure if it is his hand. I hope it is not!

I am so pleased with this happening that I just had to pass it on.

Richard

That is major excitement. I have rarely experienced having original manuscripts to examine. Is it possible to put one or two of the pages on here for us to see?

Tom

This sounds interesting. Probably more interesting than when my daughter took me to the Seattle Art Museum years ago to look at the Bill Gates Da Vinci manuscripts, which turned out to be one piece of yellowed manuscript in a foreign language with no sort of translation, displayed in glass case in the middle of a very crowded room. The conversations that I heard were ones of perplexity and disappointment if not outright hostility. A precursor to Windows 8?

But there was also a large Warhol showing upstairs which made the trip and expense worth while.

Well, after numerous attempts, Antonio and I finally managed to be available at the same time. Most recent delay was caused by three inconsiderate 300 ft redwoods attempting to destroy his house!

He brought an assortment of manuscripts, music scores as well as personal correspondence by and about Leopold Godowski. Later, I will post a link to some of them. His handwriting is beautiful, and his music manuscript is exquisite. The man had a sharp tongue when he criticized some of the flashy unmusical "virtuoso" pianists of the time. He seems like the sort of person I would have enjoyed knowing. One of his letters surprised me. He mentioned having severe losses in the 1929 stock market crash, and was in dire financial condition.

Side benefit from the visit: I showed him a section of a piece under construction, which he liked enough to ask me to complete it so he could play it. I began writing the piece with him in mind. So now, to work to finish the movement.

Richard

Go Back to forum