• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Big Band GPO?

Share/Bookmark

Big Band GPO?

Is it verboten to ask about this?

I wonder because I\'ve spent the last few hours reading most of the messages currently available here and only read one *tiny* hint about it -- on the Sonar forum they are talking about it quite a bit (well, in comparison to here :>)

As much as I love GPO I really miss having Sax -- even an orchestra should have them <g> -- and while getting a good Sax may well be beyond the ability of even Gary\'s programmer I\'d sure love to see him give it a try (I\'m of the feeling that a quality midi Sax is really something that can only be done with a vocoder type setup, using a human voice as the controller). I\'m guessing that a Big Band GPO would have to include at least a shot at this.

Re: Big Band GPO?

Gary has mentioned it in passing here a couple of times, I\'m sure he\'s working on it just as hard as he is working on his other projects, all of which we all wish could come out tomorrow! But he\'s only one man and can only do ten things at once... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Maybe the Big Band add-on got pushed to #11...

I\'m sure we\'ll hear more about it as it developes.

Originally posted by Mike Kelley:
    ...and while getting a good Sax may well be beyond the ability of even Gary\'s programmer I\'d sure love to see him give it a try...
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">And I would give Tom a whole lot more credit than this...

A big band/studio band module that\'s as easy to use as GPO would be a winner.

Like Mike, I wonder if a good sax really is possible [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] I hope so, but if it is, I might be out of a job.

Originally posted by Alan Lastufka:
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">And I would give Tom a whole lot more credit than this... [/QUOTE]

I\'m not putting Tom down -- the GPO is so far above anything I ever thought I would have he must be some kind of genius -- but the very nature of the Sax itself seems to defy automation attempts.

Truly, the Sax is probably the closest instrument we have to the human voice and I can\'t really imagine how it could be programmed in any of the same way as the other instruments (one of the reasons it was left out of classical orchestras for so long was that no one could really play it well -- there is almost an analogy here in the MIDI world).

But as I said -- I\'m first in line if Gary ever releases something like this.

I agree with Mike that saxophones are among the most difficult instruments to successfully sample. And as a confirmation of that opinion you should note that every time in the past 20 years that I have needed a saxophone in a piece of music I have hired a real player to come into the studio and record the part. I have never for a moment entertained the thought of using samples in place of a live saxophonist. For one thing, it’s so much easier to have a great player give you a half dozen fantastic solos (to choose from) in the space of an afternoon instead of spending a huge amount of time editing samples with results that inevitably pale in comparison. Having said that:

For sketchbook mockup purposes (as with GPO) the saxophones in the upcoming Jazz add-on should be very useful, especially for section work. I will be applying the considerable tools available in Kontakt to squeeze as much performance from the samples as I possibly can. I’m as curious as you are to see what kind of results can be attained. We’ll have to wait and see.

Frankly, I will continue to bring a real player into the studio every time I need a saxophone solo. I don’t expect that fact-of-musical-life to change anytime soon. But who knows what future technology will bring? I’ve been surprised before.

Tom

P.S. Thanks for all the kind words - even when they’re hyperbolic. I’m glad that you find the programming valuable.

Tom, King Idiot mentioned his use of full Kontakt\'s time machine feature with saxes to bring a bit more realism to the sound. I\'ve played with it using QLB saxes to good effect. Just wondering whether you could hook that feature in a new design of GPO\'s Kontakt player, i.e., is the player a well defined application or is it a negotiated application agreed on by NI and the player developer based on the all features of full Kontakt\'s capabilities .

Nothing to do with GPO, but wasnt Yellow Tools developing a Sax library called Candy? I have hopes from that. Any news on it?

Here it is, 9 GBs worth of Sax -

http://www.audiomidi.com/common/cfm/product.cfm?Product_ID=4695

Originally posted by Tom Hopkins:

For sketchbook mockup purposes (as with GPO) the saxophones in the upcoming Jazz add-on should be very useful, especially for section work.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I want, I want, I want -- oh, wait, I think I already said this.

Who do I write the check for and for what amount? Please, Tom, get the Jazz add-on out as soon as possible <bg>.

(And, yes, I think I\'d strictly expect any sax stuff to be useful in section work only -- although controlling it inside Sonar with the free vocoder plug-in might be a lot of fun)

Tom, just adding my plea-so you know we\'re waiting...

There\'s nothing like great sax - and in sections (or groups,) it\'s even better...

Dasher

Go Back to forum