• Register
  • Help

Topic: Memory Hogs and Clicking results

Share/Bookmark

Memory Hogs and Clicking results

I was trying to take a simple piano piece that I had previously produced in Cubase SX (2) with the Platinum Gran 24 (using HALion). All I wanted to do is to substitute the Steinway Grand from GPO and compare the sound.

So I loaded the Cubase SX project and switched the VST from HALion (discarding) to GPO. At the time I did this, there was approximately 775K remaining in my 1 gig system (a dedicated, isolated music-only 2.66 gHz P-4).

In GPO, I select LOAD / DRY and down to Keyboards and the eventual Steinway Grand (the one at the bottom). During the course of the loading process (at 20% to be precise), I get the message \"Memory is getting low\". Further on (around 28%) I get \"Physical memory is getting very low -- do you really want to proceed?\". Monitoring memory in the Windows XP Task Manager, I can see that we are down to around 15 meg at this point, but I proceed anyway. Loading finishes (looking like it has just \"thrown up its hands\" at around 44%.

When I play the piece, it\'s full of crackles and clicks -- very similar to the problem that I originally posted here: http://www.northernsounds.com/ubb/NonCGI/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=18;t=001485

Since the suggestions made by Gary in that thread I have ONLY been using \"DRY\" instruments with relative success. (I still can\'t load any \"hefty\" instrument -- like the full Organ or a piano -- without blowing memory.)

I\'m stalled here on using ANY of the \"larger\" instruments, it would seem.

ANY IDEAS?

tia -- kev [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Re: Memory Hogs and Clicking results

Kev,
    Man I thought it was just me. Same thing happend trying to load the Steinway Grand \"Dry\" sample. Same warnings and same results. My system seems to mirror yours. I have opted in getting more ram installed next week. The GPO team must have an answer.

Originally posted by KevinKauai:
    At the time I did this, there was approximately 775K remaining in my 1 gig system (a dedicated, isolated music-only 2.66 gHz P-4).
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">You meant 775MB of RAM remaining, out of 1GB of total system memory, right?

kev,

I just tried it and am not able to replicate the problem. I am wondering if it is a buffer setting or something else. Email me your number and I\'ll give a call and try to troubleshoot this.

Gary Garritan

Yes, MEG not K. (I get my megs and K mixed up a lot ... you should be around me writing checks!)

I\'ll ring your office tomorrow (Friday), Gary. I have heaps of cell time.

thanks ... Kev

Go Back to forum