• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: work in progress.. GPO featuring shamisen player

Share/Bookmark

Re: work in progress.. GPO featuring shamisen player

I love it! Very interesting, and the buildup in the middle is very powerful. I can definitely picture this accompanying some nice video footage.

Hi kensuguro,

oh .. what a tune. I love this piece even without the video [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I really love this orchestral/traditional style mix, it reminds me of a soundtrack from Tan Dun (Tiger&Dragon), maybe one or two motions remind me of Sakamoto, but that could be the instrumentation and my (european) ears ignorance [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] - read this as a compliment [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Too bad that the mix is really distorted when it gets louder.

Compliments,

Malte

Great tune and nice arrangement! However, I have to agree that the mix is really harsh on the high end.

If you\'re interested in controlling some of the high frequency \"escalation\" where the cymbal roll competes with the shamisen for that part of the spectrum, I\'d suggest going to a lower tone in the suspended cymbal. Perhaps a low velocity hit on the tam-tam would give you a nice throaty ring-out.

In any case, it\'s really nice, and the comments on the high end might be attributable to the mp3 conversion, which tends to be particularly difficult on high frequencies. It may not be a problem at all when playing through typical TV speakers, but may be worth a second pass with EQ or instrument change if you think this is going to play on high-end systems.

Good show - keep it coming. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

ah! thanx for the tip! Actually, I was trying to get more highs, as the shamisen was extermely high frequency abundant. As you guys said, it\'s probably a better idea to bring out contrast rather than having the other instruments compete with the shamisen. The distortion thing should be fixed in the final mix. I just had to pump it so it got through to the clients. It\'s the whole loudness mumbo-jumbo. :-) By the way, you guys heard exactly right, I\'m pumping the mix through overdrive. hehe.

I\'m actually having a real hard time controlling the shamisen. It obviously isn\'t a typical orchestra instrument, and so timbre contradiction/unbalance is obviously there. Most I can do is to control the shamisen\'s reverb and EQ, which I can\'t do much of as it ruins the instrument\'s taste. I\'ll be doing some more work on it... like, today.

Thanx for the positive vibes guys! I\'ll take it straight into the today\'s recording session. :-)

Very nice! Love the violin sound (is that GPO?)

I think you should bring the shamisen more to the front. Might just be a personal preference. The piece seems to border between \'eastern\' and \'western\' on account of the shamisen!

I really like the balance of styles.

The only thing I would like to see is the shamisen brought forward in the mix. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

- Junk

Kensuguru
    Wonderful! Excellent arrangment and orchestration. You have a nice way of blending musical cultures.

I have always wanted to sample an oriental orchestra. Koto and shamisen are among my favorite oriental instruments.

For those unfamiliar with a shamisen, it is lute-like instrument with 3 strings. The shamisen is a traditional Japanese instrument and is one of the most popular of Japanese musical instruments.
    here is an illustration:

Thanks Kesuguru for sharing this. I can\'t wait to hear the completed mix.

Gary Garritan

A very nice composition. 100 points.

But here some feedback how it sounded for my humble ears:

-as already said...the overall sound is too harsh

-don\'t overdo the tremolo at 0:48. I know the seduction is big cause we hear a true bow articulation in a trem sample....but don\'t exaggerate it. Only a subtle dose. Perhaps mix 1st and 2nd Violin, one with trem, the other without..and then blend/fade them into each other. Just my opinion.

-the integration of the solo instrument is not yet optimal. Search another frequency gap. Until now it sounds as it does not play among the orchestra.

But...as you said...a work in progress...and I am sure the end result will be BIG. Please post an excerpt of the movie then...if you are allowed..

Cheers!

work in progress.. GPO featuring shamisen player

made for a video piece filmed in HiDef cam. It\'s a promo clip for a company that makes and markets HiDef cinema gear, and my friend was lucky enough to direct it! (and so that makes me lucky too)

Anyhow, I decided to use GPO for the project. We just recorded a live award winning shamisen player. We\'ll also be recording some live hichiriko (a handmade single reed instrument) over this.

I\'ve yet to optimize the shamisen timbre in the mix, but please check it out. I\'m interested in hearing some initial opinions as this is the first time this piece will see light.

http://www.iface.ne.jp/~ken/shamisenredo_16.mp3

I have to admit tho, I still have a tendency to steer away from contrapuntal style.. and the piece itself is a bit illogical without the video. But I did play around quite a lot with the initial theme. Luv the cello!

The video should be done by mid April, and by then I will have complete copyright to the material. (y\'all will definitely see it)

One last point.. I\'ll be honest and say that the part right after the cello solo sounds vaguely like Francesco\'s \"sad composer\" demo.. Well, I really like that tune. Didn\'t mean to copy it tho.

-don\'t overdo the tremolo at 0:48. I know the seduction is big cause we hear a true bow articulation in a trem sample....but don\'t exaggerate it. Only a subtle dose. Perhaps mix 1st and 2nd Violin, one with trem, the other without..and then blend/fade them into each other. Just my opinion.

-the integration of the solo instrument is not yet optimal. Search another frequency gap. Until now it sounds as it does not play among the orchestra.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Nice tip on the tremolo. Didn\'t think about blending it.. maybe I\'ll consider blending it with some non tremolo 2nd violins. A 3 part divisi tremolo amongst the viola seems to be more than enough for the violas.

About the high end thing, I think I\'ll go back and fiddle around with the percussion section a bit, and also juggle around some parts to create some space for the shamisen, and also the hichiriko which I recorded today. I created the orchestration first, and had the tendency the automatically \"fill in the gaps\", leaving less room for the to-be recorded instruments. Happens to me all the when writing pop vocal pieces.

Anyhow, I\'ve got all my live material recorded, so now I\'ll go back to tweaking the orchestra. Thanx for all the tips!

Wow! What talent! I love pieces that can take me away from all of this. As a percussionist I was very impressed with your arrangement with the instruments. Cymbals a little over the top but negligible. Wow! Can\'t wait to hear more. Hope you don\'t mind I included the piece in my player here at work along with others (Viking I & II). They render sanity to this crazy school!
    Nice! Very nice!!
    Gary G. you’ve got to be beaming with pride at these results! I am impressed.

Go Back to forum